• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 In-State Recruits

With the impressive recruiting class Nebraska pulled in for 2018 that was highlighted by many in-state kids, I thought i'd take a look at where we stand with the current top10 in state for 2019 per Prep Baseball Report.

1 - James Valdivia - Elkhorn South - Committed to Arizona State. Had a Nebraska offer at one time but we pulled it when he got hurt at catcher. This is a tough one for me, as he is ranked the #1 player in the state based on his freshman and sophomore campaign, but took a major step back after his injury. He hit .277 this year and didn't make all-state. I'm quite certain this will still be used against Erstad letting talent get out of the state.

2 - Sam Wibbels - Hastings - Committed to Kentucky. This is another tough one, when he committed to Kentucky, he had a 7.66 ERA and just as many walks as strikeouts. For 2018, he was honorable mention in Class B. So again, this is one Erstad will get yelled at about, but what if Frost offered a kid that didn't even make all-state in his class?

3 - Sayer Diedrich - Elkhorn South - Commmitted to Nebraska. The best LHP in the state for 2019, which makes the second year in a row we pulled the best lefty in Nebraska in. But he wasn't all-state in 2018.

4 - Jake Gish - Millard South - Committed to Arkansas State. A middle infielder putting up some pretty impressive numbers, but many D1 schools aren't impressed. I would actually take the guy from Lincoln Southwest over him and hope we do.

5 - Drew Reetz - Elkhorn South - Hit .400 this year and is currently uncommitted

6 - Alex Rodgers - Omaha Roncalli - Extremely athletic and I think it's still up in the air whether he is going to play football or baseball in college. Speculating on that though.

7 - Cameron Frederick - Lincoln Southwest - Not committed currently, and a pipeline to this school would be beneficial. We took a ton of infielders last class so may be up to if he can play in the OF? Not sure there.

8 - Cole Evans - Grand Island - Committed to Creighton. Hit .432 this year in the OF to earn first team all-state honors.

9 - Hunter Cerveny - Wilber/Clatonia - Committed to Nebraska, don't know a lot about him as he's outside the Lincoln/Omaha area.

10 - Logan Van Treek - Lincoln Southeast - LHP that earned first team all-state honors.

Guys to keep an eye on are Povich heading to a JUCO in Arizona as a pitcher, and the Burke pitcher heading to Beatrice. Could get them like the Palensky kid from Beatrice this year.

With the impressive recruiting class Nebraska pulled in for 2018 that was highlighted by many in-state kids, I thought i'd take a look at where we stand with the current top10 in state for 2019 per Prep Baseball Report.

1 - James Valdivia - Elkhorn South - Committed to Arizona State. Had a Nebraska offer at one time but we pulled it when he got hurt at catcher. This is a tough one for me, as he is ranked the #1 player in the state based on his freshman and sophomore campaign, but took a major step back after his injury. He hit .277 this year and didn't make all-state. I'm quite certain this will still be used against Erstad letting talent get out of the state.

2 - Sam Wibbels - Hastings - Committed to Kentucky. This is another tough one, when he committed to Kentucky, he had a 7.66 ERA and just as many walks as strikeouts. For 2018, he was honorable mention in Class B. So again, this is one Erstad will get yelled at about, but what if Frost offered a kid that didn't even make all-state in his class?

3 - Sayer Diedrich - Elkhorn South - Commmitted to Nebraska. The best LHP in the state for 2019, which makes the second year in a row we pulled the best lefty in Nebraska in. But he wasn't all-state in 2018.

4 - Jake Gish - Millard South - Committed to Arkansas State. A middle infielder putting up some pretty impressive numbers, but many D1 schools aren't impressed. I would actually take the guy from Lincoln Southwest over him and hope we do.

5 - Drew Reetz - Elkhorn South - Hit .400 this year and is currently uncommitted

6 - Alex Rodgers - Omaha Roncalli - Extremely athletic and I think it's still up in the air whether he is going to play football or baseball in college. Speculating on that though.

7 - Cameron Frederick - Lincoln Southwest - Not committed currently, and a pipeline to this school would be beneficial. We took a ton of infielders last class so may be up to if he can play in the OF? Not sure there.

8 - Cole Evans - Grand Island - Committed to Creighton. Hit .432 this year in the OF to earn first team all-state honors.

9 - Hunter Cerveny - Wilber/Clatonia - Committed to Nebraska, don't know a lot about him as he's outside the Lincoln/Omaha area.

10 - Logan Van Treek - Lincoln Southeast - LHP that earned first team all-state honors.

Guys to keep an eye on are Povich heading to a JUCO in Arizona as a pitcher, and the Burke pitcher heading to Beatrice. Could get them like the Palensky kid from Beatrice this year.

I would take:

Valdivia
Diedrich
Reetz
Frederick
Evans
Cerveny
Van Treek

I'd let Wibbels and Rodgers go.

2019 in-state getting interesting... Valdivia decommits from ASU, rumor has it Diedrich and Nebraska parted ways. I really wanted Frederick from Southwest but we were stocked at his position already apparently. And i'm still trying to figure out if Cerveny is actually a scholarship or walk-on offer.

I talked with the Hutch coach this summer and fall about a few Nebraska kids I coached that he has invited in for an invite only workout this fall. He didn’t say anything bad about UNL, he just didn’t talk about them at all while he did talk other D1 target schools.

I talked with the Hutch coach this summer and fall about a few Nebraska kids I coached that he has invited in for an invite only workout this fall. He didn’t say anything bad about UNL, he just didn’t talk about them at all while he did talk other D1 target schools.

Not surprising. A JUCO coach isn't going to get his program where he wants to go by being a pipeline to a Big 10 baseball school.

Having a line to SEC and other warm weather schools is going to get a hell of a lot better players than parking kids in Nebraska. *** is right; UNL has to get those kids before they leave the state.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back