• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 Womens World Cup; Final: USA vs Neatherlands

Decent showing by what was basically our "B" team today and against an outstanding opposing goalkeeper. :oops:

Tomorrow will find the knockout bracket starting to fill in.

8:00 AM matches (Group B) - US cares about this as we would get the runner up, if we beat Sweden Thursday.
China vs Spain
Germany vs. South Africa
Germany should win the group as they sit alone at the top with 6 points and are playing winless South Africa. The winner of China/Spain will be the runner-up (a draw puts Spain into the 2nd spot on goal difference).

2:00 PM matches (Group A) - Minor interest here as we'd likely get the winner of this group in the quarterfinals if we beat Sweden and win our first knockout game.
France vs. Nigeria
Norway vs. South Korea
France is sitting alone on top with a big goal difference advantage. Any of the other three can still finish second; but, So Korea has a big negative goal difference to overcome; even if they beat Norway, I think it would have to be by at least four goals.

Spain vs China today. Possession vs Physical. Neither team have much if any scoring threat. China may survive only because of WC experience. USA should beat either one with not to much trouble. So we get is not an issue in my opinion

Spain vs China. As expected a snooze affair. China as expected had one shot.

Spain finishes second in the Group by GD over China. US wins over pits them vs Spain and a loss vs Germany

Last edited:
Results as expected yesterday, although Nigeria gave France a tougher than expected contest only to lose on a goal line violation determined by VAR.

Two games today to decide group C.

2:00 pm Central: Italy vs. Brazil
2:00 pm Central: Australia vs. Jamaica

This is an interesting group with 3 similarly good teams. Italy leads the group with 6 points and will advance regardless of the outcome. Brazil and Australia both sit at 3 points, with Brazil having a +2 goal differential.

I'm predicting an Australia win to get them to 6 and send them to the knockouts. I have no idea about the Italy vs. Brazil game.

Marta becomes top scorer in Women's WC history. Yet Brazil has never won anything a WC or a Gold Medal in the Olympics.

That penalty today to me could have easily been a foul on the Brazil player as she drew that foul by charging the Italian girl.

Oh and I am not of Marta. :)

If I understand the 3rd place placements into the knockout rounds, there's a really good chance Brazil plays France in the round of 16. That would be something. Also, I agree with you @Red Reign about Marta. Can't stand her, and it's hard to respect her game after the 2011 quarterfinal debacle.

If I understand the 3rd place placements into the knockout rounds, there's a really good chance Brazil plays France in the round of 16. That would be something. Also, I agree with you @Red Reign about Marta. Can't stand her, and it's hard to respect her game after the 2011 quarterfinal debacle.

Wikipedia always has a good view of the tournaments. Brazil is 3C. So, remaining possibilities are against 1A (France) or 1B (Germany).

Up tomorrow = Group D.

2:00 pm Central = Japan vs. England
2:00 pm Central = Scotland vs. Argentina

England leads the group with 6 points, Japan sits at 4. So, a winner in this match wins the group. Both are moving on regardless.

I think Argentina would clinch a spot in the next round with a win. Scotland could still move on with a win; but, would have to wait until the Thursday games to try to get in on goal difference over the 3rd place teams from those groups.

2008 was worst when they danced and taunted our players in the hotel after their semi-final win. Classless

For a superstar Marta is arguably the most classless. Who can forget her diving theatrics in 2011? Brazilian team for that matter

Not to mention Marta's second goal in 2011 was an uncalled offsides.

One of the few teams I hope we destroy every time we play

If Japan would lose and Argentina win, Argentina could move ahead of Japan based on tiebreakers. They'd at least be tied on goal difference. I think Argentina would need to win by more than 1, have Japan lose by more 1, OR Argentina outscores Japan by two goals.

Last edited:
England v Japan underway. England's toughest game thus far. Win or draw and England takes the group

Japan as all know are the real deal

Japan controlling the game early

England made 8 changes which thus far has not been a good thing

England scores in minute 14 when the Japanese defenders were caught napping

England leads 1-0

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back