• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2014 Recruiting Class Update

Darin must see something here, so welcome Nathan! Decent sized kid, .294avr. Has a video on Youtube I think he made as a senior in HS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqL_bakOulw

Basil? Any thoughts on his talents?

Swing looks ok. If you pause it at 1:25 you can see how is swing is at risk of being long. You can see his arm "bar" as he goes through the zone. In addition, he doesn't swing from the ground up. Notice how his legs and hips don't drive through his swing with authority? Not crazy about that. Now, if he played at a California Juco, I imagine his swing has gotten better as he has gotten stronger. In addition, I bet his swing is more inside out now than being so long. You can see why he is not D1 out of high school with the long swing and soft bottom half. Reetz is comparably a much better hitter.

The receiving video was gimmicky. I need to see a live pitching rather than just someone throwing soft 20 footers. I can't see anything from his throwing video. Blocking? Eh, more gimmicks. I can teach anyone how to block at a college level in under 30 minutes...if they are not afraid of the baseball. Didn't see enough to make a call on him. The footage that I did see was all staged. He is a freshman, so he would have another Juco year. He hit .294 with 12 rbis. Not really stats that will blow you out of the water. He had 9 errors in 150 chances (.940) not great, but he had 10 passed balls. That is not good.

To compare, both Lubach and Fish only had 4 passed balls, each. Fish fielded 1.000 (0 errors in 122 chances) and Lubach fielded .992 (2 errors in 255 chances).
Maybe the staff sees something, wants to red shirt him, and get him going as a RS sophomore.

Or, maybe they are really worried they might lose Lubach and Reetz to the draft, leaving us with only 2 catchers. This draft is really light on catchers. That would be a nightmare scenario; as I think about it if they didn't pick up an emergency catcher. I think this is the most likely scenario and this guy might be the best of the remaining recruits and the best of the freshman JUCOs that aren't going to hold out for better offers.

This kid reminds me of a panic catcher recruit from the early 2000s...Can't remember his name for sure...Tito Rivera I think it was. Terrible player, but had some flash, could hit ok, but was really just a Juco left over.

Thanks Basil, you picked up on my reluctance to get real excited. Yahoo says he committed w/o a visit. Maybe Tanner is looking at his options. The draft worries me, but it's something we have to worry about every year, especially if Darin continues to bring in better players.

I really appreciate your commentary. For example, breaking down his swing. Really adds to the board. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Don't want to be short a catcher. We came out ok, this season, having Quinn to carry us through.

Maybe, Darin sees a possibility, making him a better hitter..... and catcher.

Thanks Basil, you picked up on my reluctance to get real excited. Yahoo says he committed w/o a visit. Maybe Tanner is looking at his options. The draft worries me, but it's something we have to worry about every year, especially if Darin continues to bring in better players.

I really appreciate your commentary. For example, breaking down his swing. Really adds to the board. Thanks! :)

I bet they offered several and said first one in gets the schollie.

I'm not too worried about Lubach leaving, but this does concern me that Reetz has communicated to the staff what scouts have been telling him and they had a contingency plan in place. This commit happened about a week ago and I didn't know about it, so it was way under the radar for me...

I think with how light the draft is on catchers per BLF, there really were no late options except for a slightly above average JUCO guy. Makes me think how lucky we would be if we actually pull in Reetz from the high school ranks. Do they do first 5 rounds on June 5? Would be nice to know what to worry about after the first day....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back