• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

12 team playoff

BGRed

Blackshirt
20 Year Member
Some HM members may recall seeing this in past years. Before the new CFP, while it was already seeming to be inevitable, a buddy and I were kicking around what type of playoff system would be best for keeping the regular season as meaningful as possible, encouraging good non-conference games, keeping fan travel to a minimum, and giving all teams a chance to be in the field (even the G5). What we came up with was a 12 team field, with three 'tiers' to lessen the chance that teams would just try to cruise into neutral site games without really playing anybody.

Based on Massey Composite Ranking (although I can update with real CFP rankings tomorrow night...). This will change quite a bit with the two big SEC games coming up this weekend (Alabama/LSU & Georgia/Kentucky).

#9 Ohio State at #8 Kentucky
- Winner at #1 Clemson

#12 West Virginia at #5 Michigan
- Winner at #4 LSU

#11 Penn State at #6 Notre Dame
- Winner at #3 Georgia

#10 Florida at #7 Oklahoma
- Winner at #2 Alabama

Bubble Teams to Watch:
#13 Utah
#14 Iowa
#15 Wash State
#16 Central Florida
#17 Mississippi St
#18 Fresno St
#19 Texas
#20 Texas A&M

Alternatively, maybe a 6 team field, with the champions of each P5 conference and the top G5 team or ND (maybe with a certain minimum ranking requirement?)?

#7 Oklahoma at #6 Notre Dame
Winner at #1 Clemson

#13 Utah at #5 Michigan
Winner at #2 Alabama

Last year's playoff of conference champs would have been...

#12 Central Florida at #8 USC
Winner at #1 Clemson

#5 Ohio State at #3 Georgia
Winner at #2 Oklahoma

Some HM members may recall seeing this in past years. Before the new CFP, while it was already seeming to be inevitable, a buddy and I were kicking around what type of playoff system would be best for keeping the regular season as meaningful as possible, encouraging good non-conference games, keeping fan travel to a minimum, and giving all teams a chance to be in the field (even the G5). What we came up with was a 12 team field, with three 'tiers' to lessen the chance that teams would just try to cruise into neutral site games without really playing anybody.

Based on Massey Composite Ranking (although I can update with real CFP rankings tomorrow night...). This will change quite a bit with the two big SEC games coming up this weekend (Alabama/LSU & Georgia/Kentucky).

- Winner at #1 Clemson

#12 West Virginia at #5 Michigan
- Winner at #4 LSU

#11 Penn State at #6 Notre Dame
- Winner at #3 Georgia

#10 Florida at #7 Oklahoma
- Winner at #2 Alabama

Bubble Teams to Watch:
#13 Utah
#14 Iowa
#15 Wash State
#16 Central Florida
#17 Mississippi St
#18 Fresno St
#19 Texas
#20 Texas A&M

Alternatively, maybe a 6 team field, with the champions of each P5 conference and the top G5 team or ND (maybe with a certain minimum ranking requirement?)?

#7 Oklahoma at #6 Notre Dame
Winner at #1 Clemson

#13 Utah at #5 Michigan
Winner at #2 Alabama

Last year's playoff of conference champs would have been...

#12 Central Florida at #8 USC
Winner at #1 Clemson

#5 Ohio State at #3 Georgia
Winner at #2 Oklahoma
First round byes should be limited to conference champions only.

First round byes should be limited to conference champions only.

I like that tweak. Can ND get a bye?

- Winner at #1 Clemson

#11 Penn State at #4 LSU
- Winner at #7 Oklahoma (or #6 Notre Dame?)

#12 West Virginia at #3 Georgia
- Winner at #5 Michigan

#10 Florida at #6 Notre Dame (or #7 Oklahoma?)
- Winner at #2 Alabama

I like that tweak. Can ND get a bye?

- Winner at #1 Clemson

#11 Penn State at #4 LSU
- Winner at #7 Oklahoma (or #6 Notre Dame?)

#12 West Virginia at #3 Georgia
- Winner at #5 Michigan

#10 Florida at #6 Notre Dame (or #7 Oklahoma?)
- Winner at #2 Alabama
I had a little different concept where the conference Championship games were round 1. That would use up 10 spots and happen the first week of December. The CCG losers would be eliminated and the 5 CCG winners would advance to round 2.

The remaining 3 games of Rd 1 would be played the following week. There would be earned access for high enough ranked non-power 5 teams and they would be given preference for home field. Round 2 would be on campus.

This means, the Alabama-LSU loser could be going on the road to the likes of UCF of Boise and if they win, may actually have to face the elements and go on the road to somewhere like Michigan or Ohio State in December.

Last edited:

Alabama wins anyway..what's the point? Clemson #1 seed..what a joke!Alabama could beat 4 or 5 pro teams this year

Please NO! Eight teams is too many. 12 would be letting in teams that clearly don't deserve it.

Talk about minimizing the regular season. I realize rankings are always subjective, but you have to acknowledge the eye test as well. This year (halfway through, BTW) you have Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan, then maybe LSU and OU who deserve a shot. Some of those will soon be eliminated. You could argue for UCF also, but they really haven't earned it by their schedule.

Bottom line, even with an 8-team playoff, you'd have 2-4 teams who wouldn't deserve to be in the running for NC. Adding any more teams would just be stupid. Be careful what you wish for...

Last edited:
I agree with those who argue that no byes should be included in a playoff situation. I would argue that no 2-loss team should ever be included if there are undefeated teams remaining. I realize that some teams' schedules are more difficult than others, but losing 2 means you aren't championship quality IMO. More than likely, 1 of the 2 teams they lost to would be defeated or win the championship, which would justify why that 2-loss team should have been disqualified. If those 2 losses were to teams who either: 1) didn't make the playoff or 2) lost in the playoff, that would justify that team's exclusion.

Conference champions from D1A should all get in. Any remaining slots covers the shoulda woulda. Rank them 1-16 and play a bracket. The top teams have the path of least resistance. First two rounds at home if they can accommodate 60,000 seats; else NCAA has neutral regional sites available to favor higher seed. Ticket sales split 50 home team, 25 away tea, and 25 to NCAA to fund tournament. Win or don't complain.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back