• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2015 KC Royals

I was alive for the '85 championship, but not old enough to remember anything. Heck, I just have fleeting glimpses of the Royals teams of the late 80's. However, I do have lots of memories of the Royals after the 1994 strike, and many of them are not fond memories. I can still hear the PA announcer running through the starting lineups filled with AAAA baseball players. It seemed like Dee Brown and Shane Costa had infinite options. The anonymous Ewing Kauffman Estate ownership group. An anonymous and cheap (until recently) billionaire owner. $40mill payroll in 1994 (7th highest, 7mill behind NYY). $20mill payroll in 1996 (40mill behind NYY). The managers that came and went without anything significant to show. Bob Boone, Tony Muser, Buddy Bell, Trey Hillman. Watching a loaded 2000 Royals offense (a healthy Sweeney, Dye, Damon, young Beltran, .300 hitting Randa) limp to a 77-win season. Trading Dye for a bunch of nobodies. Local-boy Johnny Damon kicking the franchise to the curb. The terrible draft picks (Reichert, Austin, Snyder, Griffin, Lubanski, Campbell). Ambrioux Burgos as the closer. Watching Ken Harvey nearly decapitate Jeremy Affeldt. 83 wins in 2003. 104 losses in 2004. Juan Gonzalez, Benito Santiago, Chuck Knoblauch. 19-straight losses in 2005. Cheering on that losing streak, because if you're going to suck you may as well be the best sucking team ever. Going to Friday night games with maybe an attendance of 10,000 because you wanted to watch the other teams' star players. Ken Harvey, 2004 All-Star. Mark Redman, 2006 All-Star. Aaron Crow, 2011 All-Star. The perpetual five-year plan that always seemed to remain at five years. Free Kila. And I'm sure I'm leaving out lots and lots of other memorable players and moments.

All that crap made the past two seasons so much more enjoyable. Up until the second half of the 2013 season, I had pretty much given in to the idea that I'll likely never see the Royals be anywhere close to the best team in baseball. All I wanted was an accidental playoff berth, and maybe a home playoff win. That was it. If someone would have told me at this time three years ago that the Royals would be without a doubt the best team in Major League Baseball, I would have called that person an idiot. I can't remember how many games I went to over the years and thought to myself that I'll likely never see another World Series flag fly next to the 1985 flag in left field. It will be a great sight when I get to my first game next year and see that 2015 flag.

learn something new every day...i had no idea an AAAA league existed. :stickouttongue:

Just got voicemail that our daughter's school has cancelled class for all to enjoy the celebration tomorrow. This is starting to sink in, THE ROYALS won the FREAKING WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I remember the 1980 World Series as I was in Philly cheering for the Royals. I remember Schmidt and Brett dueling in KC. I remember Pete getting lucky and catching the deflection off of Bob Boone. But I never saw Willie Wilson strike out. I just heard the fireworks. Sigh....

I remember Saberhagen and Charlie Leibrandt dueling it out with John Tudor (I think?) and others. Jack Clark was on the Cards. He hit a bomb in Busch. And then the hot headed pitcher for StL losing his mind as well as the Coach (Herzog, no?) for the Cards. The Toronto series was epic as well.

2015 exorcised my 1980 memory and the years of futility and letting players walk. Worth every year. Makes me feel the same as I did at the 1995 Orange Bowl after all those near misses.

Thanks Royals for making me smile and feel good about sports again.

Has everyone seen the National Weather Service Radar from right after the game? IT shows the area around KC light up with Fireworks. Saw it linked to a FB update on my phone and I am not where I can link it right now. IF you haven't seen it go look for it.

Newspaper clip posted from Reddit.

kFsvht4.jpg

will gordon stay in kc or go elsewhere since he's a free agent now?
Doubtful. I love Gordo but I think he walks. Boras is a jerk. JMO. I think Zobrist is more important. I would not mind seeing a backup catcher who can hit in the clutch. No offense to Salvy, to me, Hosmer or Wade Davis deserved MVP. I would expect more than little dribblers and Texas Leaguers from a guy as big as Salvy. It got the job done this year. You must retain Escy and Zobrist. Let Rios walk. Maybe then they can make the numbers work for Gordon.

Last edited:
To Redo's post with the Greinke/Moore intercation (sorry, I didn't want to quote the post directly because of its size). I can't really say I blame Greinke at the time. Plus, Greinke has such an odd personality that I'm sure there was no getting through to him. Also, I have to kind of take 2010-Moore's absurdness that things are going to turn around with a grain of salt, because the Royals didn't have two major pieces of the current run (Escobar and Cain) until after the trade with Milwaukee. People who knew what to look for in the minors saw that things were looking promising, but I remember sitting there in 2010 thinking that four to five years is a long time to wait.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back