• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2021 Tailgate Fish Fry

img20180909_100436.jpg

Should also do craw fish again

Well, if it helps...this year will be crappie and walleye. Though there isn't much difference between the two IMO. I eat both on a regular basis, when cut right nobody has a clue if it is one or the other.

This is where I get sacrilegious: If processed right, I've cooked walleye, crappie, white bass, and drum, and nobody could tell which was which. Remove the fat and remove the bloodline (when present), and it's my opinion that any of these fish from the same water at the same time of year will taste pretty much the same, and all will have flaky white meat.

Let the lynching begin....

This is where I get sacrilegious: If processed right, I've cooked walleye, crappie, white bass, and drum, and nobody could tell which was which. Remove the fat and remove the bloodline (when present), and it's my opinion that any of these fish from the same water at the same time of year will taste pretty much the same, and all will have flaky white meat.

On a related note, flathead catfish (especially from cold water) tastes more like the above fish than it tastes like mushy channel catfish from warm water.

I've said the same thing about white bass for years. Unfortunately they're hard to find down here. The green carp and cats everyone chase eat their eggs and young. Haven't ever eaten a drum. Didn't think it would be worth the effort.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back