• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2016 KC Royals

Royals lead 2-0
Royals tied 2-2
Royals trail 4-2
Royals tied 4-4
Royals trail 7-4
Royals lose 7-6

Last edited:
Three years ago we were thrilled to last into September. Now it's a disappointment to be eliminated in the last week. Great to have a contending team, finally! Hopefully we'll send everyone out with a win tomorrow...and go Cubs in the postseason.

Royals lose 3-2.

Season is finally over.

Royals finish at exactly .500 (81W/81L)

Last edited:
Always hate the end of baseball, but glad that this year is over and the players get a break to hit reset! We were milling around the stadium after my daughter ran the bases and happened to be walking by player parking as the team was leaving. My daughter was able to get Drew Butera, Paulo Orlando, and Salvy to sign her hat. I've always felt Butera was a good dude and last night showed it, he stuck around to sign and made sure every kid got one. He was around there for a good 45 minutes and at one point was out of his car taking pictures with people.

You definitely see the best and worst in people in those situations, grown men who have no other intention but to put signed gear on eBay, etc. pushing in front of kids to get autographs. However, one of the guys opened a path for a lot of kids to get up to Salvy before he left which allowed my daughter to get an autograph. To me it was fun to stand back and watch the excitement from my daughter and the other kids and knowing at their age I would have done anything to be in their position.

Speaks a lot about how far this team has come over the past five years when an 81-win season feels like a disappointment. There were some wins left on the table, but the injuries, and probably fatigue of playing in back-to-back WS, caught up with the team this year. I've talked with some friends that are more baseball knowledgeable than I, and their feelings are to try and sign Hosmer to an extension this offseason. If that can't happen, I'm told it would be better to trade him before the start of the 2017 season. Same thing for a couple of other guys who have contracts up after 2017. Not sure how I feel about that. At this point, I'll trust Dayton Moore's decisions, but I don't like the idea of not trying to compete in 2017, because of what may happen in 2018. The Royals aren't some consistent contender that can assume it'll be back in the playoff hunt on a regular basis.

Speaks a lot about how far this team has come over the past five years when an 81-win season feels like a disappointment. There were some wins left on the table, but the injuries, and probably fatigue of playing in back-to-back WS, caught up with the team this year. I've talked with some friends that are more baseball knowledgeable than I, and their feelings are to try and sign Hosmer to an extension this offseason. If that can't happen, I'm told it would be better to trade him before the start of the 2017 season. Same thing for a couple of other guys who have contracts up after 2017. Not sure how I feel about that. At this point, I'll trust Dayton Moore's decisions, but I don't like the idea of not trying to compete in 2017, because of what may happen in 2018. The Royals aren't some consistent contender that can assume it'll be back in the playoff hunt on a regular basis.

Unfortunately with the Alex Gordon contract I think it's going to be impossible to get Hosmer or Moose to sign especially after hearing Dayton mention payroll will regress a bit in 2017. I hope that Alex has a better year next and beyond, I already hear from KC fans how that wasn't a good decision and the Husker fan in me does not want to believe it!

I'd rather see Davis stay and Gordo on the block. Mosquito mentioned it above and I was certainly guilty of looking at Gordon with scarlet & cream colored glasses after they won the series and were talking to him about a new deal. He didn't play well last year and I'm guessing is on the downhill slide. Get something for him now, lose the salary and keep Davis.
I think getting rid of Davis now might be the best chance to maximize his value. I think Herrera can close and potentially get Holland to come back and set up. Strahm was very good in relief as well although he might be a starter in the KC plans.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gordon had a bounce back year. Lets face it, very few Royals didn't have a down year with the bat.

I think getting rid of Davis now might be the best chance to maximize his value. I think Herrera can close and potentially get Holland to come back and set up. Strahm was very good in relief as well although he might be a starter in the KC plans.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gordon had a bounce back year. Lets face it, very few Royals didn't have a down year with the bat.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gordon bounces back either, but to what level I'm kind of wondering. Can't argue with that. Cain was one of the few who played the year before that had a decent year at the plate.

I like Herrera a lot and hope Holland can return and play a role, but I think to win next year Davis has to be in the mix. Long term, you may be right. My concern is the core of this team isn't going to be together for many more years and KC needs to strike while the iron's hot.

One year ago today.

rtx1uc3m.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back