• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2012 Season Grade

I think the thoughts that are being thrown around are spot-on. As fans, we hope that there is going to be a massive turn around, and quicker than normal, but I think everyone was realistic in knowing that this cupboard was more bare than a homeless persons. I believe Erstad even at the beginning of the year said it was going to be a tough road to get to the conference tournament?? Or am I wrong?? I think him getting us there was a big victory considering the state of our pitching staff.

My analysis: I think Fromunda called it way early in the season, our pitching staff was pathedic. There is really no other way to put it. There are glimpses that there could be a couple bright futures down the road, but not even Silva or Erstad could save us with good coaching from what we were having to run out to the mound. I think many of us knew this going in to the season, but hoped that going in to a weak league we may be able to hide that deficiency. If Anderson was still at the helm, I would almost think that this team may have folded after the UCLA series.

It will be huge for Erstad, Silva, and Bolt to bring in some arms that can pitch NOW. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Ehlers would have stuck around to be our Friday starter, he is putting up ridiculous numbers at his JUCO. I think the offense will even improve over this year to next, and I don't think our pitching can get any worse. Couple that with the fact that we have a season under our belt so that the players can SEE what the coaches want on the field rather than just being told it, and I think there will be a big improvement.

I would give it a B- for the season, for the simple fact that I think many of us were hoping the weak league could get us a surprise back door birth to the NCAAs? Fact of the matter is, we were worse than we thought Anderson left us with. Maybe I should change my grade to a C and say that Erstads coaching job was more of a B or B+?

Some really insightful and valid posts here -- thanks for that.

I agree with those cautious to use statistics as an evaluation method without a significant adjustment for strength of competition. It is obvious that Bolt has improved the approach at the plate, but Silva didn't show much in terms of in-season adjustments to cover pitching deficiencies and develop confidence. I hope the non-con schedule gets upgraded quickly. All-in-all, I tremor to think about what the season would have been had conference realignment not taken place.

Last edited:

This! Man you guys are freakin' harsh on this board. None of the other boards are near this bad. I think he did alot with almost nothing. I am proud of our season and I think the ship is heading in the right direction.

Don't group us all by what HWM said, ok? Most of us are totally pleased with the coaching of Erstad. I, truly, believe, he improved on his mistakes, as the season progressed. His biggest weakness, at first?.........................pulling the struggling pitcher waaaaaaaaaay too late. I give Darin a B+, considering, it is his first season. He is going to be a Hall of Fame coach, in my books. :)

Last edited:
decent pitching might have gotten us to a B+, 10 more wins, and a NCAA berth

Heck, Doc, it might have gotten us to the Super Regionals, minimum! :koolaid: :)

Sayin that, I would have given a A!!!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back