• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 Dual Threat QBs

GeorgiaRed

Recruit
10 Year Member
I was looking at the top rated Dual threat QBs on Rivals in 2020. #4 QB was 4 star Logan Smothers and #8 was 4 star Chubba Purdy. Our last great QBs were Frazier and Crouch who were not great passers. Maybe we already have the talent. They just need to be in the right system. LS was not bad against Iowa last year. Thoughts?

I was looking at the top rated Dual threat QBs on Rivals in 2020. #4 QB was 4 star Logan Smothers and #8 was 4 star Chubba Purdy. Our last great QBs were Frazier and Crouch who were not great passers. Maybe we already have the talent. They just need to be in the right system. LS was not bad against Iowa last year. Thoughts?
The previous staff's failure was always player development rather than player recruiting.

I'm hopeful the new staff will be a significant improvement in this regard.

Hope not. He might be Rhule's type of player.
I think he still has two years of eligibility. Most everyone on this board thinks he can’t throw. I think otherwise. Looks to me like he throws just fine, and he can really run. Kid just needs an opportunity to play and find his groove. I’m a big fan of his. His loyalty and seemingly good character, along with his talent, to me, make him someone you’d like to keep around. I hope Mr. Smothers sees this as yet another opportunity.

Last edited:
It would have helped each of them to have had a functional offensive line. Tough to judge them or the running backs with such terrible blocking.
Yes & It would’ve helped them even more to have some decent coaching. Instead their dedicated QB coach for the last several years was a fast blinking QB whisperering jive talking scientist who loved wearing British boy band glasses while smoking cigars with limited, if any, other major college experience, and who was more interested in bragging about how he focused on teaching one how to throw off the wrong foot against your body while on the run & looking the other way than the more typical, standard, basic QB fundamentals taught on most every other high school & college field by apparently slower blinking coaches.…..And though most Husker Fans likely wondered why they’d not seen similar QB play & questionable decision making with such frequency from other QBs across college athletics, ultimately the fans just accepted it since “coach knows best.”

So, IMHO Any actual coaching should help make however many QBs stay A LOT better.

Yes, I was not impressed with Northern Iowa QB guru to say the least…..rant over.

I think he still had two years of eligibility. Most everyone on this board thinks he can’t throw. I think otherwise. Looks to me like he throws just fine, and he can really run. Kid just needs an opportunity to play and find his groove. I’m a big fan of his. His loyalty and seemingly good character, along with his talent, to me, make him someone you’d like to keep around. I hope Mr. Smothers sees this as yet another opportunity.
I’m with you on his throwing. He throws better than most people think. I’m hoping that Rhule is evaluating film between recruiting stops and sees what we think we see. I’m sure he’ll have a conversation with each of the players to tell them whether or not he thinks they fit, and what, if anything they can do to fit better. There will be quite a few who will feel they fit better in other programs and move on via the transfer portal. If Smothers ends up being one of those then we probably know what Rhule’s eval is.

Last edited:
Yes & It would’ve helped them even more to have some decent coaching. Instead their dedicated QB coach for the last several years was a fast blinking QB whisperering jive talking scientist who loved wearing British boy band glasses while smoking cigars with limited, if any, other major college experience, and who was more interested in bragging about how he focused on teaching one how to throw off the wrong foot against your body while on the run & looking the other way than the more typical, standard, basic QB fundamentals taught on most every other high school & college field by apparently slower blinking coaches.…..And though most Husker Fans likely wondered why they’d not seen similar QB play & questionable decision making with such frequency from other QBs across college athletics, ultimately the fans just accepted it since “coach knows best.”

So, IMHO Any actual coaching should help make however many QBs stay A LOT better.

Yes, I was not impressed with Northern Iowa QB guru to say the least…..rant over.
I kind of noticed in year 2 and year 3 that AM was not really developing and had maybe regressed. On this board, there seemed to be a tendency to blame AM for that. The OL was a factor. Injuries were a factor. Coaching had to have been a factor.

Yup, like me some Smothers. The game plan vs Iowa last year was perfect for his skill set, and worked great against a good D, until the meltdown. Think he could still do well at NU.

I kind of noticed in year 2 and year 3 that AM was not really developing and had maybe regressed. On this board, there seemed to be a tendency to blame AM for that. The OL was a factor. Injuries were a factor. Coaching had to have been a factor.
Most of these kids want to be coached & failing to adequately do that more times than not kills development or progress in the player. In the heat of the moment it’s easier to yell at the player on the TV screen, but the coaching or lack thereof is the key, at least to me. I agree there were many causes that impacted “QB progress”. I’m certain our new QB coach will do a better job than the last guy & that will definitely help.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back