• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Zaire Anderson is "N"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUCO guys I think there is more of an expectation because their stay is usually much shorter...

I think we do ourselves and the recruits a disservice by thinking they can come in and contribute right away. Its more the norm that it takes someone some time to be able to adjust and contribute.

Bo and Carl are both on record saying they want these guys to contribute right away and he is a 3 for 2 so they have time with him.

If I was to guess Tyrone Neal is top of the board and we have a real shot at him...Lambert we have little or nor shot at in my opinion...Alabama bound if I had to guess...

Welcome home Zaire. I think we go after at least one more LB. Who do we have left?

Last edited:
I have read a few tongue-n-cheek comments about how Akron was Zaire Anderson's only other schollie offer. I wanted to share my take on that.

Generally a JUCO kid is not heavily recruited (by a BCS power) until around October. Sure there are exceptions. Schools spend the majority of their recruiting efforts up to this point full-court pressing blue-chip high school players (and have been for over a year), and for good reasons. Usually about this time schools will turn their attentions to JUCO players after they have missed out on a H.S. recruit(s) that they have been targeting. Another reason is usually a coach will see by now where he needs immediate help at a specific position or a where he may not be getting the overall player development he thought he would at a position group. JUCO kids are recruited with immediate help for the following season in mind as where a H.S. kid has more leeway time to develope (obviously).

I know Akron is well, Akron, but their 1st year coach is Rob Ianello who had the reputation as being perhaps the best recruiting coach in the country when he was an assitant at places like Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Arizona. I personally agree. The point being he knows talent and with Ianello having his foot in the door early, I would take that as a good sign.

Schools in conferences like the MAC, Conference USA etc. look at JUCO kids much earlier in the process because they know they have no shot at the elite H.S. talent around the country.

Overall as a rule of thumb, you should pay no attention to where a JUCO kid has other offers from. With high school kids on the other hand, I would pay more attention to who they have offers from more than how many stars a recruiting service may give them.

so when a coach goes after a kid and the kid ends up in a JUCO normally that coach will forget about him?

Sometimes a kid does not qualify and goes the Prep School route. Schools and kids generally stay committed to each other more in this case. When a kid goes the JUCO route you see him go to a different school more times than not from my experience.

2008 CB recruit David Whitmore was a concensus **** who went the JUCO route. Nebraska made no attempt to make him apart of their 2011 class (no new schollie offer) and eventually he signed with Baylor, who Whitmore had zero interest with or from in '08.

Sometimes a kid does not qualify and goes the Prep School route. Schools and kids generally stay committed to each other more in this case. When a kid goes the JUCO route you see him go to a different school more times than not from my experience.

2008 CB recruit David Whitmore was a concensus **** who went the JUCO route. Nebraska made no attempt to make him apart of their 2011 class (no new schollie offer) and eventually he signed with Baylor, who Whitmore had zero interest with or from in '08.

That was my perception as well but I don't follow it very closely. I wonder why that is; that they don't reoffer the kid. I could see it if the coach leaves.

+1....well said....

I have read a few tongue-n-cheek comments about how Akron was Zaire Anderson's only other schollie offer. I wanted to share my take on that.

Generally a JUCO kid is not heavily recruited (by a BCS power) until around October. Sure there are exceptions. Schools spend the majority of their recruiting efforts up to this point full-court pressing blue-chip high school players (and have been for over a year), and for good reasons. Usually about this time schools will turn their attentions to JUCO players after they have missed out on a H.S. recruit(s) that they have been targeting. Another reason is usually a coach will see by now where he needs immediate help at a specific position or a where he may not be getting the overall player development he thought he would at a position group. JUCO kids are recruited with immediate help for the following season in mind as where a H.S. kid has more leeway time to develope (obviously).

I know Akron is well, Akron, but their 1st year coach is Rob Ianello who had the reputation as being perhaps the best recruiting coach in the country when he was an assitant at places like Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Arizona. I personally agree. The point being he knows talent and with Ianello having his foot in the door early, I would take that as a good sign.

Schools in conferences like the MAC, Conference USA etc. look at JUCO kids much earlier in the process because they know they have no shot at the elite H.S. talent around the country.

Overall as a rule of thumb, you should pay no attention to where a JUCO kid has other offers from. With high school kids on the other hand, I would pay more attention to who they have offers from more than how many stars a recruiting service may give them.

Nice. Great post and informative.

That was my perception as well but I don't follow it very closely. I wonder why that is; that they don't reoffer the kid. I could see it if the coach leaves.

You know I always wondered why that is also. If we are attempting to get a kid and he goes JUCO, is it more of the coach not staying in touch with the kid or is it more that the recruit lost interest in his favorite school (being that he commited and didn't qualify).

I think about this because of the Heard situation and now Charles Jackson. If Heard would have went JUCO would he have eventually made it back to NU or would he of gain more interest in Ohio St or Miami of Ohio or Ohio etc.... And why?

You know I always wondered why that is also. If we are attempting to get a kid and he goes JUCO, is it more of the coach not staying in touch with the kid or is it more that the recruit lost interest in his favorite school (being that he commited and didn't qualify).

I think about this because of the Heard situation and now Charles Jackson. If Heard would have went JUCO would he have eventually made it back to NU or would he of gain more interest in Ohio St or Miami of Ohio or Ohio etc.... And why?

exactly.

I've thought that it was because when the school goes in another direction, they then concentrate on the player(s) they took in the original player's place. The school has to worry about the players they have and not on "what might have been". So, after developing a player(s) for 2 years, the school may not need that original player at that time. So, that player is not recruited again.

I think a lot of it has to do with a team and its needs changing from year to year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back