• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 Season Stats - 1 Game

HuskerInOkieland

Heisman
15 Year Member
1603647554143.png

This is why I'm confused as to why people are panicking. Our offense looked good even without our two big-play-potential receivers out. Martinez looked good and was flowing well in the offense. Anytime he dropped back and there was a hole to run through, he hit it. No interceptions is big on offense, but the secondary has to be better. I understand we are not on the level of being able to handle multiple 5 star receivers along with a 5 star QB, but we need to improve. My take on why the score was so much different than what actually occurred boils down to 3 things:
1. We HAVE to get stops on third and fourth down
  • Ohio State's first offensive possession, we had them to a 4th & 5, we bat the ball at the line and they have the playmakers to grab it and get the first. If we stop them there, we have momentum with a 7-0 lead.
  • When they kicked the field goal to go up 17-14, GREAT stop by Domann to force the field goal, but they converted a 4th down earlier in the possession. We HAVE to get stops on plays like those and get the ball back.
  • Ohio State's last possession before halftime, 3rd & 7, a chance to get the ball back and go try and score, and they complete an 11 yard pass over the middle. It's so demoralizing to a teams morale when you consistently get them into 3rd & medium-long situations and allow them to convert.
  • I can go on and on about us not getting stops on 3rd & 4th downs, but you guys get the picture. I count six-seven times that game where we had them at 3rd & medium-long or 4th down and they convert. One was a 3rd & 14 run play!!
2. We HAVE to stop fumbling
  • I feel like this one goes without saying, but we still have Pelini Fumbleitis. McCaffery fumbled twice, lost one, Martinez fumbled once and it went for a TD. BOTH lost fumbles occurred on drives where we were slicing through their defense, a 45 yard drive and 30 yard drive respectively, both in Ohio State territory. That's a 21 point swing if we score on both of those possessions and don't turn it over. Frost needs to instill discipline for fumbling, I don't care if its bear crawling laps around the field, what do you think the players will do to avoid doing bear laps? They'll focus a whole lot more on not fumbling. Think about though from that standpoint, we have a 14 point game POTENTIALLY if we just don't put the ball on the turf.
3. BE DISCIPLINE
  • This also goes without saying, but Cam Taylor's targeting was completely unnecessary. While I think football has become a soft sport, he knows the rules, he knows he can't tackle like that. Instead it costs us having him for the first half against Wisconsin, and gave OSU 15 free yards. We had a drive in the first half stall because of an awful false start. That's another drive where we looked like we could go score, end because we don't have the discipline to know the snap count. Also, safety's need to be more discipline. The 47 yard touchdown they threw in the first half, and the announcers were going nuts about it because of how Fields read the safety so well--except it's an EXTREMELY easy read when the safety commits to the crossing route, leaving that post route in one on one coverage with the fastest player on the field easily winning that battle. Deontai Williams has to remember nothing can get behind him, and be there to help Bootle. It's not his fault if that play goes to the cross, and he needs to know where he's supposed to be in Cover Two--THE DEEP HALF. He left that zone to help out on a route over the middle rather than be in deep zone.
Just my two cents on the whole situation, I think we played a lot better than the score showed, and now I have highlighted the small instances that made HUGE differences on said scoreboard. We need to get back to work, fix the fumbling, and understand that all 11 guys have to do THEIR job and no one else's. If all 11 guys do their job, no one can beat you.

GBR MHKHusker out

there were 6-7 really bad plays on offense, that cost us 14 points and
probably 6-7 really bad plays on defense that cust us 14 points, even with that, we prob still get beat, but
we leave the field with our team feeling like they really competed, and had a chance to win. They are
are far superior team, and even with the exceptions mentioned above, still made enuf plays without our
errors that they deserved to win. But it woulda changed the narrative considerably. It woulda been
similiar to the game of 2 seasons ago, at Ohio St.

That totally changes the morale in practice sessions that follow. Lets hope this Sat is a game we
put it all together. Turnovers and penalties have never been a recipe for success. Coach Osborn always
forced this opponents into committing turnovers and penalties, and we capitalized. Simple recipe

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back