• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022-23 NFL Season Discussion Thread

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member
The races are heating up. Another very unpredictable season. Lots of wild storylines. And mostly, a lot more defense (less offense) than recent trends had shown.

And while I'm an NFL fan year 'round, my full focus starts now, as the college postseason mostly bores me anymore (though I am a bit curious in the playoff this year -- more than most). Regardless, until the playoff, I don't care much (sorry to confess). I'll care when Nebraska returns to that non-playoff-but-at-least-a-bowl level. ;)

Feel free to throw in any thoughts you have.

As an Eagles fan, I'm watching the NFC East -- and NFC, in general, closely. The NFC East is really good this season -- unexpectedly the best division in football.

Philly has been the most consistently good in the NFL this season. Clearly #1 in any power ranking at this point.

But -- Dallas can be scary good. When they are clicking on both sides at the same time, there may not be a better team. When both sides of the ball are clicking.

But Philly's offense is arguably the most dangerous as December turns to January. Hurts and crew put up 363 yards rushing last week. This week, 386 yards passing by Hurts -- 29/39, 3 TDs, 0 INTs (the guy doesn't turn the ball over much at all). Hurts is the MVP at this point.

Anyhow, Philly and Dallas are my top 2.

#3 is San Fran. But -- they've got a QB issue now. Jimmy G is done. Trey Lance was done long ago. In comes #3 QB, Brock Purdy (yes, the other Purdy, the ISU Purdy lol). And he looked good. But will that continue? Can you expect that from your #3? The Niners D is quite good.

#4 is Minnesota. They are an improved team this season. Or are they? Statistically, they are about the same. Neither their offense nor defense ranks anywhere near the top. Are they playing smarter? Fewer turnovers? The Vikes are winning more -- no debating that. I'm just not convinced they aren't a step or so below the three teams above them.

#5 is Washington. Though I could argue they are closer to #4 currently -- if not for a poor start to the season. 1-4 to start. 6-1-1 since. They are playing well behind Heinicke. No doubt D.C. is bigtime behind their team -- which has been infrequently at this point in the season more years than not for quite a while now.

#6 Giants.

#7 Seahawks.

#8 is NOT even WORTH it!

Last edited:

The Jets have the ball 2nd and goal on the one-yard line inside the two minute warning and I’m yelling at the tv “quarterback sneak.” Who isn’t going to get one freakin’ yard on three qb sneaks? They hand it off three yards deep in the backfield and throw twice. Too stupid to be a playoff team.

Last edited:
The Jets have the ball 2nd and goal on the one-yard line inside the two minute warning and I’m yelling at the tv “quarterback sneak.” Who isn’t going to get one freakin’ yard on three qb sneaks? They hand it off three yards deep in the backfield and throw twice. Too stupid to be a playoff team.
Whipple calling plays for the Jets now?

It's a shame, though, as the Jets have a helluva defense.

There is reason for hope for Jets fans. There's some good pieces in place. Unfortunately, it looks like Zach Wilson is a bust.

Broncos fan here - I’m actually relieved we were removed from the SNF game. Too embarrassing. What a pile of a season.

That may be the biggest surprise of the NFL season. There isn't a source out there that didn't pick Denver to make the playoffs. Some even threw around the Super Bowl as a possibility. How long are they on the hook with Russell Wilson?

That may be the biggest surprise of the NFL season. There isn't a source out there that didn't pick Denver to make the playoffs. Some even threw around the Super Bowl as a possibility. How long are they on the hook with Russell Wilson?

Many would say too long, but I’m not sure he’s the problem. I lean more towards coaching and play-calling.

Sunday's loss for KC at Cincy was a huge blow. That was the last remaining toss-up on the schedule, and Chiefs blew it. I'm really sour on this year's team. The defense can't make stops or force turnovers, and the offense goes cold for no reason at the worst possible time. Luckily for KC, Buffalo and Cincy still play each other, and are both in real fights for their divisions. Hopefully KC wins out, and some other games go the right way for the #1 seed to be back in play.

Broncos fan here - I’m actually relieved we were removed from the SNF game. Too embarrassing. What a pile of a season.
KC has shown a knack for playing down to their competition all season. I expect the same on Sunday. I mean, the Bronco offense is due to score some points, right?

The races are heating up. Another very unpredictable season. Lots of wild storylines. And mostly, a lot more defense (less offense) than recent trends had shown.

