• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

#2 Quarterback

Who is the number 2 Quarterback if AM goes down during the non-conference games?

• Andrew Bunch

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Noah Vedral

Votes: 61 66.3%
  • Luke Mccaffrey

Votes: 28 30.4%

• Total voters
Officially I think it will be Vedral but they find a way to get Luke a few snaps. Realistically it’s a moot point unless the defense is greatly improved and Adrian stays healthy. The makeup game last year was the only one where they could safely pull the starter and win

Last edited:

For the early games, I went with Vedral. He has been with and knows the system best, at this time. Plus, I believe the coaches want to redshirt McCaffrey for the future. Depending what happens during the season, I do expect to see McCaffrey in late season games, per the 4 game limit.
I think Vedral's better than we've seen. Last year I don't think the coaches were preparing him to actually be the backup since he wasn't eligible. When the NCAA declared him eligible halfway through the season, I think it caught everybody (Noah included) by surprise, and he wasn't really ready for it.

This year he's preparing properly. There's a reason he was Mckenzie Milton's backup at UCF. The coaches have a lot of confidence in him. I think he's our clear-cut #2 guy for now.

I think the coaches are hoping to redshirt McCaffrey and get him ready for next year.

I think both of these posts are pretty accurate. I don’t think they were necessarily planning/relying on LM7 to be in the mix for QB2. That he is...HUGE bonus. So, let’s assume a RS was in the plan, they can pick and choose when to use him for 4 games while getting him some actual experience. Barring a worst case unmentionable, Vedral is the defacto QB2 anyway. 2/3 really doesnt matter.

Also, Vedral is bonafide. He had a spring game playing with the 4’s that didnt look awesome and (along with the staff) basically got jerked around by the NCAA-thanks but no thanks for the waiver too late to help. Had they known he would have been eligible, he’d have cleared Gebbia out of snaps in the spring and been in a far different position last fall.

LM7 competing closely with Vedral makes both sharper and hungrier, IMO.

I didn't vote for Bunch, but I thought I read where he has done some good things in camp. I hope during the season there are some games that we get a significant lead and can trust the defense so that Bunch does get some playing time.

Noah, though I think if AMart is hurt severely, the redshirt comes off Mac. You might see some wildcat type packages then. We might anyway, but in limited amounts. #GBR

So was Scott Frost!
Absolutely, but I think comparing Vedral to Frost is a disservice to Frost. I think Frost was persued by power 5 schools, Vedral was persued by a team coming off an 0-12 and 6-6 mid major team.

I tend to believe Vederal is a "solid" #2 at this point in time because of being so familiar with Frosts offensive system. He's a capable #2 and unless something unusal happens will probably be so the entire season. LM has 4 games to burn and still keep his RS which is extremely helpful in his development. HCSF and Verduzco will pick the best spots where LM can get quality playing time during the season. If the worst should happen with injury to AM only then would they really consider burning LM's RS this season.

Just hope AM can remain injury free and all the back up talk remains pretty much academic....

I voted for Vedral because his name starts with "V" the same as his position coach ----- not really. I voted for Vedral because his position coach said that going into fall camp Vedral was #2. All I have read is that Luke has played well enough to make it a three way competition for #2. That would indicate that he's still considered 3 or 4.

The major emphasis of the coaching staff this year, I believe, is to win as many games as they can. It is not building for the future. So if Vedral is better than the freshman, you play him because that gives you a better chance to win this year. That means that in mop up time (assuming dangerously that there will be such times), you play Vedral because he can use the reps too. In other words whoever has the best chance of winning games this year will get the playing time.

I don’t think you worry about a redshirt. Anymore, these guys leave if they don’t play. Not to mention, you keep recruiting another one in each cycle. If he is clearly #2, he should play if the situation arises. Smothers is coming in the next cycle and I’m sure there will be another one behind him.

I don’t think you worry about a redshirt. Anymore, these guys leave if they don’t play. Not to mention, you keep recruiting another one in each cycle. If he is clearly #2, he should play if the situation arises. Smothers is coming in the next cycle and I’m sure there will be another one behind him.

I agree, especially with QB's who seem the most likely to join the "if I don't start, I'll transfer" club. It must be a challenge for coaches to manage a roster deep with talented qb's. I think Scott is smart to have a dedicated qb coach - to put resources into that. It will be interesting to watch NE over the years as they continue to attract talent at that position.

I agree, especially with QB's who seem the most likely to join the "if I don't start, I'll transfer" club. It must be a challenge for coaches to manage a roster deep with talented qb's. I think Scott is smart to have a dedicated qb coach - to put resources into that. It will be interesting to watch NE over the years as they continue to attract talent at that position.

Definitely. I think that is true of most. However, I think McCaffrey is looking at this as a chance to work and develop the right skills to play QB at a high level rather than as a chance to simply play early. So there's a good chance he's willing to be patient while he reworks his motion and other technical things to become as good as he can be.

Verduzco really is a difference maker for this team. Not only does he make the team that much better by his QB coaching, he's also a big recruiting draw for QB's who want to refine their skills

GET TICKETS

Back