• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 sports seasons from a guy who knows

Is it logistically possible that football occur in the spring? Honest question, have no idea. It would be weird but better than losing a whole season. Still a lot of time between now and fall though so hopefully things get under control.

Logistically, maybe. It would be a nightmare to schedule for a school that uses one facility for football/soccer/lacrosse (not to mention a nightmare for the staff that has to take care of a grass field) but I think bigger schools could handle it without much of a problem. TV would eat it up. The XFL got decent ratings and great fan support in many markets before their season was cancelled. Americans love football, regardless when it's played.

The real problem would be, how short of a season do you make it? As physically demanding as football is, I don't think you can have a full season in the spring and then expect everybody to come back healthy in the fall. Plus, how would coaches get out on the road to recruit and still be around enough during the week to coach their current guys?

Because the weather is so good here, LOTS of people are still out and about. Golf courses are very busy—even during the week. We are supposed to hit 90 next week. I am not sure the warm sun is helping here.

I'm in Virginia and they just issued a mandatory "stay at home!" order in Va, Maryland and DC today. Gatherings of more than 10 people are also banned. The beaches in the tidewater area have been crowded as have the public parks. Where I live in northern VA, the city's had reports of people using "closed" basketball courts for crowded 5 on 5 pickup games, and people were out in DC looking at the cherry blossoms like nothing was wrong in the world.

The NCAA just announced that athletes who would have participated in spring sports will be granted an extra year of eligibility. That means everybody, not just seniors. Schools will be allowed to expand rosters to accommodate incoming freshmen as well as the seniors who stay for an extra year. They left it up to each school to decide whether the seniors who stay will get less financial aid or not.

If fall sports are cancelled entirely, I would expect the same to be done for those sports but nobody knows yet.

Well I guess that answers that question

Last edited:
I'm in Virginia and they just issued a mandatory "stay at home!" order in Va, Maryland and DC today. Gatherings of more than 10 people are also banned. The beaches in the tidewater area have been crowded as have the public parks. Where I live in northern VA, the city's had reports of people using "closed" basketball courts for crowded 5 on 5 pickup games, and people were out in DC looking at the cherry blossoms like nothing was wrong in the world.
Unrelated to your post, but I saw your username, and I was curious where you're from. Are you in the Roanoke area?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back