• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

#1 Hot Seats

I hope we don't have to find out, but Husker Nation will again be divided if that is the case.

Does anyone happen to know the last time a Power 5 coach was brought back for a 5th season after starting with four losing seasons? I suspect it is pretty rare in this day and age.
Has there ever been a Power 5 program with a more massive burden to bear?

O'Brien at Penn St. for sure. Some other coaches that have inherited bad/difficult situations in the last few years include Tucker (CU, then Michigan St.), Schiano (Rutgers), Bielema (Illinois), and Fleck (Minnesota). That's just in the Big Ten, and most of those coaches (too soon to tell with Bielema) have shown improvement and returned the programs to respectability by year 2.

I'd bet HCSF gets a Mulligan from TA and the powers even if we don't make a bowl game.
This is a tough one to call. Not sure 5wins will be convincing enough. Even for the fans. We seem to be on a high right now based on a close games with OU and winning 2 of 3 against our 3 easiest opponents of the year. This thrill and feeling of progress will disappear if we don’t win half of our next 8 to become bowl eligible. Since we already lost to Illinois…..only winning 3 conference games is likely to put us near the very bottom in the west standings.

This is a tough one to call. Not sure 5wins will be convincing enough. Even for the fans. We seem to be on a high right now based on a close games with OU and winning 2 of 3 against our 3 easiest opponents of the year. This thrill and feeling of progress will disappear if we don’t win half of our next 8 to become bowl eligible. Since we already lost to Illinois…..only winning 3 conference games is likely to put us near the very bottom in the west standings.
I don't disagree but the optics are probably bad for TA to be firing SF his first year as AD. I just think SF will get another year regardless of results this season. Having said that if however there is entire implosion and we don't win another game (unlikely imo) then yea it could force the administrations hand. I've been very unhappy (along with many fans) at HCSF's progress but there is a glimmer of hope at the moment. Going to try and remain positive and let the season play out without dive bombing coach Frost. GBR

Good post. Although the Huskers did show up, a person could say, yea let’s let up on him a bit. But the truth is really more like this. because they played and GAVE the game to the Sooners only magnifies the issue that he is not the guy. They are not mentally prepared and that’s on the staff. Today Oklahoma dropped to 4th because they played Nebraska And won. That in its self should tell you why he’s on the hot seat, other than his record. We played them close analysis doesn’t count.
The eye test says more than than any analysis. This team the last three games has looked better than ANY game and ANY team I have seen since Frost got here. The defense has the ultimate bend-don't-break system, where we give up yards, but ultimately don't let the other team score. Our offense is starting to pick it up, and as the OL improves, so will the offense as a whole. We aren't going to start winning those close games overnight, but we are showing improvement in areas that have cost us games down the stretch, just a few more adjustments and a little bit more discipline will put us on the winning side of many of those games

Has there ever been a Power 5 program with a more massive burden to bear?

I'm sure there's plenty. But I guess I'd ask you how you are defining a burden? And what makes Nebraska more extreme in your eyes?

Living in Austin, I can promise you the "burden" is tremendous here. UT has gone through four coaches since 2013 -- compared to NU's three. Herman was fired with 7-10 wins in each of his seasons, a bowl game every season, and finished ranked his last three.

If "burden" is defined as expectations/pressure to "win now," Nebraska is nowhere near the top.

Last edited:

His performance during the first three years were terrible and he could justifiably have been fired. But he wasn't, so he's safe for the rest of the year.

NU was put in a bind on firing him, however, by the quick extension given to him for no discernible reason. I've never understood that. That much money does in fact talk.

And it says, hopefully, please get us to a bowl game this year and we can fake it from there.

So we'll see. If we can have an entirely different looking and acting team than we have had for his first three years, maybe we can get a break here and there and get to 6. And that will keep him in his chair, I think.

Sad, but it will. Getting to 6 wins with three gimmees is a fairly low bar, but the fan base will see great things in that. And the administration can reduce that big payout a bit.

So I'm not sure how hot the seat is under him. That's a lot of money to pay out. I suspect that we are still paying other coaches we fired, and we are not a rich school.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back