• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2021 WR/CB Isaiah Newcombe

Solich handled the whole Crouch/Newcombe situation horribly, which along with Nuke's father's reaction, IMO caused BN to react very poorly to the decision, refusing to be 2nd string QB. Had BN not over-reacted, he likely would have reclaimed his starting position the very next week as EC was completely impotent in his first start following the decision. That was among the very worse offensive performances by a Nebraska team that I've witnessed in 57 years following NU.

Last edited:

Bobby Newcombe before the injury his Sophomore year was better than Crouch hands down. After the injury he wasn't. All you have to do is go back and watch the games. I think he lost half a step and a little bit of elusiveness. But IMO the biggest thing he lost was his nerve. He played tentative at the QB spot, he was indecisive., and he wasn't durable. I don't think he would have lasted a whole season. He was too slight a build.

crouch was a better runner and that is it. newcombe was a far superior passer, held back because of the coaching staff. frank was all talk when it came to updating the offense and likely caused some disappointment from newcombe. all the talk was of frank taking toms offense into the new century but it literally went backwards. franks offense had no idea how to implement a passing game, or a running game outside of the QB keeper. he duplicated what snyder was doing with bishop/roberson in manhattan. in that setting, crouch was far better fit. newcombe would have been an all conference QB had he been in a different offense.

crouch was a better runner and that is it. newcombe was a far superior passer, held back because of the coaching staff. frank was all talk when it came to updating the offense and likely caused some disappointment from newcombe. all the talk was of frank taking toms offense into the new century but it literally went backwards. franks offense had no idea how to implement a passing game, or a running game outside of the QB keeper. he duplicated what snyder was doing with bishop/roberson in manhattan. in that setting, crouch was far better fit. newcombe would have been an all conference QB had he been in a different offense.
I jave said it before and i will say it again here. If Frank let Turner be the OC and just focused on being the head coach. He is probably still our coach. He thought he could be TO and he did not have the experience to handle both

I don't know how aggressively we were recruiting Newcombe or where he ranked on our board, so maybe this is a case of "no damage done". If we did want him though, he would represent another legacy that we failed to land.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back