• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 Recruiting Numbers Game & Other Updates; Part 6: Potential Silver Lining To NU's Small Class Numbers in 2022

This needs pointing out. Basil made a post directly related to the 2022 Husker recruiting class, but it wasn't a "yay things are great post." Two others respond and try to make it personal with Basil. Only Basil is warned. Is there a rule somewhere that only sunshine pumping is allowed? There are legitimate reasons to be concerned about recruiting and discussing it in a thread dedicated to this recruiting class seems a reasonable place to have that conversation.

I thought this was going to be a small class by design and likely due to low numbers rated in the lower half of the B1G unless we sign only 5 stars.

Did I miss something?
It is. It's also missing star power and Omaha flavor. We seem to he whiffing on some of the guys we thought we had. It's not time to panic but there's definitely some cause for concern. Seems like a fair discussion to have.

It is. It's also missing star power and Omaha flavor. We seem to he whiffing on some of the guys we thought we had. It's not time to panic but there's definitely some cause for concern. Seems like a fair discussion to have.

I don't think the '22 class will flesh out with stars until we start winning this fall. It's early, IMO. I also think virtually the entire class is undervalued from a 'star' standpoint. I like most of the kids in it and think there are some real gems there. I'm not a recruiting guru like a lot of you guys, but I watched a bit of all of their film. The Omaha thing is overblown, IMO.

All that said, it certainly does seem like a fair discussion. Emphasis on fair.

I don't think the '22 class will flesh out with stars until we start winning this fall. It's early, IMO. I also think virtually the entire class is undervalued from a 'star' standpoint. I like most of the kids in it and think there are some real gems there. I'm not a recruiting guru like a lot of you guys, but I watched a bit of all of their film. The Omaha thing is overblown, IMO.

All that said, it certainly does seem like a fair discussion. Emphasis on fair.
Agree with the first sentence. We'll see on the undervalued thing. I disagree on the Omaha part. I think that is a bigger deal than most want to admit and shows that the staff has work to do to build up that relationship.

Agree with the first sentence. We'll see on the undervalued thing. I disagree on the Omaha part. I think that is a bigger deal than most want to admit and shows that the staff has work to do to build up that relationship.

You're right. We'll see....and likely not for three or four years.

So I may have missed the Omaha conversations of the past, but Omaha is no the Omaha of years past.

Yes, we should get first dibs on D1 kids in Omaha. No, we don't have the pull we did in years past and that's not entirely due to post Osborne Nebraska football's relative anonymity. When I lived in Nebraska in the early '70's, Omaha wasn't the melting pot from elsewhere it is now. Most kids wanted to go to NU, because they grew up there and...well....it was the state school AND really good. Now it's a mix of people from all over with ties to other parts of the country. That doesn't mean we dismiss an Omaha Burke kid because he only played two years there and his dad is a Boston College grad, but we don't get many automatics anymore. It's going to take winning football AND work by the staff to get back to most kids from Nebraska picking the Huskers first. Both of those things have to happen and regardless of how hard the staff has or hasn't worked, the winning pice hasn't been there.

Win this fall and things will start the slow climb back to what it was.

Not trying to ruin it. I understand the title of the thread to be a recruiting update thread. Things are not looking good; it’s shaping up to be one of the worst rated classes we’ve had in some time. I’m concerned.

I never knew you were into recruiting until recently ;)

Or maybe I've missed something all these years?

Hope you will stick around in the future good or bad.....

Last edited:

It's been well documented over the past 2 years that the top 3 players from the Omaha area this year were never going to come to NU. Those players said from the beginning that they were going elsewhere for various reasons.
They said they were never coming to NU? Where was this documented? I don't recall ever seeing that. I know it was never a given and NU was going to have to work for it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back