• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2016 Recruiting Class

Great to hear on Curry, we are going to need him, even if he gets his fastball up to 87/88 that is great with his left-handed arm.

I've never gotten excited about left hander velocity. I've repeatedly seen soft throwing lefties spin teams that have studs into the ground. They stay soft away and nibble nibble nibble. All game long. Infuriating for hitters.

I just went and looked at Hutch's website and stats. I'd offer their top 4 hitters today. If the Lincoln kids you are talking about are Helman, leading the team with a .390 avg and 13 for 13 on stolen bases, and Hoffman, who is 4-1 with a 1.52 in the Jayhawk leagu,e are the guys we let get out of Lincoln, we have some roster management problems. Those kids are both worth $500.
Hellman is the one from Pius I was talking about for sure. Hutch is after a senior at Northeast that Erstad asked to walk on.

I think if we keep in-state talent around we would be in good shape.

Just saw Nolan Hoffman from Lincoln Southeast is pitching down at Hutch and his stats are as follows:

5-1
52 Ks in 48 innings
13 BBs
3 CGs

With our pitching woes that is intriguing to me since i'm pretty sure he was NCAA eligible out of high school.

I probably have said this before, but if I haven't, NU needs to watch the Eden Prairie MN area closely, I have a high school buddy up there and they take baseball about as seriously as we do football. A lot of well coached talent up there.

I probably have said this before, but if I haven't, NU needs to watch the Eden Prairie MN area closely, I have a high school buddy up there and they take baseball about as seriously as we do football. A lot of well coached talent up there.

All of Minnesota has sneaky good players. Same with South Dakota.

Just saw Nolan Hoffman from Lincoln Southeast is pitching down at Hutch and his stats are as follows:

5-1
52 Ks in 48 innings
13 BBs
3 CGs

With our pitching woes that is intriguing to me since i'm pretty sure he was NCAA eligible out of high school.

Especially when compared to the Ryan Connolly commit....

At DONU Connolly rides pine....
At the arguably #2 juco conference in the nation, the Lincoln kid goes 5-1 with 52 K's and 3 complete games? C'mon man.....

I get one is right handed (hoffman) and one is left handed(Connolly) but seriously, a garbage lefty over a solid righty? No way....

Full disclosure: Erstad was close to a hall of fame baseball player. No arguing that. His accomplishments can tell my eye to piss off anyday. But, the fact remains that I know this game. Anyone wants to join me for a game anytime, I'll tell you what happens before it happens and I'll be right conservatively 75% of the time. Based on the evidence, I can't figure out why DONU doesn't clean up the top Jayhawk League players every year. We have 6-10 D1 guys in Omaha every year. 4-8 in Lincoln. 1-3 in out state. And yet they don't end up on the roster. All those dudes want is some attention and a pair of batting gloves. Playing in Haymarket is ridiculous. I played there in front of a sold out college crowed and a sold out professional crowd. It was stupid awesome both times. It sucked having the town I grew up in root against me, but man was it fun. EVERY kid in Nebraska would jump on a DONU offer. $500 is all it takes. If Erstad can't lock up 10 in state kids per year with $2,500, we got problems and we're never getting back to Omaha.

Basil, I don't think you are far off at all...

My main frustration with this current staff is that they aren't doing well locally recruiting. Like you said, Erstad can tell me to go pound sand with his resume, but I think they work a lot harder recruiting than they have to. You look at the two best players in-state this year, one is heading to Texas A&M and the other is heading to Arkansas. Nebraska has 3 in-state commits for the 2016, 2017, and 2018 cycles. The 2018 kid hadn't even played varsity yet and we offered. Connor Curry last year I had a few coach friends that could argue he was their third best pitcher on their team because Hoffman was there and they still have a righty that is pretty solid. You could also argue that Jayhawk league is pretty similar to the B1G, there's some teams that would beat Northwestern pretty consistently down there, and Hoffman heads down there and is 5-1 with a 5:1 K to walk ratio. Hoffman had great grades and i'm 99% sure he would have walked on if Erstad asked him to, the kid LOVES the Huskers. But we offer Curry and Young in-state because they are left-handed arms, I get it but I don't. This current year, Nebraska asked a kid from Lincoln Northeast to walk-on who throws about 90mph from the mound already. Hutch told him to come down for a year and tehy would turn that in to an SEC offer. He had 4 doubles and 7 RBIs the other day from the plate. You think of Schleppenbach and I get that he is struggling this year but had to go to Hutch before coming up and hitting .300 for us his first year here and is solid in the field. Meyers is a staple for us, Placzek, etc. Hellman is down at Hutch tearing it up from Pius in his first year. We already discussed Hoffman from Lincoln Southeast.

