• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 Deer Season

2nd and 3

Got Munson'ed.....
2 Year Member
Anybody have any luck yet? Or interesting trail cam pics? Heck, even a good story of a near miss or something.

I only have a doe tag this fall so am not getting too worked up like most years. Any posts are welcome. Need something constructive for once.

Have heard deer like tomatoes. Same thing happened to a buddy a couple years ago. Thought his neighbor was stealing his tomatoes until he set up a camera. Caught that buck 'red mouthed'.
I have about 1/2 acre wooded area behind my house. Got a lot of pix and some video of the doe with her two fawns that come through (and I've put down mneral and golden deer nuggets, so I sort of asked for trouble). Incidentally, I have a trail cam back there too, but I think its reaction time is too slow because I get a lot of pix of nothing.

Anyway, I fenced off a plot for a garden and put in some corn and tomatoes late this year. The 5' fence kept the deer out until the other night/morning when I caught the doe inside it (the two fawns were outside the fence). Grabbed my video cam and got it turned on just in time to catch the doe take a standing jump right over the fence.

I wish I could shoot her, but I'm afraid she'd run off and expire in one of my neighbors' front yards.

I've been out a handful of times so far, but have only seen a couple. One was a really nice doe at 10 yards, but there are a number of nice bucks in the area. I'm hunting one of those until rifle season and will go after meat when that ends.. With bow season being so long, it's easy to be patient.

The weather has been uncooperative and the folks I know who hunt in Eastern Nebraska say movement has been minimal until this week when the cooler temperatures kicked things up. I had to be out of town this weekend and things look warm again all next week. Such is the way it goes.

I saw a very large doe the other night on the way home from work. Unfortunately, she committed suicide by sticking her head in front of my left headlight. She was heavy as I dragged her off the road. She also did $3500 in damage.

Also, looking for tips or ideas for making jerky. Have made it for years but looking for some new ideas. Been doing the ground method and then drying in the oven. Works good but looking to move to a dehydrator. Any good ones I should look at?

Also, looking for tips or ideas for making jerky. Have made it for years but looking for some new ideas. Been doing the ground method and then drying in the oven. Works good but looking to move to a dehydrator. Any good ones I should look at?

I'm sure I don't have the best one out there, but I bought a Gourmia 9-tray a couple years ago and have been happy with it. It's really slick at drying everything evenly. I use fairly thin slices of muscle meat and as long as they're reasonably consistent, they are all ready within 30 minutes of each other without having to rotate the trays. It's a fairly tall unit with a good amount of room between the trays, which is probably a key regardless of brand.

The temperature is set to drop tomorrow and the deer will be moving. I have to wait until Friday night to get out, but am really excited about this weekend.

Made some jerky and sticks this weekend. Jerky in the oven and did some sticks on the neighbors smoker. Both turned out pretty good. Now have to remember what we did for next time. Almost out of last year's meat, just in time for this season.

I shot 3 x 3 last Saturday. He was in full rut. He was darker color than most of the deer taken that day.

Last edited:

20201024_093349.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back