• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 O Line, What Should We Expect?

Good question

Only article I have seen that makes that claim

Frankly I find it hard to believe that any NFL team would pay a coach like that. Defies logic in my opinion

However, that's my opinion
He was being hired as an “independent contractor” which doesn’t sound like assistant offensive line coach

Mercifully we don't have to wait much longer to see the O-line in action. Everyone can then judge for themselves the results DR has worked with the O-line. :Corn2:
Although.......... the NW game last year was one of the few where the O-line looked good. Might have to wait until the OU game and see if our O can start the game without consecutive FS penalties.

I’ll call this “my opinion”. I believe Scott frost did have other options. One successful high profile one who wanted more than we wanted to pay.

Also my understanding is Trev didn’t require any firings. I have said this several times. I give SF a lot of credit for initiating the turnover with no demands from Trev
We will never know exactly what went down there. I wish we would have paid top dollar to existing top notch offensive line coach. We should have learned by now that position is way too important!

Although.......... the NW game last year was one of the few where the O-line looked good. Might have to wait until the OU game and see if our O can start the game without consecutive FS penalties.
Assuming it goes well that might well be the case. If it doesn't go well I hate to think of the incomming on a bad outcome. :mad:

He was being hired as an “independent contractor” which doesn’t sound like assistant offensive line coach

12ab5609-6c8d-4508-988f-0d5faf17e55e_text.gif

I take it as Frost had no other credible options to hire so he had to roll the dice with Raiola. I would imagine that firing Austin was one of the first things that Alberts insisted on. The fan base and boosters probably wanted Austin out.

Austin had to go, but both Joseph and Whipple could have gone anywhere. If Frost could sell those 2 into coming to Lincoln, he could have sold a different OL coach if he wanted.

A good quote by Hiestand to give some background on what to expect from Raiola in terms of philosophy (unfortunately, this is what Austin didn't bring to this team, IMO)

und.com

Quotes from Notre Dame Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator Harry Hiestand

und.com
und.com
and
"
On his success of developing offensive lineman and making them NFL ready
“I think it is the fundamental approach to the game. We are going to constantly challenge our guys to be sound in technique and fundamentals. We are not going to be so consumed in scheme and who we are blocking, but rather how we are blocking them is always part of the equation. It is critical that they know what to do, how to do it and then do it in a tough, physical and aggressive way. We instill that by our drills. We instill it every day when you come into the building by doing it as hard as you can do it with focus and intensity. We are going to be a physically and mentally tough group, play in and play out, but that’s going to be developed on a daily basis. It will always be part of what we do. It’s not just going to be about, `You’ve got the five technique, you’ve got the nose guard.’ Rather, it is how you got the five and how you got the nose guard. It is where you are putting your pads. It’s getting underneath people, running them off the football, staying after them and continually emphasizing that every day.”

We will never know exactly what went down there. I wish we would have paid top dollar to existing top notch offensive line coach. We should have learned by now that position is way too important!

Fans will just have to wait for The Frost Bites podcast to come out to get all of the behind the scenes information. :thumbsup:

Sipple just noted that "Benhart looks good." When has that been said up til now? I understand the safety in your aspiration to buy a coach, but what in Raiola do you see that wasn't what Frost has said he's looking for?
Hopefully it is something other than pay history.

Last edited:

Sipple just noted that "Benhart looks good." When has that been said up til now? I understand the safety in your aspiration to buy a coach, but what in Raiola do you see that wasn't what Frost has said he's looking for?
Hopefully it is something other than pay history.

I truly hope Sipple is right. By the way, how much of each practice is the media allowed to watch…stretching?

Last edited:
Austin had to go, but both Joseph and Whipple could have gone anywhere. If Frost could sell those 2 into coming to Lincoln, he could have sold a different OL coach if he wanted.

A good quote by Hiestand to give some background on what to expect from Raiola in terms of philosophy (unfortunately, this is what Austin didn't bring to this team, IMO)

und.com

Quotes from Notre Dame Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator Harry Hiestand

und.com
und.com
and
"
On his success of developing offensive lineman and making them NFL ready
“I think it is the fundamental approach to the game. We are going to constantly challenge our guys to be sound in technique and fundamentals. We are not going to be so consumed in scheme and who we are blocking, but rather how we are blocking them is always part of the equation. It is critical that they know what to do, how to do it and then do it in a tough, physical and aggressive way. We instill that by our drills. We instill it every day when you come into the building by doing it as hard as you can do it with focus and intensity. We are going to be a physically and mentally tough group, play in and play out, but that’s going to be developed on a daily basis. It will always be part of what we do. It’s not just going to be about, `You’ve got the five technique, you’ve got the nose guard.’ Rather, it is how you got the five and how you got the nose guard. It is where you are putting your pads. It’s getting underneath people, running them off the football, staying after them and continually emphasizing that every day.”

Good stuff thank you!

I think what I'm expecting based on what we've heard is a more simplified, hit-someone-and-move-them system that lets the line think less and just get after it more. With that, hopefully less free-running D-linemen/LBs in our backfield blowing up plays. I don't know what Austin was doing, but I've never seen so much standing around, confusion over who to hit (so not hitting anyone) and plays that got blown up before they started.

Between Raiola, Applewhite (who knows the run game and has coached some line) and Whip . . . there's a better core approach to pass blocking and run blocking.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back