• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 Season Stats - 7 Games

HuskerInOkieland

Heisman
15 Year Member

This week’s movers –n- shakers . . .

*Slim pickings this week for the top honor but I have to go with Noah Vedral making his first career start. All things considered, he played pretty well and as Scott Frost said, “played with some guts.” But it is probably not a good thing when your backup QB is the most poised and prepared player on the field for you. Vedral was 14 for 23 for 135 yards and ran for 49 yards. He actually gained 71 yards but was sacked 4 times for 29 yards which skewed his rushing numbers. He was under pressure all night from 3 and 4 man rushes. He engineered a nice drive for the lone late TD before leaving the game with a bit of an injury. Vedral did a good job getting NU to midfield on multiple occasions early in the game only to see the team implode with mistakes every time he did so.

*Sticking to QB, Andrew Bunch saw his first action in awhile but it was tough sledding as he was running for his life on virtually every play. He went 1 for 6 for 13 yards but two balls could easily have been caught. His fourth down pass to Spielman to the goal line was actually a great throw but Spielman fell down and still almost came up with it. After the game, Frost admitted that Bunch hadn’t seen many reps and was put into a tough situation.

*Welcome back Kade Warner. On that TD drive, Warner had 3 catches (his first catches this season) for 38 yards including a nifty 26 yarder (career high) to get the drive started. Ask yourself, how many of our other receivers don’t come up with that 26 yard catch? Missing in action due to injuries, this was only his second game this year and look for him to see more action from this point forward. Hopefully, he can be a spark that the team needs on offense.

*Jaron Woodyard caught his first pass of the year (second of career) for 5 yards. But his false start penalty helped kill a drive.

*Brody Belt saw some action and did pretty well. He had 4 carries for 29 yards and had a nice 22 yard run on his first touch. Congrats to the redshirt freshman walk-on.

*I loved the energy and urgency on the one TD drive. Why did it take so long for anyone to play with passion?

*Spielman with two bad fumbles on punt returns. We were lucky both didn’t end in disaster.

*Broc Bando replaced Trent Hixson and actually played a few more snaps. Don’t know if it was injury related but it is something to keep an eye on going forward.

*Defensively, Lamar Jackson with 2 more pass breakups to give him 11 on the year. His pass defense on the sideline pass where he turned his head at the last second and batted the ball away was a clinic.

*Some of the worst tackling we have seen . . . well perhaps ever. NU struggled all night to bring ball carriers down and never could seem to turn the ball carriers East-West. Mo Barry led with 11tackles while Collin Millerand Marquel Dismuke followed with 10. Not sure anyone deserves much mention though.

*NU had no sacks and no official QBHs although I remember 1 play where the QB took a big hit while throwing it away—this is a statistic that isn’t very uniformly counted. Case in point, Minnesota was credited with 4 sacks and 0 QBHs—I can remember 3 or 4 times our QBs were hit as they threw. I guess the stat keepers in charge of that stat took the night off—much like most of our players.

*I thought Garrett Nelson played with good energy when he got in—and yes, any energy at all really stood out. He had 3 tackles in 13 snaps and 1.5 TFLs for 5 yards. He’s got a chance to be really good with a bit more seasoning.

*NU has now been outscored 193 to 179 this season.

*A coach once told me that when players don’t play hard, injuries are more likely to happen. For several games now, teams have been teeing off on our ball carriers. Get well soon Wan’Dale.

*Going into last week, our kicking woes were aggravated by the opposing teams nailing all their kicks. But last week Northwestern missed a FG and Saturday Minnesota missed an extra point. So we had that going for us.

*Finally NU has its first off week next weekend to heal up and to regroup—followed by two winnable games and another off week. The first order of business has to be the offensive Offensive Line. We have scored 27 points in the last three games and the brutal OL play has been the main culprit. To me it comes down to center. The past three years, we have seen our OLs perform terribly only to see an improvement when a change at center is made. The line always looked pathetic and confused whenever Cole Conrad was our center the past two years. But in 2017, we saw the line start to look decent when Decker replaced him at center only to crumble again when Decker got hurt and Conrad came back. Last year, the 500 yard games started almost to the second that Conrad was replaced by Farmer at center. Some of these guys didn’t suddenly forget how to block. But you cannot block anyone when you don’t know who to block. Perhaps it is time to try Will Farniok and try to improve the poor communication which begins at center—a position manned by a redshirt freshman who played TE last year and missed most of both camps with injuries. And it might also be a good time to examine the redshirt strategy on Benhart. Perhaps moving Matt Farniok to guard might be a good idea coming off the break if burning his redshirt is an option. If not, then perhaps the second break might be the time as there would be three games left and possible a fourth if we make a Bowl Game—so he could play and still maintain his redshirt—a decision could then be made regarding the Bowl Game. Just something to consider.

