• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 B1G Media Days

I’m using this to predict the BiG finish. What kind of hell are you in if you have to listen to Fleck speak 10x as long as Frost?
:Speechless:

I don't mind PJ as much as a lot of people, apparently. I like his positive attitude, though he is way over the top with everything. That said, I didn't see the need to listen to his speech.

Harbaugh and Ash, on the other hand, are just painful to listen to. I'd rather pull my fingernails out with a pair of pliers than listen to an interview with those guys. I used to think Harbaugh was interesting; now I think he's had a few too many concussions.

Finishing 10th is about where I think they end up.
Would you care to make a wager on that? I don't gamble for cash anymore, but I like the idea of backing up your predictions with something, anything. I'm open to suggestions, but I kind of like the idea of you wearing some sort of Row the Boat gear if you're wrong. You've turned me into a Gophers/Fleck defender, so why not make YOU pay for it by wearing his stuff?

I don't mind PJ as much as a lot of people, apparently. I like his positive attitude, though he is way over the top with everything. That said, I didn't see the need to listen to his speech.

Harbaugh and Ash, on the other hand, are just painful to listen to. I'd rather pull my fingernails out with a pair of pliers than listen to an interview with those guys. I used to think Harbaugh was interesting; now I think he's had a few too many concussions.
I think that I might start a new thread on the topic of which coaches are interesting, and which ones put me to sleep (literally). Fleck is definitely one of the better speakers. Chryst, Day, and Harbaugh? Not so much. Harbaugh is interesting only to the extent that he's so odd when he's up there. I honestly can't tell if he's purposefully giving smug or obscurantist answers to try and needle the media, or if he's just living in La-la Land. Based on his past comments on the dangers of eating chicken, I'm increasingly leaning towards the latter.

My #1 criticism of Fleck is that--based on the rumors at Western Michigan--he's a fraud as far as ethics, morals, and being a role model. He supposedly was banging a booster/booster's wife (I'm not sure who in that marriage had the cash?), yet he bald-facedly speaks about developing the "spiritual" aspect of his players' lives. He's got the scent of the snake-oil salesman about him, and I hate it. The #2 criticism, which would be enough by itself (fwiw), is that he doesn't seem to have much loyalty to his assistant coaches as he has discarded them along the way as he's been promoted.

On the other hand, anyone who can't acknowledge that the guy can coach football is lying to themselves. He also seems to be a top-notch recruiter. Whether you like listening to him talk or not, he has very charming qualities when dealing with the press. He hands out compliments freely--including to Frost and Nebraska--and that part always comes across as sincere. He's quite polished as a public speaker/interviewee. Watch him and Chryst, back to back, and tell me which guy you'd rather have a beer with. Back to that first hand, I could probably trust Chryst to not try hitting on my wife though.

I dislike PJ Fleck intensely. i hope they go 0-12
They return all but one stud LB on defense and all but a couple of mediocre O-linemen on offense, so I don't think that that's going to happen. He said in his interview that last year they had the youngest team in college football, and at one point they were starting 8 freshmen on offense. He says that 80% of his roster is freshmen and sophomores. Minnesota is going to be improving for as long as Fleck stays there. The big question is how long will that be?

Would you care to make a wager on that? I don't gamble for cash anymore, but I like the idea of backing up your predictions with something, anything. I'm open to suggestions, but I kind of like the idea of you wearing some sort of Row the Boat gear if you're wrong. You've turned me into a Gophers/Fleck defender, so why not make YOU pay for it by wearing his stuff?
If I am ever wearing row the boat gear call the police because someone is holding my family hostage.

They return all but one stud LB on defense and all but a couple of mediocre O-linemen on offense, so I don't think that that's going to happen. He said in his interview that last year they had the youngest team in college football, and at one point they were starting 8 freshmen on offense. He says that 80% of his roster is freshmen and sophomores. Minnesota is going to be improving for as long as Fleck stays there. The big question is how long will that be?

Agree with the bold. I don't know this to be a fact, but I've heard that UNC talked with him but the totality of what he was asking for was more than they were willing to commit to.

I think that I might start a new thread on the topic of which coaches are interesting, and which ones put me to sleep (literally). Fleck is definitely one of the better speakers. Chryst, Day, and Harbaugh? Not so much. Harbaugh is interesting only to the extent that he's so odd when he's up there. I honestly can't tell if he's purposefully giving smug or obscurantist answers to try and needle the media, or if he's just living in La-la Land. Based on his past comments on the dangers of eating chicken, I'm increasingly leaning towards the latter.

My #1 criticism of Fleck is that--based on the rumors at Western Michigan--he's a fraud as far as ethics, morals, and being a role model. He supposedly was banging a booster/booster's wife (I'm not sure who in that marriage had the cash?), yet he bald-facedly speaks about developing the "spiritual" aspect of his players' lives. He's got the scent of the snake-oil salesman about him, and I hate it. The #2 criticism, which would be enough by itself (fwiw), is that he doesn't seem to have much loyalty to his assistant coaches as he has discarded them along the way as he's been promoted.

