• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2016 CWS

Nebugeater

Junior Varsity
20 Year Member
1620 the ZONE in Omaha just reported that the NCAA just passed a one year trial approval on selling Alcohol at Baseball and Softball Championship playoff games for this year. That means that you will be able to buy a beer at the CWS. As I heard it this is for the NCAA tourney level and not for Conference tourney but who knows for sure yet.

Wow. I'll be honest, I never thought I would see the day where the NCAA approved alcohol sales at its championship events. Sure, there's always been the "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it came to suites, but letting the regular folk in on the fun is something else. I'm sure this has to do with getting some $$$ from the beer companies.

Wow. I'll be honest, I never thought I would see the day where the NCAA approved alcohol sales at its championship events. Sure, there's always been the "don't ask, don't tell" policy when it came to suites, but letting the regular folk in on the fun is something else. I'm sure this has to do with getting some $$$ from the beer companies.

A bet it is more than "some" $$$$$
I also bet that the "one year trial" is just a smoke screen.

A bet it is more than "some" $$$$$
I also bet that the "one year trial" is just a smoke screen.

Alcohol has been openly available for purchase at the Club level for the last two years, with last year patrons able to take it to their seat in an unmarked cup.

Unless something weird happens, no doubt this is permanent. I doubt any drunken ruckus will happen.

fwiw, if you have stock in the Mattress Factory, or Baseball Village, I think it just took a hit...

http://www.omaha.com/sports/beer-wi...cle_1e3dc708-bfb5-11e5-945b-ff53ecc6de1b.html

Alcohol has been openly available for purchase at the Club level for the last two years, with last year patrons able to take it to their seat in an unmarked cup.

Unless something weird happens, no doubt this is permanent. I doubt any drunken ruckus will happen.

fwiw, if you have stock in the Mattress Factory, or Baseball Village, I think it just took a hit...

http://www.omaha.com/sports/beer-wi...cle_1e3dc708-bfb5-11e5-945b-ff53ecc6de1b.html

The establishments downtown will lose some business, sure, but I doubt it'll be anything significant. The beer inside the ballpark will be marked up considerably compared to what you can get at the bars. Plus, the CWS is a very family-oriented event. Lots of kids and teenagers. Maybe this will increase the attendance of adults, but it'll still be an event that draws families. I'm going to guess there are a lot of parents who take their kids to the CWS who avoid the drinking outside the stadium, but will enjoy a cold one once inside the stadium.

The establishments downtown will lose some business, sure, but I doubt it'll be anything significant. The beer inside the ballpark will be marked up considerably compared to what you can get at the bars. Plus, the CWS is a very family-oriented event. Lots of kids and teenagers. Maybe this will increase the attendance of adults, but it'll still be an event that draws families. I'm going to guess there are a lot of parents who take their kids to the CWS who avoid the drinking outside the stadium, but will enjoy a cold one once inside the stadium.

Actually the beer on the club level, which I assume will be the same price as the rest of the stadium (as the other concessions are), is about exactly what it is at Beer & Blatt and the Baseball Village, around $7 for 24 ounce can. Everywhere "marks up" beverages during the CWS.

I can't speak for how the rest of the stadium will be for beer sales, but as a club season ticket holder since the move downtown, this is what I've witnessed.

2011-13: No beer in stadium, no beer in club: Some Club seats vacated early in games, club bar area vacant too

2014: No beer in stadium, beer inside of club (no beer in club seats). Some club seats vacated early, club bar area PACKED before, during, and after games

2015: No beer in stadium, beer inside of club and in seats. Fewer club seats vacated early, club bar still packed before, during, and after games.

Point being, no doubt the area bars will still get their fair share, but for some, the days of going down early to whet your whistle at the local establisment are done. You can spend all your time at the stadium, for the same price. No need to jet out early from games to soak down more either, you can see the game live, not on the tv, and still get your fill...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back