• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 2012 Capital One Bowl - Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedOhio

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Just re-watched the Capital One Bowl (turned the sound off and just watched the football part). Here are my observations (nothing that probably hasn't already been said, but here they are).

1. Lavonte David is very very good (no way we can replace him).
2. Mike Caputo was a pretty good center. Not elite, but the best lineman we had during that game.
3. J. Hardrick had an abyssmal game. Multiple false starts and sacks surrendered...Clowney dominated him.
4. Our offensive line was completely dominated in the 2nd half by SC
5. Tayor Martinez is the least of our problems. Other than the turnover near the end of the half, he had a pretty good game. He was running for his life most of the 2nd half. When given time, he played well.
6. Our defense looked very disorganized in the 4th quarter. SC's last td drive was just a bad defensive series in general. Plus, the loss of Carl I'm sure played a role. We played a lot of different personell (what happened to Martin??? did he get hurt??) He didn't see the field much in the 2nd half.
7. The Hail Mary was inexcusable
8. As we all know, LB is a major concern for next seasn...MAJOR! Right now we do not have a good LB on our team...that I have seen. Maybe there are some guys that redshirted, but boy is this a concern area.
9. If we would have finished drives in this game...we win. Abdullah's fumble, Maher missed FG, blocked pat for 2 pts (3 pt. swing)...a lot of points lost there.
10. Beck's play calling was a little suspect...not sure he has learned situational football just yet. I like our scheme, but he does take risk at the wrong time and gets conservative at the wrong time. In time I hope. We could have thrown the ball in the middle of the field all day...it was open most of the day.
11. Losing Dennard was a huge blow.
12. SC didn't really take this game over until mid-way through the 4th quarter.
13. Pelini lost his cool obviously, but I think most of it was out of frustration over the way the 1st half went. We should have been ahead by double digits at halftime and then got completely outplayed in the 2nd half. Coaches worst nightmare, but he's got to handle it better.

Bottom Line: We should have won this game. 30-13 was very decieving because of the mental errors. I believe our problems are fixable (because most are mental) and we could have a very good season next year and are capable of winning the Big 10. But the 24/7 focus from this team needs to return. Need to get mentally tougher. Only major personell concern is LB and to some degree our Offensive Line.

Last edited:

Although I have not re-watched the bowl game for specifics, I will disagree with you on one point. I firmly believe Will Compton is a good, potentially great LB. He seems to get better every game, and I think he's ready to take over more of a leadership role next year. Will he be LaVonte David?? Highly doubtful, but as you said, he is impossible to replace. I do feel, though, that Compton has the tools, desire and work ethic to be 1st team All B1G next year. I see the trio of Compton, Zaire Anderson and Alonzo Whaley to be more than adequate. Remember, the reason Whaley didn't play most of the year was due to class-room behavior. That kid could have a breakout year next year.

All in all, a very good and accurate portrayal of last year's bowl game performance.

Although I have not re-watched the bowl game for specifics, I will disagree with you on one point. I firmly believe Will Compton is a good, potentially great LB. He seems to get better every game, and I think he's ready to take over more of a leadership role next year. Will he be LaVonte David?? Highly doubtful, but as you said, he is impossible to replace. I do feel, though, that Compton has the tools, desire and work ethic to be 1st team All B1G next year. I see the trio of Compton, Zaire Anderson and Alonzo Whaley to be more than adequate. Remember, the reason Whaley didn't play most of the year was due to class-room behavior. That kid could have a breakout year next year.

All in all, a very good and accurate portrayal of last year's bowl game performance.

No arguments on Compton, but I would like to see him make more tackles in the open field. He hasn't proven to be a game changer yet, so hopefully next year is that year. I remember watching his HS film and thinking that he was decent but not great.

I'm very hopeful that Zaire Anderson can play quickly, because his film is great. Alonzo Whaley has some potential, but we need to see it all year...24/7. I'm also hopeful that Sean Fischer can bounce back from his injury. This past year, there is no doubt that injury slowed him down. And hopefully Santo's has his break out season.

But right now, there are ALOT of "ifs" with this group.

Compton may be okay as he at least improved as the year went along. Someone will have to step up in Fisher's spot.

Anderson, Rose and Afalava I expect to see playing time from game one....I would not be surprised to see one of the latter two who are true Frosh take Fisher's starting spot eventually....

Compton may be okay as he at least improved as the year went along. Someone will have to step up in Fisher's spot.

Anderson, Rose and Afalava I expect to see playing time from game one....I would not be surprised to see one of the latter two who are true Frosh take Fisher's starting spot eventually....

that's what we will really need for the defense to step it up.

Just re-watched the Capital One Bowl (turned the sound off and just watched the football part). Here are my observations (nothing that probably hasn't already been said, but here they are).

1. Lavonte David is very very good (no way we can replace him).
2. Mike Caputo was a pretty good center. Not elite, but the best lineman we had during that game.
3. J. Hardrick had an abyssmal game. Multiple false starts and sacks surrendered...Clowney dominated him.
5. Tayor Martinez is the least of our problems. Other than the turnover near the end of the half, he had a pretty good game. He was running for his life most of the 2nd half. When given time, he played well.
6. Our defense looked very disorganized in the 4th quarter. SC's last td drive was just a bad defensive series in general. Plus, the loss of Carl I'm sure played a role. We played a lot of different personell (what happened to Martin??? did he get hurt??) He didn't see the field much in the 2nd half.
7. The Hail Mary was inexcusable
8. As we all know, LB is a major concern for next seasn...MAJOR! Right now we do not have a good LB on our team...that I have seen. Maybe there are some guys that redshirted, but boy is this a concern area.
9. If we would have finished drives in this game...we win. Abdullah's fumble, Maher missed FG, blocked pat for 2 pts (3 pt. swing)...a lot of points lost there.
10. Beck's play calling was a little suspect...not sure he has learned situational football just yet. I like our scheme, but he does take risk at the wrong time and gets conservative at the wrong time. In time I hope. We could have thrown the ball in the middle of the field all day...it was open most of the day.
11. Losing Dennard was a huge blow.
12. SC didn't really take this game over until mid-way through the 4th quarter.
13. Pelini lost his cool obviously, but I think most of it was out of frustration over the way the 1st half went. We should have been ahead by double digits at halftime and then got completely outplayed in the 2nd half. Coaches worst nightmare, but he's got to handle it better.

Bottom Line: We should have won this game. 30-13 was very decieving because of the mental errors. I believe our problems are fixable (because most are mental) and we could have a very good season next year and are capable of winning the Big 10. But the 24/7 focus from this team needs to return. Need to get mentally tougher. Only major personell concern is LB and to some degree our Offensive Line.

We all know it begins up front.

Seems to me your following points are all related to your 4th point.

Caputo is a good average center.

With the OL being dominated, I thought he was just trying to find anything that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back