Last edited:
It would be great to see all the stops pulled to win the next three. Stuff like putting Carlos Davis in as an H-back on the goal-line. Unbalanced Pistol slot-Wing T to set up stretch plays toward the overbalance with read option off the short side; sets up cutbacks and traps. Student body plays. Iso. Tandems. Toss sweeps with guards pulling and a leading fullback. Flanker reverse. Halfback pass. Hook and ladder. Counter plays with buck trap. Quick punts on 3rd and long. Counter trey. Dallas form of counter trey. Naked boot. Waggle. Sprint draw. QB throwback. The bunch series. The fun, no holds barred way to play the game!

Last edited:
O-line is the problem but Jurgens had no snaps issues against MN and he blocks better than most of our O-linemen.
Bando has got to see regular duty, I would move him to RT, move Farniok to RG and Boe Wilson to LG.
This line run blocks better than it pass blocks but we have no explosive I back! Washington and Wan'dale are wingbacks/slot receivers (think Johnny Rodgers). I you use them at I back for more than one game, you will get them injured, especially in Big Ten play as we have seen. If they come back, we need to keep them out wide with spot duty only in the backfield.

So it would be Mills at fullback and Brody at I back and shades of the 1970's grind out first down football but with Warner back as a possession receiver we may need to go to that with Stoll and Allen in the Hook routes.

Goal: score 21-24 points a game, control the clock, no turnovers. We have no playmakers to make Scotts UCF offense run.

O-line is the problem but Jurgens had no snaps issues against MN and he blocks better than most of our O-linemen.
Bando has got to see regular duty, I would move him to RT, move Farniok to RG and Boe Wilson to LG.
This line run blocks better than it pass blocks but we have no explosive I back! Washington and Wan'dale are wingbacks/slot receivers (think Johnny Rodgers). I you use them at I back for more than one game, you will get them injured, especially in Big Ten play as we have seen. If they come back, we need to keep them out wide with spot duty only in the backfield.

So it would be Mills at fullback and Brody at I back and shades of the 1970's grind out first down football but with Warner back as a possession receiver we may need to go to that with Stoll and Allen in the Hook routes.

Goal: score 21-24 points a game, control the clock, no turnovers. We have no playmakers to make Scotts UCF offense run.

Your bolded part is incorrect. Jurgens consistently launched the ball below the optimal height and often places it off center. This is neither 'no snap issues' or much of an improvement over his previous outings. Jurgens rolled the ball back to Vedral at times! People, Vedral, made it look easy. And Jurgens is weak with his snap. Sorry, but this experiment has made the entire team suffer. The cold, hard truth is Jurgens is not getting the first job done required from his position, snapping the ball correctly. Everything beyond the poor snap means very little. If the first job is done incorrectly then it is failure on the play. Making Vedral, Martinez, or Bunch lower their eyes every snap is a needless distraction. Watch the Minnesota center, consistently delivered the ball each time with emphasis to the correct placement!

And Brody Belt at tailback?? You have a Porsche 911 (Mills) yet you're proposing to drive the V4 Mustang (Belt)? Absurd.

Last edited:

Your bolded part is incorrect. Jurgens consistently launched the ball below the optimal height and often places it off center. This is neither 'no snap issues' or much of an improvement over his previous outings. Jurgens rolled the ball back to Vedral at times! People, Vedral, made it look easy. And Jurgens is weak with his snap. Sorry, but this experiment has made the entire team suffer. The cold, hard truth is Jurgens is not getting the first job done required from his position, snapping the ball correctly. Everything beyond the poor snap means very little. If the first job is done incorrectly then it is failure on the play. Making Vedral, Martinez, or Bunch lower their eyes every snap is a needless distraction. Watch the Minnesota center, consistently delivered the ball each time with emphasis to the correct placement!

And Brody Belt at tailback?? You have a Porsche 911 (Mills) yet you're proposing to drive the V4 Mustang (Belt)? Absurd.

If you are in the I formation yes, Mills is a better fullback than he is a tailback. In the single back then yes, Mills in the game before Brody.

All the best.

GBR.

If you are in the I formation yes, Mills is a better fullback than he is a tailback. In the single back then yes, Mills in the game before Brody.

All the best.

GBR.
The bread and butter of the I formation is the power play, not the fullback give/ride. Where is the power coming from when you run the I with Belt? I can tell you that Mills will be more effective as the tailback in the I than as a fullback. Him running fullback just spoke of his versatility.

It would be great to see all the stops pulled to win the next three. Stuff like putting Carlos Davis in as an H-back on the goal-line.

Maybe that's the missing link. Throw a TD to your DL and then he'll turn into a Heisman finalist.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back