Now this is a tough conversation because I think you absolutely have to go get the studs like Wilkening and Boldt and pay them that 80%. Schreiber is mashing the ball, Miller is a staple, Reveles is a leader, Alvarado has been a great addition, and so on. But Waldron as a true freshman is arguably our most consistent pitcher with only 6 walks on the season and they had to go 45 miles to recruit him from Omaha Westside. And to be honest my buddy that coaches is steering the one kid towards the Big12 or SEC because he never hears from the Nebraska staff. Our best year we ever had was when we had two local kids as our 1/2 pitchers. Joba and Dorn were beasts, and I get that you have to have that talent laying around. You have a kid from Millard West that went to Iowa Western and is now playing for 22-7 TCU and had their game winning hit the other day.

I think they could solve a lot of problems and have extremely peak interest doing more local recruiting and have similar if not better results.

Last edited:

My main frustration with this current staff is that they aren't doing well locally recruiting. Like you said, Erstad can tell me to go pound sand with his resume, but I think they work a lot harder recruiting than they have to. You look at the two best players in-state this year, one is heading to Texas A&M and the other is heading to Arkansas. Nebraska has 3 in-state commits for the 2016, 2017, and 2018 cycles. The 2018 kid hadn't even played varsity yet and we offered. Connor Curry last year I had a few coach friends that could argue he was their third best pitcher on their team because Hoffman was there and they still have a righty that is pretty solid. You could also argue that Jayhawk league is pretty similar to the B1G, there's some teams that would beat Northwestern pretty consistently down there, and Hoffman heads down there and is 5-1 with a 5:1 K to walk ratio. Hoffman had great grades and i'm 99% sure he would have walked on if Erstad asked him to, the kid LOVES the Huskers. But we offer Curry and Young in-state because they are left-handed arms, I get it but I don't. This current year, Nebraska asked a kid from Lincoln Northeast to walk-on who throws about 90mph from the mound already. Hutch told him to come down for a year and tehy would turn that in to an SEC offer. He had 4 doubles and 7 RBIs the other day from the plate. You think of Schleppenbach and I get that he is struggling this year but had to go to Hutch before coming up and hitting .300 for us his first year here and is solid in the field. Meyers is a staple for us, Placzek, etc. Hellman is down at Hutch tearing it up from Pius in his first year. We already discussed Hoffman from Lincoln Southeast.

Now this is a tough conversation because I think you absolutely have to go get the studs like Wilkening and Boldt and pay them that 80%. Schreiber is mashing the ball, Miller is a staple, Reveles is a leader, Alvarado has been a great addition, and so on. But Waldron as a true freshman is arguably our most consistent pitcher with only 6 walks on the season and they had to go 45 miles to recruit him from Omaha Westside. And to be honest my buddy that coaches is steering the one kid towards the Big12 or SEC because he never hears from the Nebraska staff. Our best year we ever had was when we had two local kids as our 1/2 pitchers. Joba and Dorn were beasts, and I get that you have to have that talent laying around. You have a kid from Millard West that went to Iowa Western and is now playing for 22-7 TCU and had their game winning hit the other day.

I think they could solve a lot of problems and have extremely peak interest doing more local recruiting and have similar if not better results.

