• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022-23 Season

weaver75

Special Counsel
10 Year Member
With Porter and Cayton leaving, Scoggins gone, and two freshman arriving (with one of them to play volleyball too) the Huskers need Haiby to return.
But whether she does or not, I am thinking they also need to go to the portal for at least one addition who can knock down threes. If they also get a sophomore bounce from Markowski, it could be as very good team.

Looking at the season, and especially the post-season games I've seen, I am astounded at the number of treys that are being racked up, with teams often seeming to be trading 3-pointers. It must be a function of teams devising schemes to get more 'open' looks. Leaving certain players unguarded it seems like it's almost an automatic three.

Looking at the season, and especially the post-season games I've seen, I am astounded at the number of treys that are being racked up, with teams often seeming to be trading 3-pointers. It must be a function of teams devising schemes to get more 'open' looks. Leaving certain players unguarded it seems like it's almost an automatic three.
Yes. And the way Jaz can drive and feed, I think we can get a lot of open looks for 3s.

WpNs-zUNfmHUtRG1ETYg

This is a fine group of Ladies that will be returning for the 2022/23 season (from the 22 season-end team banquet, minus Mi'Cole & Whitney). It seems like Callin Hake could become one of the starters, and Maggie Mendelson will probably play after Volleyball season. As @weaver75 said, It will be interesting to see how much interest we garner from the portal and pick up any players.

I'll be very interested to see the contributions we get from Red-shirt freshman Tatiana Popa (top left), Red-shirt Trinity Brady (3rd from left), and transfer Nailah Dillard (7th from left). Hopefully Brady and Dillard have recovered from their prior injuries and are able to play this season - both promising players. Trinity Brady has seen the floor prior to injury.

WpNs-zUNfmHUtRG1ETYg

I'll be very interested to see the contributions we get from Red-shirt freshman Tatiana Popa (top left), Red-shirt Trinity Brady (3rd from left), and transfer Nailah Dillard (7th from left). Hopefully Brady and Dillard have recovered from their prior injuries and are able to play this season - both promising players. Trinity Brady has seen the floor prior to injury.

In addition to the players you mentioned, I hope Annika Stewart's able to play more minutes next season. Iowa's starting C/F is returning as a "super senior" and they had a couple of other 6'3 post players behind her who may see more minutes too. According to Annika's page on Huskers.com, she was named Women's Basketball Lifter of the Year for 2022 (as well as Academic All Big Ten), so she's definitely dedicated in the weight room! Hopefully the training staff will make sure she's not "too dedicated" and develops another nagging back injury.

The additional departure of RsFr Tatiana Popa should make two open scholarships available to fill from transfer or for 2023 offers.

The Huskers’ roster has seen a bit of a shakeup this offseason, but the team’s core returns for the 2022–23 campaign, which is setting up to be one full of expectations after considering who is coming back. ESPN has taken notice, ranking Nebraska No. 20 in its way-too-early poll:

Newcomers for the 2022/23 season (from the hailvarsity article)

Maddie Krull (transfer from South Dakota)
Maggie Mendelson (incoming freshman; two sport athlete, Volleyball and Basketball)
Callin Hake (Incoming freshman)

The new faces

Nebraska is bringing in three new faces to the program, including South Dakota transfer and Nebraska native Maddie Krull, and a couple true freshmen in guard Callin Hake and center Maggie Mendelson.

Krull
, who starred at Millard South High School in Omaha, started all 60 games in her two-year career at South Dakota and played all 40 minutes against Ole Miss in the Coyotes’ first-round NCAA Tournament game earlier this year. As a sophomore this past season, she averaged 6.8 points, four rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.3 steals.

Though Krull’s scoring and shooting numbers (27% from 3 is two seasons) aren’t going to wow anyone, she’s a tough player who will love suiting up for her home-state team. She has a chance to be a great glue player who fits into the culture that Williams has built.

“She is a winner who loves to compete,” Williams said in a statement. “Every team she has has ever been a part of has been a winning team, and she carried that over into two very successful seasons to start her college career.”

Hake, who’s from Victoria, Minnesota, surpassed the 2,000-point and 500-rebound milestones in her career at Chanhassen High School. As a senior, the 5-8 guard averaged 22.2 points per game and finished her career as Chanhassen’s all-time leading scorer and rebounder.

“She is going to be a versatile guard that can bring a lot of things to our team on the basketball court,” Williams said of Hake. “I love that she is committed to playing hard on both ends of the court. Not only is Callin the perfect fit for us on the court, but she fits our family. She is not afraid to work and understands how to be a great teammate.”

Mendelson is a unique prospect. Before the 6-foot-5 athlete competes for the basketball team, she’ll be playing volleyball for head coach John Cook. Since 2000, four student-athletes — Greichaly Cepero, Laura Pilakowski, Alicia Ostrander and Allie Havers — have been on the rosters for both volleyball and basketball at Nebraska. Mendelson is next.

Mendelson graduated a year early from Fremont High School in North Ogden, Utah, where she was ranked as the No. 32 basketball recruit in the country.

“As a basketball player, Maggie runs the floor well and has excellent quickness,” Williams said. “She obviously has great timing, which allows her to be a shot-blocker on both the basketball and volleyball courts. She also has the ability to use her size to score with her back to the basketball, and she can stretch the floor by hitting the three-point shot.”

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back