• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 Womens World Cup; Final: USA vs Neatherlands

World Cup Draw tomorrow on FS2 (11 AM) - will be captivating television.

We'll be the top seed in a group and get one of each of the other four Pots. Numbers are their world ranking.

upload_2018-12-7_9-40-38.png

No group can contain more than one team from each confederation apart from UEFA, which have nine teams, where each group must contain either one or two UEFA teams.

A decent draw for us; but, with Sweden for the 6th time in group play. Top two move on for sure and the third place team has a chance as well. 24 total teams for 16 knockout spots.

Dt6l5qRV4AAczMY.jpg

US Women lost their 2019 friendly opener to France, 3-1, in France. Several US starters were out of the lineup due to illness or injury and France is #3 in the world, Not an impressive showing for sure; but, at least there are explainable excuses for the loss.

Up next is a match in Spain on Tuesday. 1:30 PM US Central time on ESPN2.

Other upcoming matches:
27 Feb - 5 March: SheBelieves Cup
Japan in Philadelphia
England in Nashville
Brazil in Tampa

4 April - Australia in Denver
7 April - Belgium in LA

12 May - South Africa in Santa Clara
16 May - New Zealand in St Louis
26 May - Mexico in Harrison NJ

Then, it's off to the World Cup in early June.

r upcoming matches:
27 Feb - 5 March: SheBelieves Cup
Japan in Philadelphia
England in Nashville
Brazil in Tampa

Games start this week. US is still ranked #1 in the world, but lost to #3 France earlier this winter.

Japan is #8, England #4, and Brazil #10.

1st and 3rd games on FS1, England game on regular Fox.
upload_2019-2-24_9-49-10.png

With one game to go in this prep tourney against high quality teams, I am not getting a great feeling about our chances to repeat as World Cup champs. We need the top two teams to draw (tie) and also beat Brazil by 3 or more goals to win the thing. Final matches are on Tuesday.

upload_2019-3-3_18-8-27.png

Last edited:
With one game to go in this prep tourney against high quality teams, I am not getting a great feeling about our chances to repeat as World Cup champs. We need the top two teams to draw (tie) and also beat Brazil by 3 or more goals to win the thing. Final matches are on Tuesday.

View attachment 21407

I am not a fan of Jill Ellis as most folks know. She got lucky in the last cup when several vets took the team on their back and Abby pretty much ciached the team after they stumbled out of the gate

Yeah I agree this team does not look like a contender

Wow, I completely dropped the ball keeping this update through the final spring tuneups. :(

World Cup starts next week (June 7); but, the US is in group F and doesn't play until the 11th.

Full schedule and TV for all the games here:

US Schedule:
11 June (Tuesday): United States vs. Thailand, 2 pm CST, FOX
16 June (Sunday): United States vs. Chile, 11 am CST FOX
20 June (Thursday): Sweden vs. United States, 2 pm CST, FOX

The third game is very likely to determine who finishes first in the group, with the loser likely finishing second.

There is speculation that finishing 2nd might actually be better than first based on the knockout pairings.

Winner of our group plays 2nd place team from Group B (Germany, Spain, or China); but, would also likely be paired against France in Paris in the quarterfinals.

2nd place team plays 2nd place team from group E (Canada, Netherlands, New Zealand, Cameroon). Netherlands is ranked higher than Spain; but, experts think Spain is currently playing better. More importantly, we'd avoid France in the quarters.

China, trying to set women's soccer back 30 years by playing like it's 1989, finally goes down 0-1 to Germany.

Playing ugly to win is one thing, going prehistoric, is another. I hope they don't win a game the entire tournament.

Those Germans pillaged my people more than once over the last couple hundred years, but I'm rooting for them today.

China, trying to set women's soccer back 30 years by playing like it's 1989, finally goes down 0-1 to Germany.

Playing ugly to win is one thing, going prehistoric, is another. I hope they don't win a game the entire tournament.

Those Germans pillaged my people more than once over the last couple hundred years, but I'm rooting for them today.

My daughter and I watched and that was pretty much our take too. Someone should have told them they were not playing rugby. Should have been one possibly two red cards against them

My daughter and I watched and that was pretty much our take too. Someone should have told them they were not playing rugby. Should have been one possibly two red cards against them

I kept wondering when/if a card was coming, I felt like I was watching a match from 1980s soccer

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back