• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

TE Thomas Fidone Announcement On 26 August Update: Named USA Today All America

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB today for LSU today from an Iowa insider, who is notorious for changing his picks minutes ahead of a commitment to save his near “100%” record. But I wouldn’t read much into his picks when the decision is months away.

EDIT: I got my Iowa insiders mixed up so throw out the “last minute” sentence. Still not concerned, at this time, but we shall see.

Last edited:
CB today for LSU today from an Iowa insider, who is notorious for changing his picks minutes ahead of a commitment to save his near “100%” record. But I wouldn’t read much into his picks when the decision is months away.

The prediction was also a low confidence one. Guys like Wiltfong have higher confidence picks for NU still. LSU is recognized as a team that's climbing in interest for Thomas but there doesn't appear to be any imminent commit on his part. NU still the front runner with LSU and Iowa the teams to watch.

The prediction was also a low confidence one. Guys like Wiltfong have higher confidence picks for NU still. LSU is recognized as a team that's climbing in interest for Thomas but there doesn't appear to be any imminent commit on his part. NU still the front runner with LSU and Iowa the teams to watch.
I agreed and edited my post. I got my Iowa insiders mixed up.

Wiltfong won't change his pick until the day of the decision.

Man, if Scott misses out here, would be pivotal. Confidence in him continues to wither on if he can turn this program around. The flip side is I am not sure anyone can if he can’t.

Last edited:
Man, if Scott misses out here, would be pivotal. Confidence in him continues to wither on if he can turn this program around. The flip side is I am not sure anyone can if he can’t.
Dude, to suggest a coach’s future rests on landing any player, much less a TE is just inappropriate panic in my opinion. You might want to ease up reading the recruitnik sites and comments who seem to enjoy pressing that button on a regular basis.

If there is one thing to keep in mind with this staff, I don’t think they have the ‘mole’ whispering info like former staffs may have. The notion that they are somehow in disarray is pure speculation, and having spoken to a few folks who have seen some of their Recruiting practices, I think their communication, especially with local programs and attention detail, is helping them to find underrated players.

Rest easy, our talent has improved vastly over the last couple of years, both on the staff and in the locker room.

Last edited:

Dude, to suggest a coach’s future rests on landing any player, much less a TE is just inappropriate panic in my opinion. You might Want to ease up reading the recruitnik sites and comments who seem to enjoy pressing the button on a regular basis.

I completely agree with you here about not getting our panties ruffled over one player, especially a TE.

But...

If there is one thing to keep in mind with this staff, I don’t think they have the ‘mole’ whispering info like former staffs may have. The notion that they are somehow in disarray is pure speculation, and having spoken to a few folks who have seen some of their Recruiting practices, I think their communication, especially with local programs and attention detail, is helping them to find underrated players.

Rest easy, our talent has improved vastly over the last couple of years, both on the staff and in the locker room.

The luster of Scott's UCF run has officially worn off. The excitement and near 100% belief that he will turn the program around is no longer there. You can see it with the comments made by local talent DONU has lost out on. The Nebraska brand has taken a huge hit over the last couple of years (some of that is due to the media's ridiculous predictions and fan expectations of an immediate turnaround. Some of it is truly self-inflicted). But it is what it is. Now, more than ever, we can't lose the Fidone's, Bollers, Johnson's, Dickerson's, and Watts of the world. <<< Think about the level of talent in that group alone.

I completely agree with you here about not getting our panties ruffled over one player, especially a TE.

But...

The luster of Scott's UCF run has officially worn off. The excitement and near 100% belief that he will turn the program around is no longer there. You can see it with the comments made by local talent DONU has lost out on. The Nebraska brand has taken a huge hit over the last couple of years (some of that is due to the media's ridiculous predictions and fan expectations of an immediate turnaround. Some of it is truly self-inflicted). But it is what it is. Now, more than ever, we can't lose the Fidone's, Bollers, Johnson's, Dickerson's, and Watts of the world. <<< Think about the level of talent in that group alone.

First, the flash of Frost’s first year didn’t exactly land us piles of talent that actually panned out, so it still boils down to being able to put multiple quality classes together, which these guys have done. A couple of players, one of whom admits he wasn’t ever a big Husker fan and another says his dream school was ND, make some comments I’m quite sure they were coached on. Did the top kids we pulled from surrounding states make similar comments? No, they talked about the relationship, the feel of the team, the excitement to play the style our staff wants to play.

We worry about so many silly things, and frankly, in this day and age that kids actually believe we hang on their every word, I find it refreshing when players just act excited and appreciative of the opportunities in front of them.

