• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 Husker Play Calling - How Will It Change?

I don't remember which game it was last year, but the plays Martinez looked like he was trying to hurry the process up/looking impatient/worried he'd run out of time, seemed most often to be plays we changed personnel groups either to take advantage of personnel on the field for the defense or in an effort to catch them in a transition. More times than not watching the replays, we'd have guys run on/off and so would the defense and then the waiting game would start. I get not knowing 100% what you're going to run when the players are running on......while you're waiting to see what the defense responds with, but it should be a fairly short list of options you're looking at based on our personnel and who the defense has out there. We never really looked 'Hurry up' and 'Face paced' and always seemed like we took ourselves out of rhythm, made Martinez uncomfortable and I'd imagine pushed him to rush things. I keep hearing Lubick will 'Speed things up' and maybe that's the case. If he's got a quicker trigger finger, that would help. Hell, call the wrong play with confidence and at least give the kids a fair shot at lining up and looking over the defense prior to the snap.
Yep, he wanted it faster too. If I went tinfoil hat on you, I think he saw what was happening and it wasn't being relayed as quick.

Yep, he wanted it faster too. If I went tinfoil hat on you, I think he saw what was happening and it wasn't being relayed as quick.

Looks that way watching it play out.

He gets twitterpated, the kids around him KNOW he's spun up and everyone gets the yips. Guys cut routes short, he misses spots, it just kind of snowballs. Compare and contrast with year one when it looked like the kid had ice in his veins and 100% command. I need to go back and watch a few from 2018 just for reference. Not like there's jack to watch right now from a 'Fresh' sports perspective.

Frost will still call the plays, but what will change this year is the call sheet that he's using. Austin will heavily influence both the running plays and the running component of the RPOs on his play sheet, and Lubick will do the same with the passing side.

There's no way that I can pretend to know what was going on in the booth last year (or in '18), but I can say with a lot of confidence that Lubick's personality much more closely matches with the sort of cold-blooded assassin/accountant that you want up in the booth for you when you're on the sideline calling plays. That guy has to be OCD with the details, robotic in his focus, and able to quickly analyze and communicate all that he's seeing, in real time. Knowing what I know now, I'm pretty sure that that's what Solich did for Osborne, but I don't think Solich ever had somebody like that to help him in the same way.

Being on the same wavelength isn't just coach-speak. When guys have worked together, and everything meshes, it's amazing to watch. Based on his actions and choices, I assume that that wasn't happening with Walters, but that it had happened with Lubick.

Last edited:

How on the page should they be with a whole extra semester to study and make those pages?

The only question should be players' ability to execute based on what coaches teach them to do. When ever someone has time and more time to stare at the plan, it can have a way of complicating one's ability to communicate that plan. Hopefully all of this time to create and recreate the plans and focus on the details doesn't lead to a lower implementation.

It is like knowing the details so well that you focus on teaching all the way to the 5th option, since the first ones are so obvious to you. But the players may not be ready for the level of detail that coaches are, since coaches have been staring at the details all spring and summer, while the players are at home away from things.

It is like knowing the details so well that you focus on teaching all the way to the 5th option, since the first ones are so obvious to you. But the players may not be ready for the level of detail that coaches are, since coaches have been staring at the details all spring and summer, while the players are at home away from things.
I suppose that that could happen, but everything, everywhere seems to be going in the opposite direction. Tom Brady and Belichick were trying to get to the point that every offensive concept was a one-word play call/symbol/signal. This is what most coaches dream of having, yet still having the ability to call a full panoply of plays. Based on everything that everyone associated with the program was saying this spring, the focus is to move to making everything simpler, and to perfect the details. Obviously, they'd be better off with the spring practices, but as far as prep for the fall, I suspect that there will be on-going conversations about better, simpler, more streamlined ways to call and combine plays, as well as the details in running them. If Austin didn't think that the O-linemen's strengths were utilized last year, they have plenty of time now to strip it down, rebuild it, rename it, and push it out digitally to the players for them to digest. It's not ideal for us in that Farniok was shifting positions, and we were moving at least 1 new starter into the O-line to replace him at Rt-OT, but at least we're loaded with returning offensive players, including the whole O-line. It's a lot easier to go from the white board--the theoretical--to the field when they already have a lot of experience in what you've been doing.

All told, I have to think that missing spring practices will hurt a team like Purdue a lot more than it will hurt us for that first game. We might even look back and think that Frost actually caught his first break in all of this. Purdue will probably be pretty salty by the end of the year, but we get them at the start.

All told, I have to think that missing spring practices will hurt a team like Purdue a lot more than it will hurt us for that first game. We might even look back and think that Frost actually caught his first break in all of this. Purdue will probably be pretty salty by the end of the year, but we get them at the start.

Certainly will be interesting to see. Absolutely some teams will come of it better than others, and hopefully we are on the positive side.

If that season opener happens at all, that is.

I suppose that that could happen, but everything, everywhere seems to be going in the opposite direction. Tom Brady and Belichick were trying to get to the point that every offensive concept was a one-word play call/symbol/signal. This is what most coaches dream of having, yet still having the ability to call a full panoply of plays. Based on everything that everyone associated with the program was saying this spring, the focus is to move to making everything simpler, and to perfect the details. Obviously, they'd be better off with the spring practices, but as far as prep for the fall, I suspect that there will be on-going conversations about better, simpler, more streamlined ways to call and combine plays, as well as the details in running them. If Austin didn't think that the O-linemen's strengths were utilized last year, they have plenty of time now to strip it down, rebuild it, rename it, and push it out digitally to the players for them to digest. It's not ideal for us in that Farniok was shifting positions, and we were moving at least 1 new starter into the O-line to replace him at Rt-OT, but at least we're loaded with returning offensive players, including the whole O-line. It's a lot easier to go from the white board--the theoretical--to the field when they already have a lot of experience in what you've been doing.

Brb googling panoply

I was just thinking, wouldn't it be a good idea for the coaches to "practice" calling a real game? I mean, run a video of a game and they all wear headsets and simulate calling an actual game. Practice calls, rhythm, and just to familiarize with voice recognition and proper communication protocol. They would have some cohesion before the first live game.

I was just thinking, wouldn't it be a good idea for the coaches to "practice" calling a real game? I mean, run a video of a game and they all wear headsets and simulate calling an actual game. Practice calls, rhythm, and just to familiarize with voice recognition and proper communication protocol. They would have some cohesion before the first live game.
They already do something close to this on a small, simple scale. Frost memorizes his play sheet, and he has Held quiz him on it each week. They time it, too. I think other coaches do it with him, too. They yell out a down and distance, score, time, etc., and run through an imaginary series of offensive plays. Frost says that he likes to get to the point that he has his play sheets so memorized that he's not even looking at it. When he does look at it in a game, it's usually to check off which plays he hasn't called yet, etc., rather than trying to remember something.

They are probably searching for things like this to do. rewatch game tape. video calls with recruits and players. Pick out images for those giant play call posters that they hold up. "ALRIGHT EVERYBODY, TO THE HEADSETS! WE HAVE A FAKE GAME TO CALL!!!!!"

That is probably a typical Thursday on Memorial Drive right about now.

This thread gives me more hope about Husker Football this off season than any other I have read.

Its the first that has suggested that this staff could develop into one that would reverse what happened in the 2019 CU, Purdue, and Iowa games and turned winnable games into losses.

I can see from the coaches own comments and the discussion here a meshing of talent amongst the staff that may make the total better the sum of each of the individuals.

Thanks from the depths of my Minnesota Corona bunker, I needed this :).

GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back