• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022-23 NFL Season Discussion Thread

"It's exactly where you want to be, right?" Kittle said postgame. "At the start of the year, back in OTAs, all you're doing is preparing for the Super Bowl. To be one step away from that, it's awesome. To go into Philly, which is a fantastic atmosphere... it's going to be wonderful. I know how much the fans love the opposing team, and all the fans, so it's going to really fun. It's going to be cold and violent, and it's going to be a blast."

"They've got like six first-rounders on their D-line," Kittle added. "They're fantastic. They're vets. They know how to play the game. They're going to be violent. They're going to talk a lot of crap. That's just something I'm looking forward to because every time we play Philly, it's a great game, and it's going to be really fun."

Should be a fantastic game. Hope it lives up to the hype!

My picks for conference championship weekend are Cincinnati and San Francisco.

Cincinnati and KC I think are pretty even, but with Mahomes banged up I give them the edge.

I think the Niners are slightly better than the Eagles. The only concern I have is Purdy. You feel like at some point the magic will wear off and he'll have a bad game. Good news, is they have so many weapons, they shouldn't need to force him to be special.

Really good conference championship matchups. Interested to see who makes it through.

My picks for conference championship weekend are Cincinnati and San Francisco.

Cincinnati and KC I think are pretty even, but with Mahomes banged up I give them the edge.

I think the Niners are slightly better than the Eagles. The only concern I have is Purdy. You feel like at some point the magic will wear off and he'll have a bad game. Good news, is they have so many weapons, they shouldn't need to force him to be special.

Really good conference championship matchups. Interested to see who makes it through.

I’m going with the Eagles and the Bengals, with the Eagles taking it all, though I’d prefer to see the Bengals win. (Sorry, @HuskerWeatherman!)

I do agree with HWM that the Eagles are the most complete team.

KC was iffy enough with their weak D, and with Mahomes hobbled, I think their road ends this weekend.

I’m going with the Eagles and the Bengals, with the Eagles taking it all, though I’d prefer to see the Bengals win. (Sorry, @HuskerWeatherman!)

I do agree with HWM that the Eagles are the most complete team.

KC was iffy enough with their weak D, and with Mahomes hobbled, I think their road ends this weekend.

The Bengals winning it all wouldn't shock me. They had that taste of almost last year, which a good team grows from.

My only hesitancy is that I'm not sure they've faced many defenses on the level of Philly and San Fran's. And they haven't run the ball well this year -- 4th from the bottom in rushing yards per game. Philly's pass defense is #1 in the NFL. Cincy's passing offense is #5 in the NFL. That'd be a matchup to watch (and would be begging for Mixon to carry the ball more).

And btw, San Fran's pass defense is 20th in the NFL (you just can't run on them) -- which actually plays much more into the Bengals' favor.

Conference championship weekend is upon us!

I'm also picking Bengals and Eagles. But any of the four teams winning wouldn't surprise me.

I haven't checked the betting line today, but the Cincy-KC game has flipped from one team to the other team back to another team favored this week. Around -1. Philly opened at -2, it has sat at -2.5 every time I've looked this week.

To note, the weather in Philly Sunday afternoon (2pm Central/3pm Eastern kickoff) will be pleasant for late-January. 50-55 degrees. 10 MPH wind. Dry. So there's nothing weatherwise to hinder either team. It's going to be about football, not weather.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230127_183355_Facebook.jpg

The Niners have played 9 of their last 12 games at home -- including last weekend's playoff game. That's crazy.

Facing a fearsome crowd is something San Francisco hasn’t had to deal with much over the past three months. In a scheduling quirk, the 49ers played only three true road games in the final 11 regular season contests (with a neutral site squash of the Arizona Cardinals in Mexico City in Week 11). Two of those stints as visitors came in L.A. and Las Vegas, where San Fran fans overran the venue and made for a de facto home atmosphere.

In fact, true road tests were so few and far between for the 49ers, that we forget where this team struggled the most – on the road. The Niners were 10-2 ATS at home/neutral site, but just 3-4 ATS on the road, with three of their four losses coming away from Santa Clara.

Last edited:

Lack of experience in stadiums like PHILLY is going to come back and haunt the 9 ers tomorrow

Purdy hasn't played a road game against a team that made the playoffs.

He's only played two road games -- the first at Seattle, when the Niners didn't score past the first minute of the second half and won 20-13; the second at Vegas, which required OT for the Niners to pull off.

Philly on Sunday is going to provide Brock Purdy an environment unlike he's faced against a team better than any he's faced.

That doesn't mean Purdy can't or won't do well. The Niners have won a lot of games for years minus an elite QB. But, it will be next level for Purdy tomorrow.

Eagles have moved to 3-point favorites this morning.

Chiefs are still -1.5, as they were the past couple of days.

Notes:

KC is 1-8-1 ATS at home in their last 10 games as host.

Philly's defense led the NFL with 70 sacks in the regular season (and 5 more last weekend against the Giants). It'll be interesting to watch how Purdy reacts to the likely disruptions he'll face in the backfield.

Last edited:
Late money coming on in the Chiefs and Eagles.

KC is now up to -2.5. I'm guessing the news that Cincy will be without three injured starting offensive linemen played a role.

Line for the Eagles moved to -3.

Last edited:

I'm glad KC won, but they don't make it easy. I was on the edge the entire game, because losing two-straight years against Cincy and going 2-3 in five-straight home AFCCG would have been a bad look for the franchise, Mahomes and Reid. The fumble from Mahomes in the 3rd quarter could have really changed narratives had KC lost last night. That was an all-time terrible mistake from an MVP in a high-pressure situation. Instead, a hobbled Mahomes makes a play with his feet, and gets his team into field goal range for the winner. He goes about it in ways I wish he wouldn't, but he's clutch. I just hope KC gets healthy over the next two weeks. Have to, because the lack of WR options was really making things difficult late in last night's game.

Philly will be a tough opponent. They don't have any weak spots on offense, and Hurts will do some damage running the ball. My hope is that previous Super Bowl experience for KC pays off, and that gives them the edge over Philly. May be wishful thinking, but we'll see. I'm sure the talking points will be focused on how much these offenses can move the ball and score, so naturally, it'll be a 17-13 final score.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back