• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 Juco PF Lat Mayen Is 'N'

Ran across this! Looks very interesting, could be a good 'get' for us.

Stretch 4. 6'9" 210 lbs.
Originally from Sudan, wound up in Australia where he was highly-regarded, committing to TCU.
Redshirted his freshman year, played sporadically last season before a knee injury ended his season after 17 games after which he transferred, ending up at Chipola College.
Has an outside stroke and can rebound.

6’9 Forward Lat Mayen of Chipola (Pictured Above) – The TCU transfer showed his versatility and ability to play inside and out at a high level

Plus some Video Highlights:

Last edited:

I heard Lat Mayen was in Lincoln Fri & Sat (12/27&28), but I don't know whether he attended Sunday's game vs TA&M-CC or how any visit went.

Last edited:
Found some stats for Lat Mayen elsewhere that are interesting.

He only averages 9.3 points per game, which, for a junior college recruit, doesn't seem like a lot. But he's shooting 40% from beyond the arc, 46.5% from the field, and 82.4% from the line (!). He has more assists than turnovers. Perhaps most significantly, he grabs 8.1 rebounds per game.

He does a lot of what you want. He might not score a lot, but we have other scorers on the squad. What we need is a guy who rebounds well and who's capable of hitting that pick-and-pop 3. And this guy can do both of those things.

Video of a recent game (Chipola vs So. Georgia - 1:43:12) for your viewing pleasure!

(Mayen is #11 in White; makes a nice drive & dunk about 5:35 Mark)

Found this elsewhere and thought it was worthy of repeating here! ;)

Lat's averaged a double-double since we last posted in this thread 14/10 a game across 10 games. Averaging 15/9 a game in conf. Shooting 46/38/83.

I’m very interested in seeing where this kid is next year. Athletic and long enough to be an effective enough rebounder and defender at this level. Statistically, he can knock down 3’s and stretch the floor. I don’t think he’s going to win you games but you need versatile guys like this to build a roster.

I dont know fellas, I really wish we would recruit some high school kids. If this turns into the Kansas State version of college basketball I don't think I will be all that excited.

Look at what he did at ISU. Rotating cast of high quality transfers, JC’s, misfits to start off, with a solid core of HS’ers that developed (e.g. Niang, Morris, Mitrou-Long, Matt Thomas). Niang in particular was a great story. That group of players won 3 Big 12 tourneys and went to the Sweet 16 twice, with Fred/Prohm .

Flip the roster 14/15 to start off... you need to expect some additional turnover. This is still year 1. Until they get some players and win some games, there will be duct tape and baling wire for a bit. Look for him to land 2-3 HS guys that might be a little overlooked or under rated (or not) in the next two classes that form a nucleus.

Look at what he did at ISU. Rotating cast of high quality transfers, JC’s, misfits to start off, with a solid core of HS’ers that developed (e.g. Niang, Morris, Mitrou-Long, Matt Thomas). Niang in particular was a great story. That group of players won 3 Big 12 tourneys and went to the Sweet 16 twice, with Fred/Prohm .

Flip the roster 14/15 to start off... you need to expect some additional turnover. This is still year 1. Until they get some players and win some games, there will be duct tape and baling wire for a bit. Look for him to land 2-3 HS guys that might be a little overlooked or under rated (or not) in the next two classes that form a nucleus.
I get that this type of recruiting and team building has worked other places, I just don't like it as much. I enjoy watching 18 year old kids grow and mature as players over the course of 4-5 years way more then bringing in hired guns that this is their ticket to get into the league. The past 10 years have not been that good for Husker football but watching kids like Rex Burkhead, Ameer Abdullah, and Lamar Jackson do the type of growth they did and become the men they became has provided a lot of enjoyment even during less then satisfying seasons. Obviously winning is important too and it may take this type of roster building to jump start the program but I hope eventually the transfer becomes the exception rather then the rule someday soon.

I get that this type of recruiting and team building has worked other places, I just don't like it as much. I enjoy watching 18 year old kids grow and mature as players over the course of 4-5 years way more then bringing in hired guns that this is their ticket to get into the league. The past 10 years have not been that good for Husker football but watching kids like Rex Burkhead, Ameer Abdullah, and Lamar Jackson do the type of growth they did and become the men they became has provided a lot of enjoyment even during less then satisfying seasons. Obviously winning is important too and it may take this type of roster building to jump start the program but I hope eventually the transfer becomes the exception rather then the rule someday soon.

It was the ‘exception’ here for the last 50+ years. How did that work out
as far as NCAA wins goes?

Fred’s system works, his coaching works, his roster management works in a town not too distant, nor dissimilar, from Lincoln, except of course when it comes to historical basketball success.

Lament all you want...Royce White, Nader, McKay, Clyburn, Kane. A LOT of talent went through Ames in a short time...along with a lot of success that Nebraska has only dreamed about.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back