• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 Recruiting Class

Interesting site. Looks like the SEC is able to recruit 2x the number or players as the Big10

Interesting site. Looks like the SEC is able to recruit 2x the number or players as the Big10
Correct. I wouldn't pay attention to what ranking Big Ten teams have for recruiting classes. As I stated in another thread, Arkansas has recruited 74 people the last 4 years and Nebraska has recruited 32. It just isn't fair. You have to do that if you are recruiting high school kids that can be drafted. That being said, we should always have one of the top BigTen classes.

Last edited:
Correct. As I stated in another thread, Arkansas has recruited 74 people the last 4 years and Nebraska has recruited 32. It just isn't fair. You have to do that if you are recruiting high school kids that can be drafted.

I agree, that definetly needs to change.

http://www.maxpreps.com/list/stat_leaders.aspx?gendersport=boys,baseball&state=ne

MaxPreps has all our Nebr. 2018 recruits ranked in the top 5 for the state [Spring 2018] of Nebr. Most notably Perry, Gomes, Schanaman, Gilin. I couldn't find any of our out of state recruits that were ranked in their state by MaxPreps [so far].

https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/CollegeCommits.aspx?ID=1799&g=2018

Last edited:

http://www.maxpreps.com/list/stat_leaders.aspx?gendersport=boys,baseball&state=ne

MaxPreps has all our Nebr. 2018 recruits ranked in the top 5 for the state [Spring 2018] of Nebr. Most notably Perry, Gomes, Schanaman, Gilin. I couldn't find any of our out of state recruits that were ranked in their state by MaxPreps [so far].

https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/CollegeCommits.aspx?ID=1799&g=2018
We have an unbelievable pitching class coming in, but it could get ravaged by the draft. When you got high school kids throwing 92-95 mph, it gets scouts attention. Erstad did what everyone wanted to in 2018, not let the best kids leave the state. But this could come back to bite us.

Looks like the MLB draft isn't going to hurt our incoming recruiting class.

*** any chance you could update with what we currently have slated to come in next year?

Thanks.

Looks like the MLB draft isn't going to hurt our incoming recruiting class.

*** any chance you could update with what we currently have slated to come in next year?

Thanks.
Ya, our two pitchers taken in the draft said they are still coming to school so that’s good news. I’ll do a final list and see if I can dig up some stats.

Incoming 2018 Recruits:
Bo Blessie RHP (Midland, Texas) - 93 mph fastball, drafted 36th round by Nationals

Colby Gomes RHP (Millard West) - 95 mph fastball, 7-0 with a 1.06 ERA, 68 Ks in 53 IP

Brett Hammit INF (Nixa, Missouri) - Conference Player of the year (same conference as Tyler Martin), chose Nebraska over Arkansas. .446 avg. 6 HRs, 12 SBs.

Spencer Schwellenbach RHP (Saginaw, MI) - 94 mph fastball, drafted 34th round by Indians. Michigan Baseball Player of the Year. 4-2 record, .60 ERA, 53 Ks in 35 IPs.
https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/poy/assets/writable/49823/2018_BB_SSchwellenbach.pdf

Cameron Chick C (Columbia, MO) - Can't find much on his stats. Same with Gunner Hellstrom last year and he hit over .310 as a freshman so let's hope that happens.

Tyler Martin LHP (Webb City, MO) - Conference Pitcher of the Year (same conference as Brett Hammit). 8-0 with a 1.26 ERA and 73 K's

Drew Gilin Utility (Millard South) - .341 avg with 4 HRs and 1st team all-state

Kyle Perry LHP (Millard South) - 5-2 with 1.56 ERA, 79 Ks in 45 IPs (was 10-0 last year with a .47 ERA). Nebraska high school athlete of the year.

Shay Schanaman RHP (Grand Island) - Not sure if he will hit or pitch

Caleb Feekin LHP (Papillion La-Vista) - Can't find a ton on him

Aaron Palensky OF (Beatrice JUCO) - .417 avg with 77 RBI and 72 Runs, 18 HRs and 24 SBs

GET BACK FROM INJURY:
Chad Luensmann RHP
Reece Eddins RHP
Robbie Palkert RHP
Connor Curry LHP
Jake McSteen LHP

Our pitching is going to be deeeeeep which is crazy to say losing two weekend starters and your closer. If these five come back in form, with our 2018 class, and guys coming back, Silva is going to have to carry us. And he should be able to. No excuses.

