• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 2019 In-State recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspired by the article on the home page today – but being a former 8 man player myself – any in-state talent this year in the smaller classes... D1 and D2?

From the link...
For the first time since 2008, the state’s top 5 prospects have offers from Nebraska. The 2008 cycle, which was Bo Pelini’s transition class, featured nine offers to Nebraska natives. The Huskers signed five. For Frost and his staff to match that in-state success in 2019, they will have to do more with less, since it’s unlikely they will offer nine Nebraska prospects. In fact, the Huskers could be done offering in-state players, making the recruitments of Henrich and Hickman all the more imperative.

Landing Henrich and Hickman will be a challenge. Hickman has 10 offers, while Henrich holds 17. Other regional programs, such as Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota and Wisconsin, pose the biggest challenges to their commitments. However, Henrich also holds offers from national programs such as Florida, Penn State, Notre Dame and Oregon.

The most in-state prospects Nebraska has signed since 2008 is four, doing it twice: 2010 and 2011. In the 2018 recruiting class, Nebraska signed just one Nebraska native in 4-star tight end Cameron Jurgens. He was among the three in-state recruits offered by the Huskers, with 3-star defensive tackles Bryson Williams (Wisconsin) and Masry Mapieu (Louisiana-Lafayette) going elsewhere.

Scott Frost’s return has included an emphasis to recruit the best in-state prospects, and not simply via the walk-on program. Nebraska has not been afraid to offer in-state recruits, with five offers out in the 2019 class. The Huskers have only one offer out to a 2020 Nebraska prospect — Bellevue West wide receiver Zavier Betts. That is expected to change, though, opening the door for Maessner and others.

“For sure, that’s the end goal,” Maessner said of potentially earning an offer from Nebraska. “I really feel like that if I work hard enough I can get to that point.”

If an offer does eventually arrive, it will mean “everything” to Maessner.

“That’s every Nebraska boy’s dream, playing for the Huskers,” he said. “If that becomes a reality, that would really be something.”

Held has been known to favor prospects with track experience at running back. That’s another box Maessner checks. He’s run a 10.81-second 100-meter dash and a 21.74-second 200 this spring. Nebraska invited Maessner to the spring game this weekend, but a track meet will keep him from attending.

“I was pretty disappointed about that, that they had to fall on the same day,” he said.

I wish there was a Nebraska recruit with the last name Garrett.

He lives in Ong.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back