• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

1-7

BigRedAvenger

Poster of Substance
5 Year Member
The records of Penn State and Michigan combined. Weird.

OSU is probably wishing they were in the West for SOS.

South Carolina just let Muschamp go, wonder if this puts more pressure on Harbaugh?

Michigan has got to worry if the "hot coaches" will be gone before the end of the season if they wait till December 12th to decide if Harbaugh is still their guy.

AT 8 million he is a heavy burden as you could get a "new guy" for 5-6 million and the new guy would think he got a big pay bump :).

Why is that low class? Is there an actual "correct" time to fire someone that is classy?

IMO, it'd a double-edged sword. On one hand, you can start you search in earnest and you aren't doing it behind your current coach's back. Unless the AD is a complete dirtbag, the coach getting fired isn't likely going to be surprised by the action, either. On the other hand, you create a lost season for the team. But, if you're firing your coach, you probably weren't having a great year anyway.

Maybe the bigger issue is you also give other teams a really long time to pick off your recruits. It's unlikely you can make an in-season hire unless you're going after someone not currently coaching, so kids have a long period of knowing the guy that recruited them to that school won't be there. If you fire at season's end and rehire quickly, the new guy might be able to convince some kids to stay on board. I suppose the fact of the matter is the early signing date means you are likely losing the majority of a recruiting cycle no matter what you do. The delayed season and the fact that early signing day is December 16 means it is essentially impossible to pull of a fire-and-hire after this season and before the signing date.

Last edited:
Why is that low class? Is there an actual "correct" time to fire someone that is classy?
Agree. College programs pay people a lot of money to evaluate the direction their teams are going and make those tough decisions. For instance, if we absolutely lay an egg against Illinois this weekend it'd be a good time to "friend" Urban Meyers on social media.

IMO, it'd a double-edged sword. On one hand, you can start you search in earnest and you aren't doing it behind your current coach's back. Unless the AD is a complete dirtbag, the coach getting fired isn't likely going to be surprised by the action, either. On the other hand, you create a lost season for the team. But, if you're firing your coach, you probably weren't having a great year anyway.

Maybe the bigger issue is you also give other teams a really long time to pick off your recruits. It's unlikely you can make an in-season hire unless you're going after someone not currently coaching, so kids have a long period of knowing the guy that recruited them to that school won't be there. If you fire at season's end and rehire quickly, the new guy might be able to convince some kids to stay on board. I suppose the fact of the matter is the early signing date means you are likely losing the majority of a recruiting cycle no matter what you do. The delayed season and the fact that early signing day is December 16 means it is essentially impossible to pull of a fire-and-hire after this season and before the signing date.

I pretty much agree with everything you posted, so to me this is the perfect year to let a coach go in midseason.

This season is a throw away so you don't have a season to ruin this year. And with Covid recruiting is a mess with kids not being able to go to a campus, and coaches not being able to go see kids. So poaching a kid from a school losing a coach would not be as easy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back