• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2021 MLB

I think Shohei is the clear AL MVP. Vlad is having a monster year and a triple crown winner would normally be a shoe in for MVP, but what Shohei is doing is literally unlike anything that has happened for 100 years. I'm a big Braves fan which is about as far removed from the Angels as possible, but I've enjoyed following his season from the senior circuit. This is probably partly sports media setting up the narrative this way but Vlad Jr. just feels like another AL hitter having a monster year, whereas Shohei feels like something truly special.
I couldn't agree more with what you posted. That's why I did the quick double back; with what he has done on the mound in addition to plate, he is very special. I don't mind the narrative so much as it has brought baseball back to something people were excited about watching this summer. Baseball is my fav. sport by far, so the more people watching it or returning to it-and possibly picking up a new generation along the way- the better.

I couldn't agree more with what you posted. That's why I did the quick double back; with what he has done on the mound in addition to plate, he is very special. I don't mind the narrative so much as it has brought baseball back to something people were excited about watching this summer. Baseball is my fav. sport by far, so the more people watching it or returning to it-and possibly picking up a new generation along the way- the better.
Yeah. I struggle with this mindset that baseball needs saved. I don't think it does. Baseball seems willing to cut off it's nose to spite it's face. The DH coming to the NL, robotic umps, runner on second in extras (this year that ends thank god). Baseball has survived for a long time, and remained largely the same. I want more people to watch, but I don't want it to come at the cost of bastardizing the sport.

I think Shohei is the clear AL MVP. Vlad is having a monster year and a triple crown winner would normally be a shoe in for MVP, but what Shohei is doing is literally unlike anything that has happened for 100 years. I'm a big Braves fan which is about as far removed from the Angels as possible, but I've enjoyed following his season from the senior circuit. This is probably partly sports media setting up the narrative this way but Vlad Jr. just feels like another AL hitter having a monster year, whereas Shohei feels like something truly special.

If I had a vote, I'd give it to Vlad Jr.

I completely understand what we've been from Ohtani is something none of us have ever seen.

I think he's a good hitter -- and a good pitcher -- but not yet great at either. He does occasionally dominate at the plate or on the mound, but he's very inconsistent. He may very well be great at one if one day decides to focus on either pitching or batting.

His star was brightest heading into the All Star game. He was destroying balls on a regular basis in the season's first half.

But he's really fizzled in the second half of the season.

Ohtani is hitting .219 since the All Star break. Ranks 125th in the majors. He's hit 11 homers since -- tied for 50th in the majors. 24 RBIs -- tied for 111th. 3rd in strikeouts. OPS ranks 88th. He still has a shot to win the homerun title -- but sitting at third while struggling to make contact suggests he may not. There's not a lot of stats in his favor -- but he was a highlight reel in May and June -- and he pitches about once every 10 days on average.

I think pitchers have figured him out. Good hitters learn to adjust after pitchers adjust. So odds are he'll be a strong hitter again -- maybe as soon as next spring. Right now, he's probably a better all-around starting pitcher than he is a batter. And of course, he's a DH as a hitter -- and his second half numbers are flat out rotten for a DH -- but the fans pay to watch him play. His only focus on defense is the 3 times per month that he pitches.

I just think an MVP has to be really dominant at something or multiple somethings. And I don't think he is -- especially if you care about second half numbers. But he's unique and he made a lot of highlight reels early in the season. And he plays in a large market with plenty of media exposure. He doesn't have MVP numbers. He just happens to both bat and pitch -- with less wear and tear then you'd think with double dipping -- because he's a DH.

Last edited:

Cardinals incredible run ends, but they powered their way to a wildcard spot. The Braves take care of business against the Phillies. In order for the Phillies to win the East now it would require Atlanta to lose all remaining games, and the Phils to win all remaining games. Girardi and the Phils are essentially in one game playoffs the rest of the way if they are gonna have any chance, which is a long time to be under that much pressure.

Postseason baseball shaping up to be pretty fun this year.

LETS GO BRAVES

Chop On!!!

OrneryDearAntipodesgreenparakeet-max-1mb.gif

Congrats to ATL.

There really isn't a team I have any rooting interest in for the playoffs.

Would maybe like to see Toronto -- but they are barely alive. Seattle is still in the hunt?!

Anyone but the Yankees or Dodgers.

Maybe I'll adopt the Astros.

Big game for the Astros tonight. Why at the same time as the huskers. I will be watching the huskers , recording the stros. Gbr

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back