Last edited:
First, the flash of Frost’s first year didn’t exactly land us piles of talent that actually panned out, so it still boils down to being able to put multiple quality classes together, which these guys have done. A couple of players, one of whom admits he wasn’t ever a big Husker fan and another says his dream school was ND, make some comments I’m quite sure they were coached on. Did the top kids we pulled from surrounding states make similar comments? No, they talked about the relationship, the feel of the team, the excitement to play the style our staff wants to play.

We worry about so many silly things, and frankly, in this day and age that kids actually believe we hang on their every word, I find it refreshing when players just act excited and appreciative of the opportunities in front of them.
Not sure I disagree with anything you said, to be quite frank. I sit between you and @True Husker in terms of Scott's whiffs on local talent. I was just pointing out, it certainly hasn't been a smooth ride from a local recruiting perspective and I am of the belief that our local talent is the core and foundation to our future success. And the mass defections from kids outside of the 500 supports that belief. We NEED these local kids who were raised on Husker Saturdays. I know we won't get all of them (for some of the reasons you described), but we need to have a better batting average on some of the best local talent we've had in a while. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Not sure I disagree with anything you said, to be quite frank. I sit between you and @True Husker in terms of Scott's whiffs on local talent. I was just pointing out, it certainly hasn't been a smooth ride from a local recruiting perspective and I am of the belief that our local talent is the core and foundation to our future success. And the mass defections from kids outside of the 500 supports that belief. We NEED these local kids who were raised on Husker Saturdays. I know we won't get all of them (for some of the reasons you described), but we need to have a better batting average on some of the best local talent we've had in a while. Just my 2 cents.
In regards to the bolded above, and not attacking you @36Blast personally, but I am going to express what I feel after you and MANY others have wrung their hands over with obvious fear/dread the last few months.

In 2 different recruiting years, NU loses one kid to his dream school (ND), a kid who said he was NEVER a husker fan, and a kid whose family has a beef with Nebraska (and not with Frost personally). Heck, add Williams who went to Wisky as he never had a NU offer until Frost showed up late and tried to sway him back (which he almost did). I am thinking A LOT of posters (again, not just you) are making a big mountain out of what is currently a gentle hill. No one is saying crap about signing the top 5 instate prospects in 2019. Or getting the top player in 2018 (a very weak instate class as we only offered the top 3 and then cut bait with #2 late in the process (academics maybe?) )and, again, mentioning that #3 ALMOST flipped from Wisky but Frost didn't have enough time to do that).

Again, I will panic if this becomes an annual reality, but for now, I will let all you chicken little's angst over it. But if it does become an annual reality, I am hoping someone saves a seat for me on the Chicken Little Express!:nod:

In regards to the bolded above, and not attacking you @36Blast personally, but I am going to express what I feel after you and MANY others have wrung their hands over with obvious fear/dread the last few months.

In 2 different recruiting years, NU loses one kid to his dream school (ND), a kid who said he was NEVER a husker fan, and a kid whose family has a beef with Nebraska (and not with Frost personally). Heck, add Williams who went to Wisky as he never had a NU offer until Frost showed up late and tried to sway him back (which he almost did). I am thinking A LOT of posters (again, not just you) are making a big mountain out of what is currently a gentle hill. No one is saying crap about signing the top 5 instate prospects in 2019. Or getting the top player in 2018 (a very weak instate class as we only offered the top 3 and then cut bait with #2 late in the process (academics maybe?) )and, again, mentioning that #3 ALMOST flipped from Wisky but Frost didn't have enough time to do that).

Again, I will panic if this becomes an annual reality, but for now, I will let all you chicken little's angst over it. But if it does become an annual reality, I am hoping someone saves a seat for me on the Chicken Little Express!:nod:
The beauty of message boards. We can all agree to disagree and do it respectfully.

I wouldn't refer to myself as a chicken little here...but I do have concerns about a lot of things related to how this staff does things. Im a realist. We have a coach who has been sub 500 2 years in a row. That is a FACT. There are reasons for that. Many are on him, like it or not.

Last edited:
The beauty of message boards. We can all agree to disagree and do it respectfully.

I wouldn't refer to myself as a chicken little here...but I do have concerns about a lot of things related to how this staff does things. Im a realist. We have a coach who has been sub 500 2 years in a row. That is a FACT. There are reasons for that. Many are on him, like it or not.
Yeah, I should of mentioned that when I used Chicken Little, I actually wasn't trying to be attacking or mean, the Chicken Little chartacter just kind of fit what I have perceived going on since the 2 instaters committed to Minny and Iowa this year. Like I said, we lost 3 (4 if counting Williams who we almost got despite Frost's late entry into the 2018 class) prospects, 1 who would of played here (if not for ND offer) and 2 who never were. We shall see what the future holds.

While certain things make me wonder, I also realize it’s still early, waaay early.

I also know that it’s crazy for us to think if Scott Frost doesn’t do it we are doomed to the crap hole for the rest of eternity....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back