I don't have the focus for a full post, but my thoughts:

1) Foster was going to A & M no matter what. I believe, on strong authority, it was because of family respect for Childress dating back to a family connection that pitched for Childress at UNL.
2) I agree you have to get studs from wherever you can find them: Ken Harvey, drunken Dan Johnson, shady Matt Hopper, John Cole, Adam Shabala, Shane Komine, Will Bolt, Jamal Strong, those dudes you to find and fill in. You build depth $500 bucks at a time with the 20 D1 prospects that are low hanging fruit in Omaha, Lincoln, and the Jayhawk league.
3) Northwestern finishes 4th in the Jayhawk league in a good year...for Northwestern.
4) I've said it before and I'll say it again: UNL Coaches should be embedded with the Lincoln Rebels, Omaha Gladiators, etc. Yet another example: Sam Tewes. Kid was a stud at 9 years old. He had D1 written all over him then. Now he is at Wichita St.
5) Bob Herald cleans up with Nebraska kids and the Jayhawk league...and they don't even having a freaking stadium. A D1 baseball program, that plays at freaking boys town, which is a step down from Den Hartog. No locker room. No hitting facilities...give me a break.
6) I lived the years of Johnny Red thinking that Nebraska kids had nothing...so he brought in Cali juco second tier players. And they sucked. DVH gets here and starts brinign in the locals and cherry picking studs...bam. CWS. It's not a mystery here, folks.

Mojo Hagge from Omaha Skutt is walking on to the team as an outfielder. Hit .444 as a junior. He is only 5'8" but I believe with the departure of Dilday it opened up a spot for him. Don't be surprised to see a couple other names show up for 2016-17 season as we have some scholarship room.

Agree with you that we should keep our best instate players at NU unless that player wants to leave the state. But if that player has interest in NU then he should be offered in some way so he'll stay.

Mojo Hagge from Omaha Skutt is walking on to the team as an outfielder. Hit .444 as a junior. He is only 5'8" but I believe with the departure of Dilday it opened up a spot for him. Don't be surprised to see a couple other names show up for 2016-17 season as we have some scholarship room.

I watched Dilday play yesterday, not impressed at all. In fact, he sat today rather than starting at his current DII. I know he had the credentials coming out of high school, but he is now mired in DII baseball. We chase the high profile kid when we have Mojo Hagge for nothing.

I watched Dilday play yesterday, not impressed at all. In fact, he sat today rather than starting at his current DII. I know he had the credentials coming out of high school, but he is now mired in DII baseball. We chase the high profile kid when we have Mojo Hagge for nothing.
That's crazy to think about... I do think Dilday was a pretty good get, some guy that we probably should have went after. But to your point, just proves again we probably need to focus more on the state. Hagge was an after-thought and quite honestly a kid that saved us the first 10 games or so of the season to not being 2-8.

That's crazy to think about... I do think Dilday was a pretty good get, some guy that we probably should have went after. But to your point, just proves again we probably need to focus more on the state. Hagge was an after-thought and quite honestly a kid that saved us the first 10 games or so of the season to not being 2-8.

I agree that the accolades Dilday had during high school made him a no brainer prospect. You zeroed in on my point, though. Which I do beat like a dead horse on this forum, I know.

I was talking with a JUCO Head coach today, he was talking about when he was a JUCO player down South, they would play the northern JUCOs on their spring break trips and kick the snot out of them. They'd see them again in the JUCO world series and think they were going to roll, but end up getting beat because they didn't realize that the Northern JUCO's had only seen live pitching, once maybe twice during the first matchup, but once they got brought up to speed, they were legit.

Same principle with Nebraska, Minnesota, South Dakota, and North Dakota baseball Here comes that dead horse again...

UNL could build the B1G champion, every season, out of Millard High Schools, Papilion High Schools, Lincoln High Schools, pick up a few other players from the remaining players from the rest of Omaha, GI, Kearney, Wakefield, and the rest of out-state Nebraska. Spend your big scholarship dollars on studs from California or Texas, bam, making a move for the CWS every year.

Unfortunately, Bob, I walked away from the LSE opportunity ten years ago to go to law school.

A little late getting back to you on this: Hey, hope all is fine with you, becoming a lawyer. Not all people hate lawyers! ;)

Maybe, if not already, you can do volunteer coaching, right? I wish I had stuck with track and field, helping out whenever I could. Oh well! :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back