• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2017 Stanley Cup Playoff Thread

I didn't get a chance to get on here much througout the series, but at least we can give some love to the Nebraska born-UNO boy Jake Gunzel. Led the Pens in scoring with 13 goals and 21 points (tied for most ever by a rookie in a post season).
http://www.startribune.com/in-woodbury-jake-guentzel-is-one-popular-cookie/427854863/

That entire playoff run was brutal for Pittsburgh. Got to be the toughest sport to win a championship.
Geuntzel was a key for the Penguins. Lots of goals when the team needed something.

Last edited:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...up-finals-winners-losers-stanley-cup-playoffs

If you read the comments at the bottom it talks about how Fleury waived his no movement clause back in February in preparation for the expansion draft. Couple comments seem to think he will end up in Vegas. Vegas will become my second favorite team if that happens..

Not a chance he stays there if they take him in the expansion draft. They would trade him for draft picks and/or young prospects.

If Pittsburgh is smart they trade him for the same.

Not a chance he stays there if they take him in the expansion draft. They would trade him for draft picks and/or young prospects.

If Pittsburgh is smart they trade him for the same.
Absolutely trade him but I believe they may not have a choice. It makes sense he ends up in Vegas.

Absolutely trade him but I believe they may not have a choice. It makes sense he ends up in Vegas.

Poorly handled by Pittsburgh. Letting him go to Vegas getting nothing in return is not good. Oh they have choices. They were blessed he was and is a class guy the way they treated him the past 18 months.

Last edited:
Poorly handled by Pittsburgh. Letting him go to Vegas getting nothing in return is not good. Oh they have choices. They were blessed he was and is a class guy the way they treated him the past 18 months.

I guess by no choice, here is the following rules for the expansion draft.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Pittsburgh can only protect one goalie and if Fleury would not have waved his 'no movement' clause it would have had to be him, or he would have had to been traded a long time ago (I believe). This is just one of those 'what do you do' moments. Your present goalie just won back to back Stanley Cups as a rookie, he is not going anywhere. It's possible Vegas doesn't select him but I wouldn't hold my breath. Mario has done a wonderful job with this franchise I feel it is hard to be real upset with him after what Pittsburgh has done the last several years, I guess I don't know what else they could have done.

I didn't get a chance to get on here much througout the series, but at least we can give some love to the Nebraska born-UNO boy Jake Gunzel. Led the Pens in scoring with 13 goals and 21 points (tied for most ever by a rookie in a post season).
http://www.startribune.com/in-woodbury-jake-guentzel-is-one-popular-cookie/427854863/

That entire playoff run was brutal for Pittsburgh. Got to be the toughest sport to win a championship.
I got to know his Dad when he coached the Omaha Lancers!

I standby what I wrote poorly handled and they loose as much as Fleury

Pittsburgh Penguins

Notable Free Agents: C Nick Bonino, LW Chris Kunitz, LW Conor Sheary (RFA), D Trevor Daley, D Brian Dumoulin (RFA), D Justin Schultz (RFA)

Needs: Between retaining free agents and adding talent, defense has to be the Penguins' primary focus. A healthy Kris Letang would go a long way toward that goal. Bringing back Bonino will help maintain their excellent depth up front.

Cap Space: $18.9 million

Big Moves So Far: They Penguins parted ways with goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who was drafted by the Golden Knights, freeing up considerable cap space. They also made a draft-day deal with the St. Louis Blues to bring in a burly enforcer, right winger Ryan Reaves.

So Pittsburgh let Fleury go to free up cap space. If you look above and see who some of the free agents were I can see why they felt cap space was more important than trading him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back