• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 MLB Season Discussion Thread

22% of the season is past and the quietest most unsung team in the majors are the Milwaukee Brewers. At 23-13 they‘re right there with the Mets and Dodgers.

Brew Crew has arguably the best starting rotation in the majors, the best back end of the bullpen in the majors and an under appreciated offense (7th in the majors in OPS).

All with a team that is 20th in the league for payroll!

Speaking of the Brewers (who I actually semi-like), my Phillies are making them look ugly right now. Those two dingers by the bottom of the order off Hader in the 9th last night were insane.

Since Philadelphia fired Girardi last week, they haven't lost. In fact, they've looked damn good. I'm still skeptical (and the Braves are equally hot), but it's fun to see some good baseball from my team for a change. Bryce Harper is still a monster at the plate. Also, I kinda think Girardi is not much of a players' coach. He's not going to cure stressful periods very well. I'll bet Rob Thompson is quite a bit more laid back.

I got a laugh out of this:

Thomson, 58, has been in professional baseball 38 years, but everybody calls him something different. It became apparent on Friday when he replaced Joe Girardi as manager. Phillies president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski called him “Topper.” Bryce Harper called him “Thomps.” Kyle Schwarber calls him “Thomper.”

Aaron Nola calls him “Thompo.”
“It changes,” Nola said.

Nola started to run through the possibilities, saying nicknames out loud to see which ones sounded correct to him.
“Thomper,” he said. “Thoms. Thomps. It’s usually Thomps or Thompo. Yeah, I guess he’s got about 15 different names.”
“Thoms,” Rhys Hoskins said. “Thomper.”
Thomper?

“Sure,” Hoskins said. “Thomper or Topper. Thoms.”
Hoskins thought more about it, too.
“Five-nine,” Hoskins said, referring to Thomson’s jersey number. “I’ll call him Five-Nine every once in a while.”

Last edited:
Rob Thompson (Phillies INTERIM manager) is now 1 of only 3 managers since 1900 to have started out 8-0 for their career. :Eek:

Last edited:

Speaking of the Brewers (who I actually semi-like), my Phillies are making them look ugly right now. Those two dingers by the bottom of the order off Hader in the 9th last night were insane.

Since Philadelphia fired Girardi last week, they haven't lost. In fact, they've looked damn good. I'm still skeptical (and the Braves are equally hot), but it's fun to see some good baseball from my team for a change. Bryce Harper is still a monster at the plate. Also, I kinda think Girardi is not much of a players' coach. He's not going to cure stressful periods very well. I'll bet Rob Thompson is quite a bit more laid back.

I got a laugh out of this:
Brewers are struggling right now … 2 of their 3 top pitchers are injured Peralta and Woodruff. Woody is due back soon.

But the bigger issue is they can’t hit … Yelich, Cain and McCutcheon are god awful. Renfro is a decent RF and their infield is OK (Urias, Adames, Wong and Tellez).

They may have to trade an arm for big bat … sounds almost blasphemous but how about Josh Hader for Mookie Betts?

Last edited:
Brewers are struggling right now … 2 of their 3 top pitchers are injured Peralta and Woodruff. Woody is due back soon.

But the bigger issue is they can’t hit … Yelich, Cain and McCutcheon are god awful. Renfro is a decent RF and their infield is OK (Urias, Adames, Wong and Tellez).

They may have to trade an arm for big bat … sounds almost blasphemous but how about Josh Hader for Mookie Betts?
At least they finally cut Cain … but replaced him with a career minor leaguer!

Cain’s a really nice guy, good clubhouse character but was so injury prone and he’s been a shell of himself the last 1-1/2 years.

Time to find a bat in the trade market.

Last edited:

Cain’s a really nice guy, good clubhouse character but was so injury prone and he’s been a shell of himself the last 1-1/2 years.

He was great with the Royals 7 years ago. He went and got old, fast. Might be a good role player for someone to pick up, no idea what’s left on his contract.

Looks like the Phillies and Braves will be chasing the Mets all year long, just like last year.

Though the Mets collapsed in August last year. I'd like to see them do that again, but they are a much better team this season. Braves and Phillies are probably playing for the wild card -- and Atlanta is the better team.

He was great with the Royals 7 years ago. He went and got old, fast. Might be a good role player for someone to pick up, no idea what’s left on his contract.

Cain was great his first year in Milwaukee, but each season since, Father Time has caught up with him more.

He's a 36-year-old centerfielder, who has relied on his wheels as a significant key to his success. I don't really see a place for him in baseball any longer.

Though the Mets collapsed in August last year. I'd like to see them do that again, but they are a much better team this season. Braves and Phillies are probably playing for the wild card -- and Atlanta is the better team.
Atlanta shouldn’t have messed with Freddie Freeman. He was the core of that team, and even though they got an above average replacement in Matt Olson, it’s not the same. Yes, the Mets are better for sure. Still 90+ games to go.

Cain was great his first year in Milwaukee, but each season since, Father Time has caught up with him more.

He's a 36-year-old centerfielder, who has relied on his wheels as a significant key to his success. I don't really see a place for him in baseball any longer.
Maybe not. He can live off the $87,000,000+ he’s already made I reckon. Seems as though he could be a bench player if he wanted to. He was clutch in the playoffs for the Royals.

Jake Meyers will be playing in the Yankee stadium sometime this weekend. Should be a fun weekend.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back