• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 Gold Cup; Final: USA v Mexico

Boyd has really impressed in his 2 games, and Arriola has also looked good. I think Lima and McKennie faired well and Bradley/Pulisic played okay. Not a bad showing, we can always find things to do better, but I'm okay with the result

I agree good result out of the gate but somethings to fix going forward. Next two games will answer some questions. How far can this team go in the competition? Remains to be seen.

Not sure I have seen anything from the soccer dudes on this board yet about the Berhalter hire...what are your thoughts?

Obviously lot to take into account, young team, rebuilding, etc.

Yup lot of possession but poor passing and some questionable decision making. Hopefully they take a big leap in half two

Second half was better, but I wonder how much of that had to do with Guyana's lack of talent (and probably conditioning). All in all, not a bad performance, but it's Guyana, so we weren't going to find out much from this match. Won by a convincing margin, that's pretty much all that could be asked at this point.

Not sure I have seen anything from the soccer dudes on this board yet about the Berhalter hire...what are your thoughts?

Obviously lot to take into account, young team, rebuilding, etc.

I'm not going to hold the lack of a real coaching search by the top brass in US soccer against Berhalter, so I'm in a wait and see. He was by no means the best candidate out there, though. My expectations for the USMNT are super-super low going into the 2022 WC qualifying cycle, so if he gets the USMNT qualified for the 2022 WC, I'll be happy.

Second half was better, but I wonder how much of that had to do with Guyana's lack of talent (and probably conditioning). All in all, not a bad performance, but it's Guyana, so we weren't going to find out much from this match. Won by a convincing margin, that's pretty much all that could be asked at this point.

Yup like I said the jury is still out. Lot of work to do for Berhalter with the mess he was left. With that being said have to start somewhere and with that in mind a positive result you can build on. I think winning the GC maybe a tall order but it can only help us with the experience this young team is getting for WC qualifying

Last edited:
I'm not going to hold the lack of a real coaching search by the top brass in US soccer against Berhalter, so I'm in a wait and see. He was by no means the best candidate out there, though. My expectations for the USMNT are super-super low going into the 2022 WC qualifying cycle, so if he gets the USMNT qualified for the 2022 WC, I'll be happy.

Yup I agree for the most part. On paper and experience wise he was not the best candidate without a doubt. I am hopeful he proves to be.

We talked quite a bit in other threads as you already know how US Soccer messed this whole thing up and replacing Gulati who started this whole mess with his Deputy was and is a joke too. Gulati after all of this is still connected with the federation and was on the sideline at the U 20 WC. That needs to end immediately

As I said in another thread Berhalter got handed a huge mess so I do not blame him in the least. Like you I am hoping he gets it figured out and we qualify for the 2022 WC. Which under the present circumstances will not be easy. As we all pretty much agree when Klinsman was fired they should have cleaned house from top to bottom which they failed to do and left the men's team in disarray through lack of any action what so ever.

Time will tell if Berhalter is the right guy but he deserves a chance. He has a lot on his plate and it will not be easy.

Last edited:
USA v T&T coming up

Talking about how not qualifying for the last WC was a real set back for US Soccer. Also from a financial standpoint a huge set back too

Pulisic trying to assert himself, great couple of plays by him to get the yellow then set up the goal. Now seeing more control from the midfield putting more pressure on the TnT defense

Need to see better passing and better midfield possession, seeing flashes of what this team can do, but also seeing some concerns with the long balls out of the back and lack of midfield possession

Yeah that was not a good half by the USA to say the least. This team has a long way to go with that being said need a win tonight ugly or not

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back