• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

16 Black Shirts Awarded: Cool Video Showing Player Reactions.

Has anybody even acknowledged that football season is just about here yet? September 2nd..... ASU has an appointment with an ASS KICKING!!!!

Not sure if this is what the OP meant, but I'd be interested to hear Diaco's perspective on the handing out of the coveted Blackshirts.

I know that he has expressed his respect, support and honoring of the Blackshirt defense, but I don't recall him musing on the actual awarding of the famed jersey itself.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is what the OP meant, but I'd be interested to hear Diaco's perspective on the handing out of the coveted Blackshirts.

I know that he has expressed his respect, support and honoring of the Blackshirt defense, but I don't recall him musing on the actual awarding of the famed jersey itself.
Diaco is a pretty "walk the line" guy when it comes to not stepping on Riley's toes or any traditions where he is coaching. What I mean by that, is when he's asked for an interview when it's not already designated, he'll say "make sure you ok it with Coach Riley first" or things of that nature.

In regard to the Blackshirts, it's more of the same. I remember some random fan asking him "when are you handing out the blackshirts" and his response was "whatever the tradition dictates is what we will do. Kids are excited to get them and it's a tradition that was started here for a reason."

What I get from him is he isn't going to do anything to rock the boat that doesn't come to his defense. He will defend what he does schematically or in certain situations if need be, but he's not going to inundate himself with things outside of on the field results.

Blackshirts article, first Google search results

Rothermere_-_Hurrah_for_the_Blackshirts.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackshirts

Last edited:

Very cool video. It's always great to see the reactions from those receiving the Blackshirts. You can tell how much they appreciate receiving the honor.

:Blackshirts::throwbones::Blackshirts:
Excited for this D, I believe N will better defensively this year, but not without a few bumps here and there.

Bob Diaco gets it...I absolutely love what he says below.

Defensive coordinator Bob Diaco agrees. While he sees the Blackshirt tradition as an exciting one, he also believes there has to be a bigger goal from it. He hopes all 16 defensive players who were awarded one will grow from it.

If their goal was to get a shirt, then we’re going to have a learning curve,” Diaco said. “If their goal was to take on the responsibility and accountability of defending the hopes and dreams of the team, the university and the state, that’s super exciting.

Diaco is the first to say he appreciates the Blackshirt tradition. In his opinion, it’s one of the more special traditions in college football.

But now Diaco hopes Weber, Barry and the others awarded a Blackshirt work to uphold it.

It’s the beginning of a process,” Diaco said. “It’s the beginning of a responsibility and accountability to work, habits, leadership, strain, pain.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-football-blackshirts-responsibilities

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back