• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 MLB Season Discussion Thread

Couple of things. Losing Harper is brutal. Gotta be the most devasting injury to hit a Philadelphia sports team in quite some time. The Phillies were red hot for most of June with their new (already legendary) "interim" manager. It's Harper that carries that team. And he was right back in the MVP race again. Silver lining is that he's expected to be back before the end of the season. That only means something if the Phillies are still at least in the Wild Card hunt (which seems unlikely).

Also ... .Is Naylor just really intense or absolutely nuts? The intensity of his celebration just keeps increasing ... then he head butts a coach in a helmet (with his bare head) ... then keeps on heading to the dugout like a man possessed!

Mark Appel made his Major League debut with a scoreless inning of relief last night. That's more than the typical big deal.

Appel was the #1 overall pick in 2013 by the Astros. He struggled in the minors and dealt with injuries to the point where he had to hang it up in 2017. He said he could no longer throw a baseball without feeling pain. And then he was labelled one of the biggest busts of all-time.

But he didn't quite give up on his dream. And in 2021, he decided to give one last try. And he finally made it. The 2013 #1 overall pick made his major league debut at the age of 30.

He then details his journey in follow up Tweets. No doubt he appreciates all that has happened.

Last edited:
Mark Appel made his Major League debut with a scoreless inning of relief last night. That's more than the typical big deal.

Appel was the #1 overall pick in 2013 by the Astros. He struggled in the minors and dealt with injuries to the point where he had to hang it up in 2017. He said he could no longer throw a baseball without feeling pain. And then he was labelled one of the biggest busts of all-time.

But he didn't quite give up on his dream. And in 2021, he decided to give one last try. And he finally made it. The 2013 #1 overall pick made his major league debut at the age of 30.

He then details his journey in follow up Tweets. No doubt he appreciates all that has happened.

I didn't follow the Appel story that close, but was aware that he was in the pen and would likely see some action against the Braves. Great story, it's stuff like this that makes it impossible for me to understand people who don't like sports.

Losing Harper is brutal. Schwarber and Harper account for such an outsized proportion of the Phillies offense. As a Braves fan I have every reason to hate Harper, but I don't really. It's better for the game when Bryce plays. There are a handful of stop and watch guys, meaning guys you stop what you are doing and watch their at bat. Bryce is one of those guys. Unfortunately I think the NL is too deep for the Phillies to be within range of a wildcard spot when he returns.

Braves are absolutely scorching hot right now and are running down the Mets. Their 10 game lead has evaporated to 3 games in short order.

Pardon my Phillies hijacking again ;)

This is pretty wild .... earlier this week, Darick Hall (1B/DH) made his Major League debut.

He's played three games, three hits -- all three hits have been homers. Imagine that? I know I've seen players hit a HR in their first major league AB. But first three hits in the majors, all homers!? There's a stat for that somewhere. Bill James would tell me in 0.5 sec.

I obviously have a Phillies bias -- but the truth is -- baseball has more great storylines than any other sport.

Last edited:
I don't like extra innings at all. (MLB).

How about DH ??
The extra innings rule is supposed to revert to normal after this season. The runner on second rule is completely clown shoes.

Keeping the DH out of the NL was maybe the issue in sports I felt the strongest about. Don't love that it was adopted but I dont see it ever changing back so I've made my peace.

The extra innings rule is supposed to revert to normal after this season. The runner on second rule is completely clown shoes.

Keeping the DH out of the NL was maybe the issue in sports I felt the strongest about. Don't love that it was adopted but I dont see it ever changing back so I've made my peace.
extra innings rule ....

Supposed quicker time. Alternate way: 2 strikes count against batter, first grounder foul or out of play, gift, back to same B-S count. Second foul, out. Lighter than bunt rule !!!

Last edited:

Kyle Schwarber is doing all he can to carry the Phillies in Harper's absence.

Two homers tonight after two homers last night. 16 homers since June 1. Now 27 on the season.

Yet -- he's only hitting .226. Granted, he came into June hitting .185.

Schwarber never hits for average. And he's very streaky. But when he finds a groove, bombs away!

I'd like to see him back in the Home Run Derby.

Phillies are going to have a difficult time making the playoffs. Het hot Braves (like last year). Mets with two big time pitchers returning. Dodgers, Padres and Giants contending in the West.

One winner from the Central (hopefully my Brewers). Leaves those six teams vying for 5 spots.

Phillies are going to have a difficult time making the playoffs. Het hot Braves (like last year). Mets with two big time pitchers returning. Dodgers, Padres and Giants contending in the West.

One winner from the Central (hopefully my Brewers). Leaves those six teams vying for 5 spots.

The Phillies have also been hot. 24-10 since June 1. Won 8 of their past 10 series with their interim manager. And currently would be a Wild Card team.

St. Louis would be in ahead of the Giants, though both are currently on the outside looking in. Marlins are also in the WC race as of today.

As I've said 2-3 times in this thread, I am skeptical the Phillies are a playoff team. I felt that prior to the season, and still to this day. They don't have enough pitching, and I'm not convinced the offense will do enough without Harper for at least another month. But, they have played very well since dumping Girardi. I'll just enjoy it as long as it lasts, as they've already exceeded my expectations.

The Phillies have also been hot. 24-10 since June 1. Won 8 of their past 10 series with their interim manager. And currently would be a Wild Card team.

St. Louis would be in ahead of the Giants, though both are currently on the outside looking in. Marlins are also in the WC race as of today.

As I've said 2-3 times in this thread, I am skeptical the Phillies are a playoff team. I felt that prior to the season, and still to this day. They don't have enough pitching, and I'm not convinced the offense will do enough without Harper for at least another month. But, they have played very well since dumping Girardi. I'll just enjoy it as long as it lasts, as they've already exceeded my expectations.
I agree the Phillies aren't a playoff team without a lot of help, but you never know they make some good moves at the deadline and they could contend for a WC.

Schwarber can't do it alone he needs more from Hoskins and Brohm.

I like the Phillies schedule coming out of the all star break including 5 games with the Braves. If they start rolling they should go for Benintendi at the trade deadline. Braves will win that division and I predict that the Mets will cool off.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back