• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2017 Big Ten Baseball Tournament Bracket

Apologize for replying to myself here, but looks like Hohensee will get the nod on Wednesday and Burkamper on Thursday. If we win both of those I imagine the ball goes to Frazier to save Meyers for a possible championship game. That's two straight weeks with one days rest as the weekend rotation normally has had, and we all saw how Hohensee lacked sharpness (not sure I phrased that right) last week on short rest. Really left balls elevated and in turn came out of the game quicker than normal. Luckily we have Waldron back after being shut down for close to a month.

Two schools of thought:

1) In tournament play, you only worry about the game immediately in front of you. That means, in game 1, you go with your #1. Win that, and move on. Then go with your next best available. Win that, and move on.
2) Match up your pitchers to your competition. If you win, you look like a genius. If you lose, you're an idiot. A major idiot.

I lean towards number 1.

That being said, I don't have access to the scouting reports. Maybe the coaching staff sees the matchups and likes where they are at with the particular pitchers. I'll defer to them; they are the B1G champions.

Two schools of thought:

1) In tournament play, you only worry about the game immediately in front of you. That means, in game 1, you go with your #1. Win that, and move on. Then go with your next best available. Win that, and move on.
2) Match up your pitchers to your competition. If you win, you look like a genius. If you lose, you're an idiot. A major idiot.

I lean towards number 1.

That being said, I don't have access to the scouting reports. Maybe the coaching staff sees the matchups and likes where they are at with the particular pitchers. I'll defer to them; they are the B1G champions.
Agree but not sure you treat the Big 10 tournament the same as the national tournament when you're already a lock to be in the national tournament.

Apologize for replying to myself here, but looks like Hohensee will get the nod on Wednesday and Burkamper on Thursday. If we win both of those I imagine the ball goes to Frazier to save Meyers for a possible championship game. That's two straight weeks with one days rest as the weekend rotation normally has had, and we all saw how Hohensee lacked sharpness (not sure I phrased that right) last week on short rest. Really left balls elevated and in turn came out of the game quicker than normal. Luckily we have Waldron back after being shut down for close to a month.

Have to assume Waldron would be the 4th starter over Frazier, unless he was needed in extended relief before we got to that point.

Agree but not sure you treat the Big 10 tournament the same as the national tournament when you're already a lock to be in the national tournament.

The distinction I draw is that I think we have an outside chance at hosting a regional if we show well; if things go badly, we could drop to a 3.

Two schools of thought:

I lean towards number 1.

I think you absolutely go with your best guy, just keep winning, don't take anything for granted. What comes into play for me is the question "is Hohensee your best right now"? Ethan Frazier has been lights out. Burkamper has rattled off 4 wins in a row. And Meyers is Meyers. But you aren't moving up Burkamper or Meyers to Wednesday obviously.

Like you said, i'm deferring to Erstad and Silva and think Hohensee is the right call. Win Wednesday and Thursday is all we should be worried about, which is a tall task.

The distinction I draw is that I think we have an outside chance at hosting a regional if we show well; if things go badly, we could drop to a 3.

Also to echo what *** said in #21, NU isn't good enough to get cute with its pitchers. With a shot at a regional host and needing to keep momentum, they need to go deep in the Big10 tournament and stay hot. Going 0-2 or 1-2 would be bad for the following week, even if they'd hang on to a 2-seed. Matchups can play a part in the decision, but only if you're concerned that Hohensee won't be at full strength come Wednesday.

I liked it a lot better when they projected us in the Stanford regional.
So much will change with conference tournaments... surprise auto bids, people on the bubble going 2 and out. Those projections are kind of useless since it's not like bowls where it's just slotted based on conference.

Warren nolan brackets May 23:
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/projection

1) Michigan :Rolf:
2) NU
2) UI
3) Maryland

They have NU back in Corvallis:

1) OSU
2) NU
3) Gonzaga
4) Yale

If the season ended today, yes, I could see Michigan as a possible one-seed (or at least getting the nod over Nebraska). Personally, I don't think either is one-seed worthy at this point. Michigan does have the advantage of a better RPI and a huge sweep over Oklahoma.

Regardless, as *** mentioned, a lot will change between now and Sunday.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back