• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

“We have no rival. We are Nebraska.”

ChicagoB1GRed

Recruit
5 Year Member
A quote attributed to the BobFather worth remembering today.

Nebraskans have always said we have no football rivalry. Each game was important, the team should keep an even keel every week throughout the season.

Even during the height of the Oklahoma games, the match-up was one of mutual respect, not an emotional one full of animosity. And Texas was OU’s rival. As much as Colorado tried to claim Nebraska as a rival, Nebraskans always said it wasn’t a rivalry.

And to Iowa, I say: you're no Oklahoma or Colorado

I sure remember all the "Better dead than Sooner red" t-shirts worn by the fans in the 70's and 80's. I agree there was a great deal of mutual respect, but for me it WAS emotional and very intense. God I miss those days. Go Big Red!!

I sure remember all the "Better dead than Sooner red" t-shirts worn by the fans in the 70's and 80's. I agree there was a great deal of mutual respect, but for me it WAS emotional and very intense. God I miss those days. Go Big Red!!

And the Huck the Fuskers shirts worn by the OU fans.

I see an Iowa-Nebraska rivalry brewing. They're right next door, which makes them the closest thing we have to an in-state rival. Each of us seems to dislike the other. They even have a coach talking crap about us. Our wins and losses are even - which in my opinion is important. You have to lose some to really build that intense desire to beat 'em the next time. In time I think it could be a good one.

It seems to me that the Iowa dislike isn't prevalent through the state, just the Omaha metro area. If being a border state is all that was required for a rivalry, we would have been in rivalry paradise in the Big 12, with 4 border state teams.

I don't get any more excited about playing Iowa compared to other teams on the schedule, and often it's quite the opposite as each NU-IU game has been a painfully boring, lifeless game.

even-keel at what level is our biggest question ahead of right now

Right now, it seems like Illinois should be our rival. Thanks to Eichhorst, Pearlman, and Riley for that.

A rivalry game has to brew over time. saying a team is not worthy of being a rival does nothing. looking at all the rival games over time they have all brewed up over a long time. teams keeping another out of the conference championship and on and on. Oklahoma always took many recruits out of Texas..We will beat ya with your own players. many reasons for a rival game. looking forward to the OSU and Mich game as well as others tomorrow. Rival games are fun to watch

Nebraskans have always said we have no football rivalry. Each game was important, the team should keep an even keel every week throughout the season.

Even during the height of the Oklahoma games, the match-up was one of mutual respect, not an emotional one full of animosity. And Texas was OU’s rival. As much as Colorado tried to claim Nebraska as a rival, Nebraskans always said it wasn’t a rivalry.

And Iowa says..you're no Nebraska. only a shadow of your former self

Correct,but they have had our number lately.

And Iowa says..you're no Nebraska. only a shadow of your former self
I knew Nebraska . Nebraska was a friend of mine you, my friend, are no Nebraska .

I like that we play iowa on Black Friday. I think it should remain that way. Perhaps in 20 years, it will become a true rivalry, where the game means something. Where both teams are in the top 15, and the winner is the division champ

Yeah, first misstep by Moos....going to bat for a rivalry game with Iowa. Not cool. Wisconsin, maybe. Iowa, no way.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back