• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 Gold Cup; Final: USA v Mexico

Well, about as expected.

As a guy who was down on Arriola early in his time, I love what the guy brings every night. Morris should be forced to sit and watch a couple game films watching Arriola get involved in the game. Morris just doesn't do it. He sits high and makes average runs. He's not fast enough to make the runs count and can't control the ball even if he does receive.

When was the last time the US absolutely had the best player on the field against Mexico? That's Pulisic. It's been awhile since we've had a guy who could effortlessly control the ball in traffic.

Bradley had a really rough game. I'm not sure he won a challenge all night. The guy positions himself defensively so well, but the body just won't allow him to play against faster teams like Mexico. Offensively, we don't play the style of ball that lends to his strengths.

I thought Mexico would have more success against Ream on the left. Maybe they did.

Miazga, who I have not been happy with, is actually starting to come around. A decent game overall. He got caught watching on the miss hit across the box that led to a deflect chance, but that's being pretty harsh on my part.

This Cup was a huge positive of the US. No doubt about it. We have young pieces. We knew he had young pieces and several of them showed up and played well enough. A guy like Yedlin should have severe troubles getting back to a starting role. Cannon played better than I've ever seen Yedlin play in a US uniform. The best part of our youth movement is that this is just the first wave. We have another one coming and that 15 to 18-year-old group is better.

Well, about as expected.

As a guy who was down on Arriola early in his time, I love what the guy brings every night. Morris should be forced to sit and watch a couple game films watching Arriola get involved in the game. Morris just doesn't do it. He sits high and makes average runs. He's not fast enough to make the runs count and can't control the ball even if he does receive.

When was the last time the US absolutely had the best player on the field against Mexico? That's Pulisic. It's been awhile since we've had a guy who could effortlessly control the ball in traffic.

Bradley had a really rough game. I'm not sure he won a challenge all night. The guy positions himself defensively so well, but the body just won't allow him to play against faster teams like Mexico. Offensively, we don't play the style of ball that lends to his strengths.

I thought Mexico would have more success against Ream on the left. Maybe they did.

Miazga, who I have not been happy with, is actually starting to come around. A decent game overall. He got caught watching on the miss hit across the box that led to a deflect chance, but that's being pretty harsh on my part.

This Cup was a huge positive of the US. No doubt about it. We have young pieces. We knew he had young pieces and several of them showed up and played well enough. A guy like Yedlin should have severe troubles getting back to a starting role. Cannon played better than I've ever seen Yedlin play in a US uniform. The best part of our youth movement is that this is just the first wave. We have another one coming and that 15 to 18-year-old group is better.

Hence my comment we might have to reach into the U-20 team to blood a striker or two earlier than expected. Remind me much of very young Donovan and Beasley who emerged during the 2002 WC run and competition.

Yup the youth movement is going to be fun to watch

To Paraphrase another sport. I went to a fight and a soccer game broke out. That ref was ridiculous. Mexican player fouls our guy then jumps on his back while he is laying on the ground injured. Not even a yellow card.

To Paraphrase another sport. I went to a fight and a soccer game broke out. That ref was ridiculous. Mexican player fouls our guy then jumps on his back while he is laying on the ground injured. Not even a yellow card.

Par for the course in CONCACAF play. Hopefully VAR will start to weed some of the ridiculousness out, but the Copa showed that VAR can actually make things worse.

Anyone know what the 2022 WCQ format is going to look like CONCACAF? I went to the wiki page, but there's no specifics on how qualifying will be handled, just that the confederation is looking into changing the format so more teams are still playing qualifiers deeper into the cycle.

Also, just want to say that I agree with @jikastew about Arriola. He was a breath of fresh air this tournament. Reminds me of Jermaine Jones, in terms of his work-rate, but he's got a higher ceiling than Jones. He should be a regular call-up going forward.

Anyone know what the 2022 WCQ format is going to look like CONCACAF? I went to the wiki page, but there's no specifics on how qualifying will be handled, just that the confederation is looking into changing the format so more teams are still playing qualifiers deeper into the cycle.

Has not been released yet. Does not start until March 2020. I would guess it will be released in the fall

Par for the course in CONCACAF play. Hopefully VAR will start to weed some of the ridiculousness out, but the Copa showed that VAR can actually make things worse.

CONCACAF is still trailing on the use of VAR. I would assume they have to have it ready to use for the WCQ

I think VAR as they went further into the Women's World Cup was actually very good. Got it right upon review

Last edited:
So a follow up to my previous post about 2022 WCQ. CONCACAF has announced the new format, and not much has changed for those at the top.

The first part of the Concacaf qualifiers, which will be played in a Hexagonal format, will be contested between the top six ranked Concacaf Member Associations based on the FIFA Ranking published after the FIFA window of June 2020. After home-and-away round robin play during the FIFA Match windows of September, October and November of 2020 and March and September of 2021, the top three teams will qualify directly to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™.

So, there's no group stage previous to the Hex, and the top 3 teams in the Hex still get the 3 automatic berths into the WC. The remaining teams (around 35) will be put into groups, and the winner of that separate tournament will play the 4th place team in the Hex for the right to compete in the CONCACAF/CONMEBOL playoff.

Not really sure how I feel about this new set up. The group stage before the Hex was never really a huge hurdle for the USMNT, but for everyone other than Costa Rica and Mexico, it was a chance to play some competitive games, and possibly build up some momentum. Sucks for countries like Canada, Panama, Curacao and T&T, as they'll have a supremely more difficult path to the WC, unless they shoot up the rankings in the next year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back