• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

12 team playoff

Notre Dame is a threat to force the playoff the expand.

Yes, I know the CFP standings will change plenty. But as it stands now, the current playoff would have Notre Dame, SEC, ACC. And that's it.

Notre Dame has the potential to knock two -- or even three -- power five conferences completely out of the playoff. Sure, maybe they do choke at some point (although their remaining schedule is not brutal -- and they have no conference championship game to play). But if you wanna see an uproar, keep two or three power five conferences from having any chance of a playoff game ... because ... Notre Dame.

Now, IF it ever does expand ... and I think it's much more likely than not ... doesn't matter how much fans kick and scream, wishing for the old days in a sport that is much more big business than yesteryear ... it won't ever go beyond 8. Because then you'd absolutely have to shorten the regular season or scrap conference championship games -- and I guarantee that will NEVER happen -- because you'd be taking away guaranteed revenue from individual schools and conferences. To note, FCS has a 24-team playoff -- but they also have an 11-game regular season and no conference championship games.

I think they should expand to 64, no 68, teams because then, for sure, every single school would quickly win at least one tournament game, and have that to be proud of. Surely that would happen. Wouldn't it? Because that wouldn't be cool if like one school never actually won a tournament game. You know what I mean?

;)

Last edited:
Notre Dame is a threat to force the playoff the expand.

Yes, I know the CFP standings will change plenty. But as it stands now, the current playoff would have Notre Dame, SEC, ACC. And that's it.

Notre Dame has the potential to knock two -- or even three -- power five conferences completely out of the playoff. Sure, maybe they do choke at some point (although their remaining schedule is not brutal -- and they have no conference championship game to play). But if you wanna see an uproar, keep two or three power five conferences from having any chance of a playoff game ... because ... Notre Dame.

Now, IF it ever does expand ... and I think it's much more likely than not ... doesn't matter how much fans kick and scream, wishing for the old days in a sport that is much more big business than yesteryear ... it won't ever go beyond 8. Because then you'd absolutely have to shorten the regular season or scrap conference championship games -- and I guarantee that will NEVER happen -- because you'd be taking away guaranteed revenue from individual schools and conferences. To note, FCS has a 24-team playoff -- but they also have an 11-game regular season and no conference championship games.
Notre Dame is only one team, will take only one playoff berth at most, and therefore will only keep one conference from obtaining a playoff berth, at most.

Last edited:
Notre Dame is only one team, will take only one playoff berth at most, and therefore will only keep one conference from obtaining a playoff berth, at most.

Unless one conference draws two teams. Don't ever discount the SEC in doing so. They've done it before. As I said, the four playoff teams -- if the season ended today (IF, of course) -- two SEC, one ACC. Notre Dame.

Regardless, Notre Dame makes it, there's two conferences out -- yes, they can only keep one out as themselves, but it would be two total.

Yes, I get your point on ND being one team and therefore only one conference bumped. I didn't clarify well.

Last edited:

Unless one conference draws two teams. Don't ever discount the SEC in doing so. They've done it before. As I said, the four playoff teams -- if the season ended today (IF, of course) -- two SEC, one ACC. Notre Dame.

Regardless, Notre Dame makes it, and it keeps two conferences out -- minimum.
Nah, GFOA is correct, ND can only keep one team(conference) out. If the SEC gets two teams in again, then they have knocked out a conference. ND can only keep one out and if they go undefeated, then rightfully so, especially if it keeps either Michigan or OSU out of the playoffs, I am all for it.

Last edited:
Nah, GFOA is correct, ND can only keep one team out. If the SEC gets two teams in again, then they have knocked out a conference. ND can only keep one out and if they go undefeated, then rightfully so, especially if it keeps either Michigan or OSU out of the playoffs, I am all for it.

Yes.

Nah, GFOA is correct, ND can only keep one team(conference) out. If the SEC gets two teams in again, then they have knocked out a conference. ND can only keep one out and if they go undefeated, then rightfully so, especially if it keeps either Michigan or OSU out of the playoffs, I am all for it.

I would absolutely love to see Notre Dame, two SEC, one other. Because, as I said, that's a good way to create chaos and lots of angry commissioners (let alone fans and media).

I would absolutely love to see Notre Dame, two SEC, one other. Because, as I said, that's a good way to create chaos and lots of angry commissioners (let alone fans and media).
Yeah, I can't argue against that. I don't care to much for or about ND, but, I also don't care much about the SEC or OSU and Michigan, so yeah, chaos could be good, especially since our beloved Huskers wont be in the picture for at least a few more seasons(2 minimum).

Not entirely sure why I understand the desire to create chaos. Also...I'm not immune to the desire myself, sometimes! But I sure as hell don't want to see two teams from ANY conference make the 4 team playoff. It's a joke. The upside, of course, is that when it does keep happening it will speed up the 6 or 8 team playoff so that's fine. But they'll screw that up too and won't limit teams from one conference. So all it will do is open up a 3rd slot for the SEC.

