• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 sports seasons from a guy who knows

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
One of my best friends is a consultant to a number of professional, semi-pro, and college sports programs. He meets with the heavyweights in these programs/organizations regularly. Here is what he is telling me:

• NBA is likely done for the year.
  • MLB is likely done for the year, as are affiliated minor league teams
  • MLS could possibly resume a condensed season late fall
  • NHL brass is still trying to resume in July, but he thinks they are not being realistic
  • NFL almost certainly will not start on time. Executives are hoping for a fall training camp and a short season.
  • NCAA fall sports are in jeopardy, it is unlikely they will play, and if they do, it will be condensed seasons.

2020 will be a year no one forgets.

I wonder when some of these kinds of things get announced officially, if they are true.

I forgot to add that he did say that MLB is looking at the possibility of a shortened fall season stretching into December with a "tournament" in 4 warm-weather climate cities. Just being discussed - more of a moon shot deal.

Last edited:

The big question in my mind, ncaa football-wise, is whether or not the players will lose a year of eligibility if the whole season is cancelled. It would be crappy to steal a year from everyone, but if you don't, they're going to have to do something about scholarship limits or else the 2020 class is going to get screwed in recruiting.

The big question in my mind, ncaa football-wise, is whether or not the players will lose a year of eligibility if the whole season is cancelled. It would be crappy to steal a year from everyone, but if you don't, they're going to have to do something about scholarship limits or else the 2020 class is going to get screwed in recruiting.

The financial duress on athletic programs is already going to be substantial. Just because the NCAA (or NAIA) grants an extra year for everyone, does not mean that athletic budgets have the means to fund all of those. They likely will not.

The vast majority of college programs are running almost exclusively on student taxes. I have an AD friend who is saying they are preparing for a minimum 10% enrollment drop in the fall. You are going to see a lot of D1 programs either drop football or drop down to D2, D2 programs drop to D3, and a lot of D3 programs with volunteer head coaches and very limited travel.

Game changer.

Last edited:

Is it logistically possible that football occur in the spring? Honest question, have no idea. It would be weird but better than losing a whole season.

I suppose anything is possible. But you would have to coordinate it with winter/spring sports. Basketball, baseball etc. Certainly volleyball could move to spring, assuming they aren’t sharing practice / playing facilities with basketball. That wouldn’t be an issue for D1s but many D2s and D3s only have one gym.

Last edited:
One of my best friends is a consultant to a number of professional, semi-pro, and college sports programs. He meets with the heavyweights in these programs/organizations regularly. Here is what he is telling me:

• NHL brass is still trying to resume in July, but he thinks they are not being realistic
  • NFL almost certainly will not start on time. Executives are hoping for a fall training camp and a short season.
  • NCAA fall sports are in jeopardy, it is unlikely they will play, and if they do, it will be condensed seasons.
I don't have enough sand in my pocket to agree or disagree with your friend. I would only add that all options should be on the table for every business and a consultants job is to help identify those options. Shutting everything down would be one extreme. The other extreme is continuing the season as scheduled.

I have faith in man and his ability to overcome obstacles. If we are still in lockdown mode in June sports will be the last of our concerns.

I don't think the spring game will be the issue. Canceling the 2nd semester and spring practice is the likely scenario with no guarantee fall football will even take place.
This was my post on March 11th in the thread regarding a fanless spring game. Long before cancelations started. I still stand by it and might take it a step farther. This could have major impacts on sports as a whole going forward if we don't get our head around doom and glum reactions. Its not a popular statement or politically correct but right now.......this appears to be a media/social media driven frenzy that hasn't had the results other pandamics and normal flue seasons have had. Yes we have a lot of confirmed cases because we are testing for every flue like symptom. Today we passed the 1000 mark on deaths. However the CDC says that for the 2020 flu season.
1585227438315.png

Now the CDC is saying we normally average 30,000 deaths and no panic. Over 12,000 died to swine flu and no panic. Now again I'm not saying coronavirus is not real nor am I saying it cannot surpass these numbers. But what I'm saying is if we are canceling all these major events, stopping major sports, shutting down major venues like Las Vegas long before the deaths even started here...…...I'm just asking what is in store for us the next time around?

Will the flu season be a source of work stoppages and shutting down the nation in the future? I know the standard answer will be "well life is more important than sports events, and the normal its better to be safe than sorry" but to what extent? Do we stop letting people drive because they kill 40,000 each year? There has to be some balance to the rational and expense to the world trying to medically protect a portion of the population that are dying of natural causes anyway. Viruses are a natural cause.

This seems extremely pessimistic to me ... lets say its mid-May till restrictions are lifted ... lets say it takes 6 weeks to get everyone back into shape ... that puts late June till players are ready ... NFL/College FB opens on time with that kind of timetable.

MLB could certainly have a reduced season of some kind. NBA maybe, maybe not.

The mid-May restriction lifting timetable in my personal opinion is still viable ranging between optimistic and pessimistic.

Just to be clear, my friend isn’t being pessimistic - he was just telling me what the conversations are. And it is not his job to recommend whether or not seasons happen - he ain’t that sort of consultant. Relying on him for that would be akin to asking your lawn guy to be your marriage counselor. :Mfclap:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back