• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Zac Taylor to the Bengals

Not surprising. Callahan sure seems to make the rounds, 3 years each with the Eagles, Cowboys, and Redskins.
Redskins were completely devastated on the OL this year and yet AP rushed for over 1000 yards and they were actually competitive for a lot of football games even with a million holes to fill. I thin Bill did a pretty good job coaching them.

By most all accounts, he is an excellent asst. Not so much as a head coach.

Of course he is ... more than excellent. Arguably the best o-line coach in the NFL but invariably this is going to resurrect the FHCBC era. One I’d like to forget.

Not surprising. Callahan sure seems to make the rounds, 3 years each with the Eagles, Cowboys, and Redskins.

Redskins were completely devastated on the OL this year and yet AP rushed for over 1000 yards and they were actually competitive for a lot of football games even with a million holes to fill. I thin Bill did a pretty good job coaching them.
Callahan has been around long enough that there aren't a lot of secrets left. If you look at what he's done wherever he's been, there are two incontrovertible patterns that emerge:
  1. He's a heck of an O-line coach. Everywhere he has been as an O-line coach, his guys have been better than they otherwise should have been.
  2. He's an arrogant man. I'm not sure how abrasive he is because there seems to be some mixed signals on that, but he is clearly not lacking in self-esteem when those who have worked with him have consistently said that he has a brilliant offensive mind,... and that he blames everything that goes wrong on others' inability to grasp his ideas.
He might be right: It's possible that he's a genius who is just too smart for us mere mortals to execute his vision. He also might be a little too self-absorbed for those who work with him to want to put up with that kind of attitude for very long.

Last edited:

Callahan has been around long enough that there aren't a lot of secrets left. If you look at what he's done wherever he's been, there are two incontrovertible patterns that emerge:
  1. He's a heck of an O-line coach. Everywhere he has been as an O-line coach, his guys have been better than they otherwise should have been.
  2. He's an arrogant man. I'm not sure how abrasive he is because there seems to be some mixed signals on that, but he is clearly not lacking in self-esteem when those who have worked with him have consistently said that he has a brilliant offensive mind,... and that he blames everything that goes wrong on others' inability to grasp his ideas.
He might be right: It's possible that he's a genius who is just too smart for us mere mortals to execute his vision. He also might be a little too self-absorbed for those who work with him to want to put up with that kind of attitude for very long.
You left out the part where he is a multimillionaire too. Thanks Cornhuskers and Raiders

I've worked with some brilliant people in my field that couldn't manage anything but a task or a phase of work because of their personality. I certainly think Callahan fits in that group. Some of the best managers or coaches I've worked with have the ability to communicate to everyone on their teams, regardless of their background, intelligence or experience. By most accounts O lineman are some of the smarter football players, so maybe that's partially why he can get his point(s) across to them without alienating them or pissing them off. I think his short stays with teams speaks more to his personality and how that grates on his co-workers and team management. He's just an absolute ass and that gets old.

If this plays out like the media is suggesting, he'll be in Cincinnati for a couple of years and either be an asset as an offensive line coach and more on for various reasons or be given too much power by Taylor and end up ruining the soup bringing about both of their exits. I don't see many other outcomes.

I've worked with some brilliant people in my field that couldn't manage anything but a task or a phase of work because of their personality. I certainly think Callahan fits in that group. Some of the best managers or coaches I've worked with have the ability to communicate to everyone on their teams, regardless of their background, intelligence or experience. By most accounts O lineman are some of the smarter football players, so maybe that's partially why he can get his point(s) across to them without alienating them or pissing them off. I think his short stays with teams speaks more to his personality and how that grates on his co-workers and team management. He's just an absolute ass and that gets old.

If this plays out like the media is suggesting, he'll be in Cincinnati for a couple of years and either be an asset as an offensive line coach and more on for various reasons or be given too much power by Taylor and end up ruining the soup bringing about both of their exits. I don't see many other outcomes.
I just hope ZT doesn’t let BC affect more than what’s is happening on the Oline and run game. Limited to that BC will make him successful. Allowing him to extend into more than that ... well ...

I just hope ZT doesn’t let BC affect more than what’s is happening on the Oline and run game. Limited to that BC will make him successful. Allowing him to extend into more than that ... well ...

That's my concern as well. He obviously thinks highly of him and Callahan was a big influence during Taylor's 'football' formative years. I don't know either man, but it's not uncommon for guys who've been in a 'Mentor/mentee' relationship to have a hard time getting out of their initial roles when brought together later in their careers. Here's hoping they figure it out and Taylor is successful.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back