• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2021 Husker offers

2021 PF, Ashton Smith, 6-7, 230 lbs, Nimitz HS Houston (TX) - Offered (Post #53)

Last edited:
2021 PG, Terrion Arnold, 6-2, 180 lbs, Pope John Paul II Catholic HS, Tallahassee, FL - Offered

EDIT: Looks like Huskers didn't make his cut. :(

A dual-sport athlete with football offers from several schools, supposedly including Nebraska, but I haven't seen any confirmation.

(Almost all of the information available is football related)

Last edited:

Catch and shoot looks good, but it's a bit of an odd release. He's also dragging his pivot some of the time and will get called by certain officials.
Dragging his pivot foot as compared to the 4 step Euro travel that is the current rage? What time capsule did you just pop out of Teddy Valentine? :Wink: The kid looks like he has some game.

Dragging his pivot foot as compared to the 4 step Euro travel that is the current rage? What time capsule did you just pop out of Teddy Valentine? :Wink: The kid looks like he has some game.

Officials don’t call the extra step bunny hop (euro travel), or carrying the ball over multiple steps, but they still call the drag. They give the ball handler enough advantages, they don’t let them get what amounts to a running start. It’s why you see so many guys start bouncing the ball the second they catch it. You can get away with that running start if it’s off the continued dribble in the form of a carry. From a standing start and no dribble, the foot still matters. One of my closer friends is a D1 official, and confirmed the difference over beers. It’s not a biggie, but they have ‘points of emphasis’ yearly, and that’s been a regular most seasons.

Officials don’t call the extra step bunny hop (euro travel), or carrying the ball over multiple steps, but they still call the drag. They give the ball handler enough advantages, they don’t let them get what amounts to a running start. It’s why you see so many guys start bouncing the ball the second they catch it. You can get away with that running start if it’s off the continued dribble in the form of a carry. From a standing start and no dribble, the foot still matters. One of my closer friends is a D1 official, and confirmed the difference over beers. It’s not a biggie, but they have ‘points of emphasis’ yearly, and that’s been a regular most seasons.
I was obviously kidding. It's gotta be brutal to call todays game. Yep, I have noticed they emphasize the standing start extra step travel call. I find it humorous that pretty much every three point shot taken starts with a hop then a step. It used to bother me but I'm over it as that's just part of the current game. I have several close friends that officiate high school basketball and they have all had to make adjustments to the way they call todays game. My pet peeve is still the official that makes the auto defensive foul call when a player is taking it to the hole. One of those officials is an old high school friend who does a ton of state tournament games. I've never had the stones to tell him to quit over officiating. He's a pretty good official but we all know when his insta whistle is going to be blown.

I was obviously kidding. It's gotta be brutal to call todays game. Yep, I have noticed they emphasize the standing start extra step travel call. I find it humorous that pretty much every three point shot taken starts with a hop then a step. It used to bother me but I'm over it as that's just part of the current game. I have several close friends that officiate high school basketball and they have all had to make adjustments to the way they call todays game. My pet peeve is still the official that makes the auto defensive foul call when a player is taking it to the hole. One of those officials is an old high school friend who does a ton of state tournament games. I've never had the stones to tell him to quit over officiating. He's a pretty good official but we all know when his insta whistle is going to be blown.
It's really a failure on the officiating side that's created most of the problems with today's game. Call the travel, don't allow traveling on a regular basis, call the foul on the player who initiates the contact, and respect verticality. We'd see less dribbling, better passing, some actual shooting as opposed to guys just crashing their way to the rim, and all of that could be done in a single season. Players would adjust after some initial ugliness, but it's no uglier than the stuff we see daily during hoops season.

I've kind of gotten to the point I really only like March Madness, primarily because the mid majors still play some solid fundamental basketball, and European ball. The Euros can all shoot, can all pass, and they aren't just about driving to the rim, or heaving up 3s. Positioning, footwork, being able to use either hand, those are the things that make Euro leagues a pleasure for an old guy like me. The occasional windmill dunk doesn't make up for the regular clanks from 3s, the 60% FT shooting, and the refusal to hit the open guy for a midrange jumper. The best dunker on our team was dumb as a brick and never saw meaningful minutes. He couldn't be counted on for anything beyond looking cool in warmups. Too much emphasis is put on plays that are relatively meaningless. It's like guys using crossover dribbles. If you do it to create space for a shot or angle to the basket or passing lane, I'm all for it. But in most cases, guys are doing them just to prove they can, and its kind of silly.

It's really a failure on the officiating side that's created most of the problems with today's game. Call the travel, don't allow traveling on a regular basis, call the foul on the player who initiates the contact, and respect verticality. We'd see less dribbling, better passing, some actual shooting as opposed to guys just crashing their way to the rim, and all of that could be done in a single season. Players would adjust after some initial ugliness, but it's no uglier than the stuff we see daily during hoops season.

I've kind of gotten to the point I really only like March Madness, primarily because the mid majors still play some solid fundamental basketball, and European ball. The Euros can all shoot, can all pass, and they aren't just about driving to the rim, or heaving up 3s. Positioning, footwork, being able to use either hand, those are the things that make Euro leagues a pleasure for an old guy like me. The occasional windmill dunk doesn't make up for the regular clanks from 3s, the 60% FT shooting, and the refusal to hit the open guy for a midrange jumper. The best dunker on our team was dumb as a brick and never saw meaningful minutes. He couldn't be counted on for anything beyond looking cool in warmups. Too much emphasis is put on plays that are relatively meaningless. It's like guys using crossover dribbles. If you do it to create space for a shot or angle to the basket or passing lane, I'm all for it. But in most cases, guys are doing them just to prove they can, and its kind of silly.
Couldn't agree more about the mid majors and Euro Leagues. I played in the 80's and it was all about spacing, hard cuts, picks, moving without the ball, checking out etc etc. That's why I was really rooting for Charlie Easley as he had an old school element to his game and he did all the little things well. Unfortunately he never found his shot to make himself the kind of shooting threat he needed to be.

Couldn't agree more about the mid majors and Euro Leagues. I played in the 80's and it was all about spacing, hard cuts, picks, moving without the ball, checking out etc etc. That's why I was really rooting for Charlie Easley as he had an old school element to his game and he did all the little things well. Unfortunately he never found his shot to make himself the kind of shooting threat he needed to be.
What’s a pick? Seriously, I made a couple of guys all conference setting picks for them, yet all we see is this matador version. I’m still not sure what the advantage actually is.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back