On the other hand, anyone who can't acknowledge that the guy can coach football is lying to themselves. He also seems to be a top-notch recruiter. Whether you like listening to him talk or not, he has very charming qualities when dealing with the press. He hands out compliments freely--including to Frost and Nebraska--and that part always comes across as sincere. He's quite polished as a public speaker/interviewee. Watch him and Chryst, back to back, and tell me which guy you'd rather have a beer with. Back to that first hand, I could probably trust Chryst to not try hitting on my wife though.
Agree. Good coach, not a fan of his personal life. My son went to one of his camps at WMU. Great energy but a bit over the top. Combine the row the boat with personal side, feels a bit non genuine. He gets results though, but so does Nick Satan.

Put your avatars up for a month .. winner gets to make the loser use an avatar of the winners choice.

Here are a couple of polls for you to choose who was the most boring B1G West coach at Media Days as well as most boring B1G East coach. If there's enough interest, I'll take the top finishes and have them go head to head for most boring overall. Also, fwiw, I included each coach's introduction speech and BTN interview in comments below the poll so you can find them all easier.

I don't mind PJ as much as a lot of people, apparently. I like his positive attitude, though he is way over the top with everything.

I don't pay enough attention to him to have an opinion either. However, I did see the beginning of his speech at B1G Media days, and "over the top" is definitely his way of making points. The problem is that when you do that too much, people may start questioning the reason why.

In his speech, Fleck kept saying "we were the youngest team in America" last year, and then repeating "as the youngest team in America" (this year), blah blah blah. I would guess he's saying that to temper expectations.

Dabo is a salesman-type too, but he doesn't feel the need to downgrade expectations based on his teams youth:

Defending national champion Clemson played more first-year players than any team in college football last fall, including nine true freshmen who appeared in both College Football Playoff games for a total of 308 snaps.

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...football-freshmen-2019-133718787/#133718787_1

I'd love to hear a reporter ask Fleck how Dabo was able to win a natty with a young team, and why he's stuck mid-pack in a B1G division if age of players is the critical difference...

Last edited:
I don't pay enough attention to him to have an opinion either. However, I did see the beginning of his speech at B1G Media days, and "over the top" is definitely his way of making points. The problem is that when you do that too much, people may start questioning the reason why.

In his speech, Fleck kept saying "we were the youngest team in America" last year, and then repeating "as the youngest team in America" (this year), blah blah blah. I would guess he's saying that to temper expectations.

Dabo is a salesman-type too, but he doesn't feel the need to downgrade expectations based on his teams youth:

I'd love to hear a reporter ask Fleck how Dabo was able to win a natty with a young team, and why he's stuck mid-pack in a B1G division if age of players is the critical difference...
The other incessant comment from PJ that got old was "year zero". As if his first year didn't count.

Why would that question even be relevant? Not all young teams are created equal. PJ is stuck in the mid-pack because Dabo has 4 and 5 star young players and Fleck has 2 and 3 star young players.

Personality-wise, I think that Dabo and Fleck have a lot in common. The difference is character. Dabo seems to be a man of integrity and loyalty. Fleck? Not so much.

Yeah...he better win or folks at Minnie will kick him and his BS machine right out the door.

First, I do think that he's going to continue to win more, but second, do you really think that Minnesota is/would be quick to fire him? For the past several decades they have had a history of hanging onto head coaches who were very mediocre as far as results. They've had 10 head coaches and an interim coach since 1979, and only two of them finished with a winning record, and Tracy Claeys' record was the best of the bunch at 57.9%. If Fleck were able to go 10-3 this year (which is a stretch), he'd be the winningest coach at Minnesota since Bernie Bierman was winning NCs at Minnesota in the 50s. It's not a high bar to clear. Quite bluntly, if he avoids controversy like what sank Claeys, all he has to do is have a .500 record from this point forward to stay as long as he wants. Glen Mason did that for 10 years, and he's arguably thought of as the best coach that they've had in my lifetime.

Personality-wise, I think that Dabo and Fleck have a lot in common. The difference is character. Dabo seems to be a man of integrity and loyalty. Fleck? Not so much.

First, I do think that he's going to continue to win more, but second, do you really think that Minnesota is/would be quick to fire him? For the past several decades they have had a history of hanging onto head coaches who were very mediocre as far as results. They've had 10 head coaches and an interim coach since 1979, and only two of them finished with a winning record, and Tracy Claeys' record was the best of the bunch at 57.9%. If Fleck were able to go 10-3 this year (which is a stretch), he'd be the winningest coach at Minnesota since Bernie Bierman was winning NCs at Minnesota in the 50s. It's not a high bar to clear. Quite bluntly, if he avoids controversy like what sank Claeys, all he has to do is have a .500 record from this point forward to stay as long as he wants. Glen Mason did that for 10 years, and he's arguably thought of as the best coach that they've had in my lifetime.

Coach I just think he may have a shorter leash due to personality and off field shenanigans. That doesn’t mean a “quick” dump from the boat. He does seem to be assembling some decent talent.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back