• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 QB Commit Logan Smothers advances to state finals in 60 meter dash

I was a huge taylor fan boy - that 2010 KSU night game in Manhattan was the absolute tip-top for him. Big time stage - and he was unbelievably explosive that night - had me thinking Heisman

Also the postgame interview gave us two wonderful Schick and nick show drops - "I spat" and "I like playing against road games"

Love those clips.

Duvall, Frost, and Chinander agreed at last year's coaches' clinic that the 10-yard time is as good of a measure of quickness as the 40, which the 40 is supposed to measure. They don't mind having 40 times, but they thought that it didn't reveal much more than the 10. If you're measuring speed, even at 100 yards some world-class sprinters are still accelerating, so the 40 doesn't necessarily measure top-end speed either. For football purposes, only maybe on a kickoff return will a player ever reach top-end speed, so the acceleration is more relevant.

I'd never thought about any of the above until they talked about it, but now I tend to agree. Any thoughts, @ShortSideOption ?
I don't care about the 10 or the 40. With the new Touchback rules starting at the 25.......I want to measure the 75 yard dash. :Banana:

I was a huge taylor fan boy - that 2010 KSU night game in Manhattan was the absolute tip-top for him. Big time stage - and he was unbelievably explosive that night - had me thinking Heisman

Also the postgame interview gave us two wonderful Schick and nick show drops - "I spat" and "I like playing against road games"

I remember watching that game in the back row of my grad school class with an undergrad girl sitting next to me. I had to tell her to temper her excitement because the prof looked our way a few times. That same prof ended up being on my dissertation committee haha.

Curious if *** or N2FL feel that Smothers's rating will rise this fall. He seems way more talented than an 86 and a 3 star.

Is Smothers planning to graduate early? If so this is his last chance at indoor track. Good luck either way.

This is a really fun debate to talk about, hits home with me. I was pretty tall, and had a really fast 100 meter time. But I was by no means quick, my 40 was fast, but not as impressive as my 100 meter, and while I never ran the 10 yard dash, that would have been average at best. I still remember running suicides (one sideline to the other) and seeing guys that my 100 was better than beating me, because they could get up to speed faster. Another time, we were doing spring conditioning and the coaches knew my times, we had a drill where we started on our stomach and then sprinted 20 yards to work on core and reaction and sprinting. I couldn't win a single one of those, and one of my coaches was coming with "you are obviously dogging it, you should be winning every single one of these!" I just couldn't get up to speed as fast as others.

Personally, i'll take a guy that has a lower top end speed but can get to his top end the quickest. If he gets caught from behind, it is what it is, but some of the guys that are really fast but take longer to get up and going might not even break away to get caught from behind. It's why there are WRs that are considered "striders". In the 40, I wasn't to top speed yet. I feel like I was in the 100s, but everyone is different. There's a reason that many times someone that wins the 60m indoors at NCAAs isn't the same as who wins the 100m, the start is so crucial.

***: I really like hearing your take on these issues. I come from a pure track background, and I agree that pure 100m speed gives an indication of what someone can do, how fast they get there makes all the difference in the world. I thought there was someone who questioned track speedsters having success in football, and I thought I would mention a few: Bob Hayes, first man to win Olympic gold (1964 in 10.03) in 100m and a Super Bowl ring; Robert Griffin III, who was a world-class 400m hurdler at age 17; Eric Crouch; Herschel Walker was #23 in the world in 100m (10.23) in 1982; Bo Jackson was also a successful 100m runner (10.44); Deion Sanders ran 10.26 in the 100m. There have been some very impressive football players who were competitive in the 100m.

***: I really like hearing your take on these issues. I come from a pure track background, and I agree that pure 100m speed gives an indication of what someone can do, how fast they get there makes all the difference in the world. I thought there was someone who questioned track speedsters having success in football, and I thought I would mention a few: Bob Hayes, first man to win Olympic gold (1964 in 10.03) in 100m and a Super Bowl ring; Robert Griffin III, who was a world-class 400m hurdler at age 17; Eric Crouch; Herschel Walker was #23 in the world in 100m (10.23) in 1982; Bo Jackson was also a successful 100m runner (10.44); Deion Sanders ran 10.26 in the 100m. There have been some very impressive football players who were competitive in the 100m.
It’s an interesting thing to look at. I always look at a guy like Dusty Stamer, who was an unbelievable track guy in high school, then went to play football at USD and I believe was freshman of the year in that conference (if he wasn’t he was still an outstanding performer there). He transfers to Nebraska and ends up getting even faster, but Solich told him his speed just wasn’t translating on the field. Goes out for the track team and is running 10.1s but just couldn’t make it work at Nebraska despite getting faster than what he was up at USD where he dominated college football.

You then look at guys like Erwin Swiney, Eric Crouch, I believe even Randy Stella (always love throwing him in conversations as he was a LB who also did kick returns for us, awesome). Those guys ran track and weren’t elite, but their speed was elite on game days. Crouch could get up to speed so quick, when he made a decision to cut up field, defenses had a tough time closing the angle. Swiney struggled at Nebraska but was so gifted he still found a spot with Green Bay.

You then have cases like Stamer or Jeff Demps who was in the Olympics and an NFL coach told him to just stick with track.

Bottom line for me is I’d rather have a guy that’s running some fast track times at skill positions. Having track speed is never going to be a detriment. I’d rather have a lineman that is throwing the shot or disc or playing basketball before getting to college, competing and being well-rounded isn’t going to hurt. But there’s no one answer unfortunately to if it will translate.

It’s an interesting thing to look at. I always look at a guy like Dusty Stamer, who was an unbelievable track guy in high school, then went to play football at USD and I believe was freshman of the year in that conference (if he wasn’t he was still an outstanding performer there). He transfers to Nebraska and ends up getting even faster, but Solich told him his speed just wasn’t translating on the field. Goes out for the track team and is running 10.1s but just couldn’t make it work at Nebraska despite getting faster than what he was up at USD where he dominated college football.

You then look at guys like Erwin Swiney, Eric Crouch, I believe even Randy Stella (always love throwing him in conversations as he was a LB who also did kick returns for us, awesome). Those guys ran track and weren’t elite, but their speed was elite on game days. Crouch could get up to speed so quick, when he made a decision to cut up field, defenses had a tough time closing the angle. Swiney struggled at Nebraska but was so gifted he still found a spot with Green Bay.

You then have cases like Stamer or Jeff Demps who was in the Olympics and an NFL coach told him to just stick with track.

Bottom line for me is I’d rather have a guy that’s running some fast track times at skill positions. Having track speed is never going to be a detriment. I’d rather have a lineman that is throwing the shot or disc or playing basketball before getting to college, competing and being well-rounded isn’t going to hurt. But there’s no one answer unfortunately to if it will translate.

I find it interesting how some guys can maintain that elite speed with pads on and some guys can't. And then there's the even more expectional guys that don't seem to lose their speed at all even with a football in their hands while others just seem to come back to the pack

Did Taylor Martinez ever do track? Have to think he would have had a great 60m time.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back