• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2 Concerns:

Husker Eponymous

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Last nights giveaway not withstanding (even though Miles best, most experience team got beat by freshman and sophomores; its amazing what good coaching can do)

2 Concerns

1) Miles is riding his 5 starters hard (30+ minutes per game for each of them last night). There are 17 league games left, and the B1G tourney. Does Miles expect them to turn it on down the stretch? It seems to me that playing those 5, and not developing depth, you are asking for a heap of tired legs and bodies come March.

2) Does Miles realize that Nebraska needs to field a team next year? If so, who is going to be playing? I'm seeing Roby and Allen, and role player Borchard. 4 year point guard Watson is gone, so lets not kid ourselves into believing that next year is even an NIT year. He replaces 3 starters, and all the bench.

This is what I call the Miles Enigma. If I'm Bill Moos, and Miles finishes, say, 6th in the B1G (or worse) and makes the tourney and goes one and done with what is supposed to be his 7th year best team, you fire him. You have to. You can't have a coach who fields a competitive team every 4 years, only to go one and done in the tourney.

And please nobody comment with "who are we going to get". NU pays good money, SURELY somebody would want the job!!!

1) Yes, it’s concerning. The extended loss of Amir really jacked up our rotation. I’ve mentioned it once or twice already, we desperately need him back. It makes our whole rotation different. Miles really can’t give Thor minutes because of his poor defense. Brady probably would have got more minutes but he got 3 quick fouls. Nana needs to play more than 9 minutes for sure. These are young kids and there are tons of time outs, I don’t worry about it for 3 or 4 game stretches, but over the course of a season it will hurt us for sure.

2) Roby, Allen, Nana, and Heiman. I don’t expect much from Thor. We got that Burke kid who transferred from Robert Morris, he’s a good player. Green is coming in from JUCO, no doubt he plays right away and scores okay. Then we got a freshman point and Arop, totally unproven. Also we get Amir back. While he’s important to our rotation this year, he can’t score so I’m not sure he’s be much more than a role player next year. I’m sure we will take a grad transfer and get some post recruit. On paper, it seems like a team that could be somewhat competitive but an NIT berth would be their absolute ceiling I would project. I’d project 16 wins. That’s on paper though, things change so rapidly. We could lose or gain players.

You really can’t get to high or get to low, it’s a long season. I think too many people are overreacting to this loss. Yes, I flipped out at the Minnesota loss, but that was quite different in my opinion. We got some pretty decent wins and have been in and out of the Top 25. We will see what happens as the season plays out.

I’ll tell you right now, I’m not above letting Miles go even if he makes the NCAA tournament. It’s tough for me to put an exact number on it though because it’s so many factors. If he wins in the tournament, it’s hard not to extend him. It wouldn’t shock me at all if Miles took a different job even if he finished strong.

I agree, I think we could bring a good coach in here. We have good facilities and the PBA is amazing. I’m not making the hire though, for the prigram’s existence, we have had football people hiring basketball coaches. Maybe Moos is different, I guess we will find out. I just don’t want the mentality that we need to recruit mostly local talent. Nebraska lacked in that and they are making strides, but we need to recruit nationally and be a viable player in the transfer free agency.

Oh, FC, I almost forgot to ask because I haven’t seen you. How did you like that Creighton massacre a month ago?

2) Roby, Allen, Nana, and Heiman. I don’t expect much from Thor. We got that Burke kid who transferred from Robert Morris, he’s a good player. Green is coming in from JUCO, no doubt he plays right away and scores okay. Then we got a freshman point and Arop, totally unproven. Also we get Amir back. While he’s important to our rotation this year, he can’t score so I’m not sure he’s be much more than a role player next year. I’m sure we will take a grad transfer and get some post recruit. On paper, it seems like a team that could be somewhat competitive but an NIT berth would be their absolute ceiling I would project. I’d project 16 wins. That’s on paper though, things change so rapidly. We could lose or gain players.
Also Karrington Davis who was injured this year.

I am not sure Amir can't create a little offense despite not being a 'scorer'. He seems like he has good ball-handling and driving ability which might be good for some drives and kickout assists.

Last edited:
The focus needs to be on winning as many games as possible this year. Not only for Miles sake. But for the team's sake. These seniors deserve it as does the whole team. Next year will be here next year. When this has the potential to be the programs best team ever, you don't worry about next year except in recruiting.

Also Karrington Davis who was injured this year.

I am not sure Amir can't create a little offense despite not being a 'scorer'. He seems like he has good ball-handling and driving ability which might be good for some drives and kickout assists.

I hope I am wrong, but I’m not sure Davis will ever play meaningful minutes, that’s a hell of an injury to get back to even 80%.

Good point about Amir. He reminds me a lot of Jason Dourisseau when he first got to Nebraska, same build. Can’t shoot but a total athletic slasher who can be an efficient scorer around the rim. He can handle the ball and has good court vision.

1) Yes, it’s concerning. The extended loss of Amir really jacked up our rotation. I’ve mentioned it once or twice already, we desperately need him back. It makes our whole rotation different. Miles really can’t give Thor minutes because of his poor defense. Brady probably would have got more minutes but he got 3 quick fouls. Nana needs to play more than 9 minutes for sure. These are young kids and there are tons of time outs, I don’t worry about it for 3 or 4 game stretches, but over the course of a season it will hurt us for sure.

You really can’t get to high or get to low, it’s a long season. I think too many people are overreacting to this loss. Yes, I flipped out at the Minnesota loss, but that was quite different in my opinion. We got some pretty decent wins and have been in and out of the Top 25. We will see what happens as the season plays out.

I’ll tell you right now, I’m not above letting Miles go even if he makes the NCAA tournament. It’s tough for me to put an exact number on it though because it’s so many factors. If he wins in the tournament, it’s hard not to extend him. It wouldn’t shock me at all if Miles took a different job even if he finished strong.

I agree, I think we could bring a good coach in here. We have good facilities and the PBA is amazing. I’m not making the hire though, for the prigram’s existence, we have had football people hiring basketball coaches. Maybe Moos is different, I guess we will find out. I just don’t want the mentality that we need to recruit mostly local talent. Nebraska lacked in that and they are making strides, but we need to recruit nationally and be a viable player in the transfer free agency.

Oh, FC, I almost forgot to ask because I haven’t seen you. How did you like that Creighton massacre a month ago?

I thought it played out exactly how it should have: A Veteran team with seasoned starters against a team of freshman and sophmores finding their roles.

I would say you'll see the exact them next December, but flip the teams: Creightons veterans versus Nebraska's newbies.

If they way the seasons are going is any indiction, I'd bet at the end of February that Creighton is playing better basketball then NU. I don't see NU having any legs left the way Miles is rotating, err, not rotating his 5 starters

back to the OP, playing all 5 starters without subbing in the 2nd against an 0-4 Penn State team is not a recipe for long term success in the B1G this year. I don't see this team being competitive against quality teams down the stretch.

NU appears to have peaked, both physically and emotionally, on Creighton. its been downhill since then

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back