Potential Lineup

LF - Hagge .275
SS - Altavilla (will he be .316 from sophomore year or .228 like junior year)
C - Helstrom .310
1B - Roskam .269
RF - Palensky (.417 JUCO)
CF - Hallmark .261
3B - Hammit (freshman)
2B - Luckey .255

I've seen worse. If we had Wilkening back I would be damn excited. We will see if Helstrom can get the pitchers up to speed.

Incoming 2018 Recruits:
Bo Blessie RHP (Midland, Texas) - 93 mph fastball, drafted 36th round by Nationals

Colby Gomes RHP (Millard West) - 95 mph fastball, 7-0 with a 1.06 ERA, 68 Ks in 53 IP

Brett Hammit INF (Nixa, Missouri) - Conference Player of the year (same conference as Tyler Martin), chose Nebraska over Arkansas. .446 avg. 6 HRs, 12 SBs.

Spencer Schwellenbach RHP (Saginaw, MI) - 94 mph fastball, drafted 34th round by Indians. Michigan Baseball Player of the Year. 4-2 record, .60 ERA, 53 Ks in 35 IPs.
https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/poy/assets/writable/49823/2018_BB_SSchwellenbach.pdf

Cameron Chick C (Columbia, MO) - Can't find much on his stats. Same with Gunner Hellstrom last year and he hit over .310 as a freshman so let's hope that happens.

Tyler Martin LHP (Webb City, MO) - Conference Pitcher of the Year (same conference as Brett Hammit). 8-0 with a 1.26 ERA and 73 K's

Drew Gilin Utility (Millard South) - .341 avg with 4 HRs and 1st team all-state

Kyle Perry LHP (Millard South) - 5-2 with 1.56 ERA, 79 Ks in 45 IPs (was 10-0 last year with a .47 ERA). Nebraska high school athlete of the year.

Shay Schanaman RHP (Grand Island) - Not sure if he will hit or pitch

Caleb Feekin LHP (Papillion La-Vista) - Can't find a ton on him

Aaron Palensky OF (Beatrice JUCO) - .417 avg with 77 RBI and 72 Runs, 18 HRs and 24 SBs

GET BACK FROM INJURY:
Chad Luensmann RHP
Reece Eddins RHP
Robbie Palkert RHP
Connor Curry LHP
Jake McSteen LHP

Our pitching is going to be deeeeeep which is crazy to say losing two weekend starters and your closer. If these five come back in form, with our 2018 class, and guys coming back, Silva is going to have to carry us. And he should be able to. No excuses.

Potential Lineup

LF - Hagge .275
SS - Altavilla (will he be .316 from sophomore year or .228 like junior year)
C - Helstrom .310
1B - Roskam .269
RF - Palensky (.417 JUCO)
CF - Hallmark .261
3B - Hammit (freshman)
2B - Luckey .255

I've seen worse. If we had Wilkening back I would be damn excited. We will see if Helstrom can get the pitchers up to speed.

Hammit is going to make a lot of people frustrated his first year or two. He will strike out a lot, but if he can shorten up a hair, he will be really excitign as a junior. Dude does not get cheated. Lol.

April 12, 2016:

I like this kid. Watch him throw. See how his right foot "replaces" his left foot? Really well done. I"d like to see him throw on some pitches that are on the outer half.

Good swing. Big kid. We'll see how he develops. Much better film than the '16 catcher.

I've been high on the Helstrom kid from day one. The only Wilkening pain is losing his bat. We'll be fine behind the plate.

April 12, 2016:

I've been high on the Helstrom kid from day one. The only Wilkening pain is losing his bat. We'll be fine behind the plate.
Hope you're right and it was just freshman stuff with Helstrom, there was certainly a noticeable difference when Wilkening had the injury. Hohensee was very frustrated.

On a brighter note, I said in the other thread that it appears Gomes told scouts he was signing with Nebraska after he got his 5-10 round grade. 3 high school guys drafted in our recruiting class is really good.

Reading another board... they say our recruit from Grand Island may be our best defender coming in and can really hit. I never got to see him this year, but that's welcome news for sure. They think he will compete for time on weekends first year.

So you have to pencil in Waldron as a weekend starter. You then had Frazier who had a 1.72 ERA in 2017, McSteen 2.04 ERA in 2017, Palkert 2.61 ERA in 2017, and Luensmann who had a 1.18 ERA in 2016 with 13 saves. Gomes, Perry, and Blessie will all compete for a weekend rotation spot.

I'll also call right now that we will have to shut Blessie down with an arm issue, and people will be mad at Silva but I don't really think it's his fault.

Our recruit from MIchigan only threw 35 innings this spring, that's really good for a high school kid. Most coaches that have a player that will get drafted just destroy their arms.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back