• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2001 Sept 08 - Notre Dame vs Nebraska

One of my favorite games I went to. The nostalgia of ND and a top flight NU team playing was awesome, and of course winning helped ;)

I was there too. Our special teams stunk, but that helped keep it interesting. Why didn't the ref signal touchdown?

Oops! Just realized this was about the game in Lincoln. I was at it, but don't remember much other than we won.

Last edited:
NU was dominant in the first 20 minutes or so of that game, and then it got pretty boring. ND's offense never threatened much. I think they scored a second half TD after getting a turnover deep in NU territory. On offense, it seemed like Frank either got ultra conservative or just called off the dogs in the second half.

The other thing I remember about this game is that it was just a few days before 9-11. (Sorry to be a downer.)

What I remember most is the juxtaposition of being at that game, with the Rice game on 9/20, the first day D1 CFB resumed play after 9/11. I actually wondered after 9/11 if you'd ever see a flyover again. Those two football games as bookends of 9/11 are seared into my memory. I was pretty choked up at the Rice game--everything was still so fresh.

Last edited:
Your post has inspired me to find other games on youtube, I’m now watching the 92 Colorado game via youtube on my Firestick
I have somehow picked up the morbid habit over the past few weeks of looking for and watching all of the heart-breaking losses of the Osborne era. I can only take so much, so I'm not exactly binge watching them, but I've watched plenty, and it's fascinating. The '81 loss to Iowa, I found myself watching the whole game, convincing myself that I'd picked the wrong year, and surely that offense would finally get untracked? Nope. I can't believe we lost to Oklahoma in '84 or '86, let alone '80. I don't know that "Sooner Magic' was all that magical, but, man, we sure failed to make plays down the stretch against those guys in the 70s and 80s. The '82 Penn State game made me so mad that I had to watch the '83 Penn State game (Kickoff Classic) to regain my equilibrium. I can't believe Houston beat us in the '80 Cotton Bowl.

On the fun side (besides that '83 Penn State game), Husker fans should watch the '82 Iowa game. You get to see poor "Bobby" Stoops running all over the field, trying to cover Irving Fryar, often in man coverage. (It didn't work out so well for Bobby.) I'm amazed at how much spearing there was then, even though that was already illegal. Also, knowing how much harder those artificial turf surfaces were back then, I shudder a little bit at how many times a guy gets slammed down, and someone else comes in late and smacks him, full speed, when he's already on the ground.

I have somehow picked up the morbid habit over the past few weeks of looking for and watching all of the heart-breaking losses of the Osborne era. I can only take so much, so I'm not exactly binge watching them, but I've watched plenty, and it's fascinating. The '81 loss to Iowa, I found myself watching the whole game, convincing myself that I'd picked the wrong year, and surely that offense would finally get untracked? Nope. I can't believe we lost to Oklahoma in '84 or '86, let alone '80. I don't know that "Sooner Magic' was all that magical, but, man, we sure failed to make plays down the stretch against those guys in the 70s and 80s. The '82 Penn State game made me so mad that I had to watch the '83 Penn State game (Kickoff Classic) to regain my equilibrium. I can't believe Houston beat us in the '80 Cotton Bowl.

On the fun side (besides that '83 Penn State game), Husker fans should watch the '82 Iowa game. You get to see poor "Bobby" Stoops running all over the field, trying to cover Irving Fryar, often in man coverage. (It didn't work out so well for Bobby.) I'm amazed at how much spearing there was then, even though that was already illegal. Also, knowing how much harder those artificial turf surfaces were back then, I shudder a little bit at how many times a guy gets slammed down, and someone else comes in late and smacks him, full speed, when he's already on the ground.
As to the last paragraph. I find my self watching old games saying. Illegal now, illegal now, etc.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back