Not entirely sure why I understand the desire to create chaos. Also...I'm not immune to the desire myself, sometimes! But I sure as hell don't want to see two teams from ANY conference make the 4 team playoff. It's a joke. The upside, of course, is that when it does keep happening it will speed up the 6 or 8 team playoff so that's fine. But they'll screw that up too and won't limit teams from one conference. So all it will do is open up a 3rd slot for the SEC.

Definitely. I hate it too. I'm with you that under the current 4-team playoff, teams included must win their conference title to qualify. So, I figure the more chaos -- the more people that get pissed off -- the more likely it is to be pushed to 6 or 8 teams, which I feel is ideal. Of course, that's given the notion that every Power Five conference is guaranteed an entry by their conference champion. If that's not the case, then screw any more teams than what we have now.

Definitely. I hate it too. I'm with you that under the current 4-team playoff, teams included must win their conference title to qualify. So, I figure the more chaos -- the more people that get pissed off -- the more likely it is to be pushed to 6 or 8 teams, which I feel is ideal. Of course, that's given the notion that every Power Five conference is guaranteed an entry by their conference champion. If that's not the case, then screw any more teams than what we have now.
Agree

see my avatar

my thoughts today:
  1. I loved the romance of the bowl system and the New Years Day suspense, especially because the DONU was almost always involved.
  2. I hated the emptiness of the bowl system when knew there were worthy teams being disrespected by biased groups of voters.
  3. I have been a hearty advocate of a 16 team play-off system since before the husker dynasty in the 90s.
  4. I believe that team 17 is far enough removed from having any claim to the natty. Most years an 8 team play-off would suffice, but not all years.
  5. I hear all the arguments and I think they are all poppycock. We could go through them one at a time if you want and find a solution if you want, but do you want?
  6. I believe we will see the 8 team model sooner rather than later. It will be fun to watch all the guys who are locked into the 4 team model today shift their allegiance like a chameleon changes clothes.
  7. I honestly dont know if we will get to the 16 team play-off I want so badly. I think there will be many people satisfied by going to 8 teams.
  8. I dont think its about finding the best team, I think its about crowning a champion. We can still always argue about who the best team is regardless of how we name the champion. Some years I will whine if the team I think is the best gets screwed over by some quirky seeding thing or an injury to a key player in the first round. Other years I will celebrate when a cinderella come to maturity right when the playoffs start and we get to see the big dogs defend their turf.

Alabama could beat 4 or 5 pro teams this year
Maybe, maybe not ... Alabama has not played anyone that plays a modicum of defense yet this year. Their SEC cross-over's are not tough. Alabama is progressing based on reputation alone at the moment.

Just simple 8 team playoff with 5 Power 5 Conference Champions ( if those are chosen from the Divisions they set up, so be it). Then add 3 WC’s that cannot be a losing team from the Conf Championship Games (so in effect those games make it a 16 team playoff...win that CCG and you’re in the CFP). This makes the regular season ultra important and meaningful as if you just win your Division, then you have a shot to get in the CFP by winning the CCG. Every sport has a playoff to determine their champions and their reg season matters only in that they have to be a Division winner to guarantee themselves a shot...THAT keeps Cinderella alive for CFP. By eliminating CCG losers, you then take the highest ranked three other teams. I don’t think ND could stay independent under this system as they would only be able to get in via WC. Not easy. What I like about this is it would create excitement for every Division in Power 5, as even the down year Divisions (like B1G West and PAC12) would be out of any CFP, but in this scenario they would still have a shot at CFP. So a game like NW-Iowa, would be HUGE coming up.
I agree that an 8 team playoff makes sense, but I'm not sure about eliminating CCG losers. That means you would often be choosing a 3rd place conference team for the playoffs. Put another way, Notre Dame only has to be the 3rd best team that didn't make it to a CCG to get in (Top 12 or so nationally).

Because 3 wildcards seems high, and national conferences (Nebraska to NJ, Florida to Missouri, WV to OK) are stupid, I'd actually prefer to blow up the current conferences and have 6 regional based power conferences with 12 teams each. This would expand the Power 5 by 6 or 7 teams. I realize this won't happen because $$$.

All 6 conference champions get into an 8 team playoff. 1 group of 5 team gets in, and 1 wildcard gets in. Homefield advantage for first round based on seeding (Top 6 seeds must be conference champions).

It's a tournament of actual conference champions. The NFL playoffs are a joke in comparison.

I get it, you only want Power 5 teams. It's rather narrow-minded IMHO.
As ususal you are wrong. ESPN has you and everyone else that wants a bigger deal, by the balls. They go to college to learn for the most part, they are not a farm team for the NFL. Like they say about every basketball team in the 64 team tournament, all are going to lose but one.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back