And while I'm an NFL fan year 'round, my full focus starts now, as the college postseason mostly bores me anymore (though I am a bit curious in the playoff this year -- more than most). Regardless, until the playoff, I don't care much (sorry to confess). I'll care when Nebraska returns to that non-playoff-but-at-least-a-bowl level. ;)

Feel free to throw in any thoughts you have.

As an Eagles fan, I'm watching the NFC East -- and NFC, in general, closely. The NFC East is really good this season -- unexpectedly the best division in football.

Philly has been the most consistently good in the NFL this season. Clearly #1 in any power ranking at this point.

But -- Dallas can be scary good. When they are clicking on both sides at the same time, there may not be a better team. When both sides of the ball are clicking.

But Philly's offense is arguably the most dangerous as December turns to January. Hurts and crew put up 363 yards rushing last week. This week, 386 yards passing by Hurts -- 29/39, 3 TDs, 0 INTs (the guy doesn't turn the ball over much at all). Hurts is the MVP at this point.

Anyhow, Philly and Dallas are my top 2.

#3 is San Fran. But -- they've got a QB issue now. Jimmy G is done. Trey Lance was done long ago. In comes #3 QB, Brock Purdy (yes, the other Purdy, the ISU Purdy lol). And he looked good. But will that continue? Can you expect that from your #3? The Niners D is quite good.

#4 is Minnesota. They are an improved team this season. Or are they? Statistically, they are about the same. Neither their offense nor defense ranks anywhere near the top. Are they playing smarter? Fewer turnovers? The Vikes are winning more -- no debating that. I'm just not convinced they aren't a step or so below the three teams above them.

#5 is Washington. Though I could argue they are closer to #4 currently -- if not for a poor start to the season. 1-4 to start. 6-1-1 since. They are playing well behind Heinicke. No doubt D.C. is bigtime behind their team -- which has been infrequently at this point in the season more years than not for quite a while now.

#6 Giants.

#7 Seahawks.

#8 is NOT even WORTH it!
The NFC is crazy competitive this year. The #5 seed is likely going to be Dallas, and you could make the argument that when completely healthy that Dallas is the most talented team in the NFC. Big blow for the 49ers losing Garoppolo, because their offense is loaded with talent. I'm guessing Seattle overtakes SF, and moves into the #4 seed. Washington would be such a good story, if their owner wasn't such a piece of crap. I hate to be a skeptic, but I'm wondering if Philly will be a #1 seed that puts in a magical regular season, only for it to end in the divisional round, especially if they end up playing Dallas. That would be a heck of a playoff game, and probably break some TV ratings records.

The NFC is crazy competitive this year. The #5 seed is likely going to be Dallas, and you could make the argument that when completely healthy that Dallas is the most talented team in the NFC. Big blow for the 49ers losing Garoppolo, because their offense is loaded with talent. I'm guessing Seattle overtakes SF, and moves into the #4 seed. Washington would be such a good story, if their owner wasn't such a piece of crap. I hate to be a skeptic, but I'm wondering if Philly will be a #1 seed that puts in a magical regular season, only for it to end in the divisional round, especially if they end up playing Dallas. That would be a heck of a playoff game, and probably break some TV ratings records.

It's quite possible that would be the divisional round matchup (assuming the 6 and 7-seeds don't pull of upsets). It's how it sits currently anyhow.

As I mentioned in the OP, I have Philly and Dallas as my top two teams. It would be a shame to have them matchup in the divisional round -- but as you say, that's a big TV draw. They play next on Christmas Eve -- and no doubt that game will be hyped.

KC has shown a knack for playing down to their competition all season. I expect the same on Sunday. I mean, the Bronco offense is due to score some points, right?
That has been an issue with KC for awhile and it is frustrating.

The AFC surprises for me is the strength of the AFC East and futility of the AFC West. I expected the West to have 3-4 playoff contenders and didn't expect much out of the East behind Buffalo. Its been an interesting season and I'm looking forward to the playoffs much more than the college bowl season.

It's quite possible that would be the divisional round matchup (assuming the 6 and 7-seeds don't pull of upsets). It's how it sits currently anyhow.

As I mentioned in the OP, I have Philly and Dallas as my top two teams. It would be a shame to have them matchup in the divisional round -- but as you say, that's a big TV draw. They play next on Christmas Eve -- and no doubt that game will be hyped.
No doubt that FOX is very thankful that the NFCE is finally competitive from top to bottom. No other division can pull in the type of ratings the NFCE can.

22B61FF0-AEED-4B69-9E86-64156F0DAD23.jpeg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back