• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 MLB Season Discussion Thread

Phillies with a huge win tonight.

They scored 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th off Sandy Alcantara -- who is one of the top 5 pitchers in all of baseball. And they did it with a bunch of singles -- because it's very difficult hitting homers off Alcantara.

Consider only two starting pitchers are top five in both ERA and WHIP: Alcantara and Verlander. However, Alcantara has only given up 8 homers in 166 innings. Verlander has given up 12 in 30 fewer innings.

The Kansas City Royals would like to say hello. :thumbsup:

Sluggerrr-Kansas-City-Royals-Mascot-featured.jpg
The difference between the 2 is the royals emptied the farm system to buy the missing pieces to add to their group of veterans who were about to have their contracts expire. Everyone knew 2015 was likely the last chance the Royals would have for a while.

The Nats on the other hand had a generational talent in his early 20's in Soto as well as another top 10-15 bat in Turner, plus an elite SP in scherzer. They had a core to continue with but decided to tear it down.

At least that's my opinion on the matter :)

The difference between the 2 is the royals emptied the farm system to buy the missing pieces to add to their group of veterans who were about to have their contracts expire. Everyone knew 2015 was likely the last chance the Royals would have for a while.

The Nats on the other hand had a generational talent in his early 20's in Soto as well as another top 10-15 bat in Turner, plus an elite SP in scherzer. They had a core to continue with but decided to tear it down.

The Nationals had the luxury of being able to let Harper go and spread the money around on an already loaded team. Soto-Turner-Rendon-Zimmerman was enough firepower for the playoffs when they had two lights-out starting pitchers. I could be wrong, but I believe they had to trade off a lot of minor league to have that long of contention window, something like 8 years.

I always thought the greatest move a GM can make is to know when to tear it down and rebuild. Understanding the window of contention is so important. Hang on too long, you will get into some bad contracts that can hold a franchise down far longer than knowing when to pull the trigger. Being a .500 team for 3 years gets you nowhere but mediocre draft capital. Be in contention or be tanking, nothing in between. I treat my job the same way haha.

I miss Greinke in Houston

The Braves have locked up Harris II. Perhaps more than any team they have really bought into the strategy initially implemented by the Rays (sign young talent to team friendly contracts, before their current contract expires). It is obviously a risk because who knows if young players will be able to maintain their current level of play, but I am confident in this approach.

Their nucleus that have signed thru the 2020's is
Acuna Jr.
Albies
Riley
Olson
Harris
Contreras
Grissom

They can if they want choose to resign Dansby, who's having a career year. They need to find a LF as Ozuna is more bust than boom at this point.

The starting rotation is where they haven't invested long term contracts currently, but they will have the financial freedom to sign young arms (Anderson, Wright, etc) and still be able to go after expensive free agents in a given year to put them over the hump.

Atlanta's title window seems as securely open as any franchise I remember. I think they will be legitimate contenders for the next 7-8 years.

Great time to be a Braves fan.

Now we just have to catch the Metropolitans.

This is the time of year when players, especially pitchers break down. Home stretch to the playoffs.

The Braves are 1/2 game out, with a game @Oakland tonight. Leading early. A win and they will be tied with the Mets. The Mets have led the East the entire season. Had as much as a 12 game lead. They play the Mets the last 3 games of the season, in Atlanta.

Pujols hitting 700 is one of the more impressive athletic accomplishments life. He's been on fire after the break and I have followed his chase far more than Judge's. Incredible career and he's been a guy you could root for the whole time.

Braves Mets series to close out the season is going to be electric. Both teams have clinched postseason births, but they are playing for the Division (likely) and to avoid having to face the Dodgers on full rest in LA in the NLDS.

For as stacked as the Dodgers are, they don’t scare me as much as they have in previous seasons. Urias will be lights out but they can be touched after that. Kershaw is aging and watch, Roberts will push him off three days rest. Tyler Anderson will 100% miss spots when the pressure of the playoffs mount. May is erratic and hurt and Gonsolin is coming off injury and will only be able to go 3 innings, maybe 4. Dodgers can still put up a ton of runs though.

Personally, I’d be more afraid of the Mets in the playoffs. They’re coming at you with deGrom, Scherzer, Ottavino, and Diaz. They don’t have a ton of fire power outside of Alonso, but they got a lot of guys that move runners and manufacture high-pressure situations.

For as stacked as the Dodgers are, they don’t scare me as much as they have in previous seasons. Urias will be lights out but they can be touched after that. Kershaw is aging and watch, Roberts will push him off three days rest. Tyler Anderson will 100% miss spots when the pressure of the playoffs mount. May is erratic and hurt and Gonsolin is coming off injury and will only be able to go 3 innings, maybe 4. Dodgers can still put up a ton of runs though.

Personally, I’d be more afraid of the Mets in the playoffs. They’re coming at you with deGrom, Scherzer, Ottavino, and Diaz. They don’t have a ton of fire power outside of Alonso, but they got a lot of guys that move runners and manufacture high-pressure situations.
In a vacuum I agree with you, but you're going to get the dodgers on full rest (assuming the Mets or Braves makes it thru the wildcard round) so that teams rotation and bullpen are not going to be ideally set up to play the trolley dodgers whereas their rotation and bullpen are going to be completely rested.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back